UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2023, 6:27 am   #141
FrankSinatra
Pentode

Default Re: Heirloom item help please

Thanks Chris will work through these steps shortly
Old 18th Apr 2023, 9:02 pm   #142
FrankSinatra
Pentode

Tried each step Chris can’t see any changes by tapping chassis or valves.

Used servisol again but this didn’t change things either.

It’s like the sound poor speakers make at high volume, like a slight distortion/buz

Good example is playing “hound dog” this shows it in its worst condition, better on other records. Also noticeable on radio.

It’s only present on the left speaker, so when balance is at full left it’s more pronounced. Seems to change with each tone change but just along with the tone of that makes sense.
Old 19th Apr 2023, 9:31 am   #143
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You've now been struggling with this for many months and 142 Posts. Best to get a Member here to look at it for you, there are many in your area. Put up a request on "Service Needed" on here. You won't be ripped off.
Old 21st Apr 2023, 1:49 pm   #144
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Quote:
It’s like the sound poor speakers make at high volume, like a slight distortion
Distortion can be a symptom of many things, not least the leaky capacitor problem frequently mentioned upthread. I can understand your reluctance to dig into the unit to extract the chassis, following the wise strategy of trying not to create new faults to add to the existing one. However, not checking for known troublemakers underneath is like trying to troubleshoot poor car performance without opening the bonnet. And at present you are driving it around without having checked the engine oil level for 50 years. It might be OK or it might be about to self-destruct, turning a simple, cheap and routine job into a major rebuild requiring difficult-to-source parts.

Especially as you now have distortion on one channel, checking and/or replacing those coupling capacitors is a top priority. If they turn out to be of a trustworthy type, then you can move on to other, less likely possibilities. It's also worth noting that leaky capacitors can cause volume and tone controls to become more crackly, because DC leakage current passing through pots makes them more sensitive to bad contact.
Old 21st Apr 2023, 3:47 pm   #145
FrankSinatra
Pentode

Thanks Edward and Lucien, I may take the plunge this weekend and take out the chassis for inspection, I took off the knobs to use some contact cleaner this week so I don’t think it will be as difficult in the end as I expected.
Old 22nd Apr 2023, 12:51 pm   #146
FrankSinatra
Pentode

I’ve taken out the chassis was quite straightforward in the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3180.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	277180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3182.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	277181   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3184.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	277182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3185.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	277183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3183.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	277184  

Old 22nd Apr 2023, 12:55 pm   #147
FrankSinatra
Pentode

Turns out the brown wires that seem to be randomly taped down with loose terminals end up here, what would they be for?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3188.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	277185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3189.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	277186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3190.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	277187  
Old 22nd Apr 2023, 1:23 pm   #148
FrankSinatra
Pentode

Think I have inadvertently cured the distortion, I thought while it was at it I’ll take out the speaker cone and see what it sounds like.

No more than finger tip pressure inside the cone and the distortion disappears, seems like it’s a vibration in the cone causing the noise?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3191.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	277188  
Old 22nd Apr 2023, 1:29 pm   #149
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSinatra View Post
Think I have inadvertently cured the distortion, I thought while it was at it I’ll take out the speaker cone and see what it sounds like.

No more than finger tip pressure inside the cone and the distortion disappears, seems like it’s a vibration in the cone causing the noise?
Quite common, usually it's the voice coil rubbing.

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Apr 2023, 10:55 am   #150
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This sounds like the voice coil is rubbing because the cone has gone out of centre. This is not easy to fix and you may need to buy a new loudspeaker. Yours looks like an 8 x 5 inch unit with (probably) a 3 ohm impedance.
Old 23rd Apr 2023, 9:35 pm   #151
FrankSinatra
Pentode

Thanks Edward, after a little tap and refit the distortion has gone for now and it sounds great again, if the issue reappears I will tackle it as you suggest.
Old 23rd Apr 2023, 11:25 pm   #152
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

If the coil rubbing is caused by the speaker suspension sagging over the years under its own weight as it sometimes is, you can prevent it returning any time soon by refitting the speaker upside-down to how it was originally. It will then take a few decades to sag the other way. If the cause is a misshapen coil former, off-centre magnet etc it won't help, but won't hurt either.

Quote:
Turns out the brown wires that seem to be randomly taped down with loose terminals end up here, what would they be for?
They seem to be the 230V AC power feed to the deck motor. The brown figure-8 cable from the power switch on the back of the volume control is jointed to the brown and black leads that are integral to the deck. If they are not properly insulated, which they should be because they carry mains voltage, you could remake the joints with any suitable type of terminals. A pair of Wago 221 lever connectors would be ideal. as they are fully insulated and quick and easy to fit and uncouple later if you want to pull the deck out for maintenance.

The two brown capacitors badged 'R.T.C.' appear to be the output valve grid coupling capacitors. These are the ones that you do not want to be faulty, lest they damage the output valves and transformers. Despite the 'R.T.C.' marking these appear to be rebranded Hunts Moldseals which are frequent troublemakers and ones that we would all instinctively change before powering up the chassis for the first time. If you intend to keep using this machine, I would strongly advise changing these to avoid it going up in a puff of smoke. They might be OK now but that's little help when they've gone bad and melted the transformers. In reality, they probably aren't OK now. A sharp close-up pic of the caps and the area around the bases of the EL84s would be helpful.

The only others that might be past their best and affecting the sound are the two cathode bypass electrolytics, seemingly mounted on spare tags on the tops of the output transformers. The remainder are mostly ceramic and not immediately suspect.
Old 23rd Apr 2023, 11:40 pm   #153
peterpixel
Pentode

Is this the speaker with the missing screw? This sounds like the magnet has moved due to to the said screw not being there. I have,no doubt with many others,adjusted magnet position by tapping with a small hammer. Perhaps this epic should be called "The case of the missing screw". I now lower my head beneath the parapit. Peter.
Old 25th Apr 2023, 6:41 am   #154
FrankSinatra
Pentode

Thanks for your help, I will look into what’s involved in changing the hunts capacitors now we have identified it as a potential problem.
Old 25th Apr 2023, 6:42 am   #155
FrankSinatra
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpixel View Post
Is this the speaker with the missing screw? This sounds like the magnet has moved due to to the said screw not being there. I have,no doubt with many others,adjusted magnet position by tapping with a small hammer. Perhaps this epic should be called "The case of the missing screw". I now lower my head beneath the parapit. Peter.
Strangely it’s not the missing screw one it’s the opposite!
Old 25th Apr 2023, 9:56 am   #156
peterpixel
Pentode

Even more mystifying,better keep original title. Peter.
Old 27th Apr 2023, 2:24 pm   #157
FrankSinatra
Pentode

I’ve posted in the help wanted section for some assistance on changing the capacitors, not comfortable with that myself but will do some digging as it’s surprising what you can become comfortable with after some research.
Old 27th Apr 2023, 3:37 pm   #158
Gabe001
Octode

I think I have a spare like for like speaker replacement for you if you're struggling with it. Just pm the measurements and I'll double check with mine.
Old 27th Apr 2023, 7:57 pm   #159
FrankSinatra
Pentode

Thanks that’s great will have time this weekend to take it out and measure.
Old 28th Apr 2023, 6:52 am   #160
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSinatra View Post
Thanks Edward, after a little tap and refit the distortion has gone for now and it sounds great again, if the issue reappears I will tackle it as you suggest.
I'm having some difficulty in following your Posts as now having said "it sounds great again" - you seem to have moved on to changing some of the caps. What really needs to be done to this now then?