UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2023, 12:57 pm   #1
Malcolm T
Hexode

Default 10 Mt Band mods and fix for old Kanga Kits Oscillator / VFO

I am looking for a simple Osc / VFO Circuit for QRP / experimentation in the 10 Mt band , there are many circuits for 80 and 40 etc but not as many for 10 Mts.
Transistor circuits preferred. 1 - 2 Watt o/p would be nice .
Can anyone help here please.
I have the remnants of a complete Kanga kit here , it hasn't been out of the project box for 20 odd years and want to get it finished and working on 10 Mts All the other boards are finished but the previous owner had difficulty in getting any RF from the TX output.
I have the Five boards, one of them is already in the baccy tin but no circuit diagrams either,
havnt a clue where they went too !
Any help appreciated as i want to have a bash at 10 Mts /P
Old 4th Apr 2023, 7:43 pm   #2
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: 10 Mt Band mods and fix for old Kanga Kits Oscillator / VFO

The QRP notebook is an excellent read and should give you great inspiration, even if you have to scale component values from say 20 metres to 10 metres. There is a design called the 'lil slugger" in the book for 10 metres, all that you would have to do is design a VFO/ buffers to replace the Xtal osc.
The book is available for download for free if you look.
There is also info on Colpitts VFO's for any frequency.

Last edited by Cruisin Marine; 4th Apr 2023 at 8:00 pm.
Old 4th Apr 2023, 8:11 pm   #3
Malcolm T
Hexode

Thanks for that , i have never seen that book before.
Old 4th Apr 2023, 9:08 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

28MHz is quite high for a VFO if you want good stability. You'd expect drift to increase pro-rata, but it's a bit worse than that.

Good components, mechanically speaking, help a lot.

George Burt, GM3OXX had a transceiver based on a 28MHz unit with band transverters for all the other bands. He used a gearbox and variable capacitor and coil former robbed from a BC221 wavemeter. I used his rig back in the eighties and it was superb. George worked far over 300 countries with 1 watt output using this.

David
Old 4th Apr 2023, 9:32 pm   #5
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

It is much easier to accomplish a stable VFO if you stay on one of the QRP frequencies of 28.060 CW, 28.885 SSB and 28.110 Novice?, as listed in my hard copy of the aforementioned book. By restricting the VFO range.
I have found temperature drift to be the biggest problem in the past.
I even made a VFO "oven" with a comparator and some heating resistors and a sensing thermistor from distant memory.
But the simple addition of a few warm baking/heating resistors/bulbs works pretty well, you still have to allow quite some warm up time though.

Most of that I think is covered in the book from memory.

Last edited by Cruisin Marine; 4th Apr 2023 at 9:55 pm.
Closed Thread