UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th May 2023, 9:37 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile 'Lucy' cut out.

Hi',
There was a thread recently about 'Lucy' boxes, or street pillars.
I was rummaging in my junk box and unearthed this unused Lucy street lamp cut-out that I'd forgotten I had that I thought you might be interested in.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy fuse 2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	279010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy fuse 1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	279011  
Old 31st May 2023, 2:54 pm   #2
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Default Re: 'Lucy' cut out.

That's interesting Pete ..... I note no provision for an EARTH termination though ?

Rog
Old 31st May 2023, 3:54 pm   #3
broadgage
Nonode

Cool Re: 'Lucy' cut out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet View Post
That's interesting Pete ..... I note no provision for an EARTH termination though ?

Rog
Probably from before PME came into general use. Earthing to sheath of supply cable.
Old 31st May 2023, 4:11 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: 'Lucy' cut out.

Many of the old streetlights I recall only had live and neutral feeds [run as overhead wires on insulators].
Old 31st May 2023, 5:12 pm   #5
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: 'Lucy' cut out.

Hi,
I seem to remember seeing inside a street lamp column many years ago when the council came round in a Ford tower van to replace failed filament lamps. I think the earth was connected to an uninsulated post, (much like the neutral bar in the cut-out) screwed to the back board alongside the cut-out and Venner time switch.
Cheers, Pete.