UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2022, 10:01 pm   #1
iainmaoileoin
Triode

Default B141 battery socket - sky baby etc - plans

I have a sky baby that has been renovated/restored. But.... the only battery I could source did not have the correct connector => only some "mains screw terminal strips". Works OK but not ideal - as they "splay" the connectors on the radio.

I was also looking for something a bit easier to swap around between kit. I might use a 90v 1.4v mains unit when I dont want to kill the 10 x 9v batteries.

See www.behind-the-radar.co.uk/skybaby/index.html for details of where I got to.

In summary I found the that molex sockets from old PC hard drive cables were a good fit for each of the sky baby red/yellow/black/brown connectors.

So I 3D printed a circular holder with the 4 (offset) holes to grip the molex pins, and away I went.

I have a better 3D print now - that has a panel mount plate on it. But the gist is the same.
Old 5th Nov 2022, 10:19 pm   #2
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: B141 battery socket - sky baby etc - plans

Your link comes up as “not found” for me at least:

Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS) Server at www.behind-the-radar.co.uk Port 80

Peter
Old 5th Nov 2022, 10:32 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Not just for you.

I did have a quick squint at behind-the-radar, but couldn't spot anything that looked relevant.

I will, however, have a look at molex sockets as possible substitutes for connectors on HT/LT batteries.
Old 6th Nov 2022, 1:24 am   #4
iainmaoileoin
Triode

Idiot here the link is http://www.behind-the-radar.co.uk/sky-baby/index.html
I missed an minus. Sorry about that. Original post edited.
Old 6th Nov 2022, 1:26 am   #5
iainmaoileoin
Triode

Bad link given, repaired below. I cant seem to edit the original post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmaoileoin View Post
I have a sky baby that has been renovated/restored. But.... the only battery I could source did not have the correct connector => only some "mains screw terminal strips". Works OK but not ideal - as they "splay" the connectors on the radio.

I was also looking for something a bit easier to swap around between kit. I might use a 90v 1.4v mains unit when I dont want to kill the 10 x 9v batteries.

See www.behind-the-radar.co.uk/sky-baby/index.html for details of where I got to.

In summary I found the that molex sockets from old PC hard drive cables were a good fit for each of the sky baby red/yellow/black/brown connectors.

So I 3D printed a circular holder with the 4 (offset) holes to grip the molex pins, and away I went.

I have a better 3D print now - that has a panel mount plate on it. But the gist is the same.
Old 6th Nov 2022, 9:50 am   #6
Cobaltblue

The edit time on posts is 30 minutes.

It would be better if you posted in the thread since over time the links get broken rendering the thread useless.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread