UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2023, 11:18 am   #1
sobell1980
Octode

Default GEC BC4940 aerial connection AM?

Hello all

I've been enjoying my GEC BC4940 in my work shop for many years. That's until they switched off Absolute Radio off permanently on MW. Now I struggle to pick up a clear station without some sort of permanent static interference and the station is in and out of reception.

I've moved the radio closer to the strongest signals and linked a wire aerial (length of straight wire) to my workshop racking which has improved things dramatically and I can now get a couple of clear stations without interference. Radio Wales, Smooth and radio Gloucester. I can also pick up radio Caroline fairly well which I was very excited about as this is more my thing . However radio Caroline is suffering interference.

To improve things I've ordered an external aerial that has a stereo 3.5mm jack connection or it can be used inductively placed close to the set. However, I would prefer to connect it up if possible. Would the aerial I've bought be using all 3 parts or connections of the jack plug? Or will it use one section of the plug or will it also benefit an earth connection? I've only ever seen mono jack plugs used as aerial connections and even mono to coax adapters.

I know it will be easy to hook up a length of wire to each output connection of the stereo jack plug to see what path the aerial is connected to. My set obviously has a knurled screw type connection for an aerial connection and not a jack socket.

I guess what I'm asking is I've got to cut the one end of the jack plugs off but which wire is it most likely to be to connect to set. Also your thoughts on the aerial set up. It's also tuneable itself.

Many thanks

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230526_102123_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	278769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230526_102116_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	278770  
Old 26th May 2023, 12:08 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Gec bc4940 aerial connection am

Any instructions with the new aerial?
Old 26th May 2023, 12:18 pm   #3
sobell1980
Octode

I'm waiting for it to arrive today.
Just hoping that perhaps the experts on here had come across this type before.
Old 26th May 2023, 12:19 pm   #4
Gabe001
Octode

I think that aerial doesn't necessarily need a physical connection to the set.

Keep your set with the wire aerial and put the tecsun AN-100 (or is it the 200?) loop near the set and see what happens.

They get decent reviews. ps, you can download the manual online for free
Old 26th May 2023, 12:25 pm   #5
Gabe001
Octode

Just seen that there are a few threads on this forum about the aerial you've bought

This may help
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/....php?p=1415083
Old 26th May 2023, 12:26 pm   #6
sobell1980
Octode

This is about all I can glean at the moment, below.

Tecsun AN200

The AN200 tunable indoor loop antenna can really improve the reception of Medium Wave stations on most radios throughout the entire Medium wave band.

The AN200 can boost the reception provided by the ferrite antenna that is built in to most portable radios, or it can simply be placed near the radio to boost reception, it does not need to be connected or plugged in to your Medium Wave radio to work !

The AN200 has a built-in tuning dial to peak reception of the desired frequency or station at the same time providing selectivity to reject unwanted stations and noise. The antenna is directional and so can be turned to optimise reception of a specific station.

The AN200 Antenna is passive and so does not require a power source.

Features & Specifications:

Frequency coverage: 520Khz - 1710Khz
Size: 9-inch diameter loop
Dimensions : approx 10 x 9 x 3 inches ;
Weight:approx 450g
Old 26th May 2023, 12:34 pm   #7
sobell1980
Octode

Default Re: GEC BC4940 aerial connection AM?

Thanks everyone who has replied. I guess the two wires in the Jack plug I will connect to A an E for best results. Try which ever way round with the two wires for best results or will it be obvious which is earth or ground to the Jack plug? Then it's tune the new aerial to best results or whatever interference one deems acceptable. It is MW after all but the hash and clicking I'm hoping to tune out to as good as the stronger stations I can pick up clearly.
Closed Thread