UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2023, 8:50 pm   #1
DonaldStott
Octode

Exclamation AF117 Transistors

I’ve read lots of Threads on this Forum and others on the ‘tin whiskers’ problem with AF117 transistors.

I have a Roberts R300 to restore and if required what are the current recommendations on replacements. I know that in the past alternative Russian transistors were an option, but no longer, for obvious reasons - hope this doesn’t breach Forum Rules!
Old 8th Mar 2023, 10:03 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: AF117 Transistors

The recommended replacement for AF117 is AF127. Exactly the same transistor in a much smaller package. However if you browse various threads about AF117 replacement you will find a lot of people have had success with silicon types BC557 and similar types.
Old 8th Mar 2023, 11:26 pm   #3
Liamo81
Tetrode

There are some GT322s on ebay from a Ukrainian seller at present, pricey though.
Old 9th Mar 2023, 12:10 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

I think you've already answered your own question Donald.

Apart from dramatically increased difficulty in getting the Russian alternatives, all the options described in the threads you've read remain. No new options have opened up since then.

Go read them again. There's more detail and help in those threads than anyone's going to remember and retype without having to go through them all themselves. It's quicker if you do it directly. The threads have all the reasoning behind the suggestions and people's choices, so this should help you form your own decision.

Me? I'd just take the silicon route and adjust bias as needed. I wouldn't want to eat into reserves of germanium devices which could be needed for things where there is no choice.

David
Old 9th Mar 2023, 9:58 am   #5
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Apart from dramatically increased difficulty in getting the Russian alternatives, all the options described in the threads you've read remain.

No new options have opened up since then.
Thanks David - the sentence I've emboldened in your response is really all I was asking so that's clarified matters for me.
Old 9th Mar 2023, 9:09 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

I suspect that everything needing to be said about AF117 (at least that small part which can be said in refined company) is already on the forum. So time close and let it get on with growing some more whiskers.

David