UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2018, 5:51 pm   #1

Default Tape Speeds

Why didn't tape speeds start with a multiple of two, that would save all this 7 1/2" or worse 15/16th etc. stuff.

Old 14th Oct 2018, 6:07 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Tape Speeds

Just a historical accident?

IIRC the original German machines ran at 72 cm/sec, this was rounded up to 30 in/sec (= 76.2 cm/sec) because 30 has many factors, and it was not obvious that successive developments would be based on halving the speed each time. Someone might have gone straight with "triple play" at 10 in/sec, rather than 15 and then 7.5.

Or, if the firm developing the tape recorder for peacetime use had been metrically-minded and stuck with the original units, 72 cm/s would have stood three "halvings" before introducing a fraction.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 6:22 pm   #3
llama
Octode

I'd always assumed they divided down from 10 feet per second - maybe used for wire recorders(?)
Graham
Old 14th Oct 2018, 6:47 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

A thingy just jumped across a whatsit in my memory then: something about an old recording device used by the BBC, with a flat steel tape running at 10 or 5 feet per second. Maybe that is where 30 in/sec (= 2 ft 6 in/sec) came from .....

I doubt the person who made the original decision is still around to ask, unfortunately .....
Old 14th Oct 2018, 7:16 pm   #5
Restoration73
Nonode

I think this is the potentially lethal device
http://www.orbem.co.uk/tapes/blattner.htm
Old 14th Oct 2018, 8:05 pm   #6
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

There are two, or perhaps three, strands here.

First there was the Blattnerphone - steel tape, running at 10 feet per second, longitudinal recording, DC bias and dangerous to anybody within twenty feet, as the edges of the tape were razor-sharp. The Blattner patents were acquired by Marconi, who made a rather more civilised device with loop bins on either reel and thyratron control of the spool motors, so that a tape breakage resulted in a sudden stop rather than mayhem.

Although Lorenz made steel tape machines in Germany in the late 'thirties, RRG (German Radio) preferred the plastic-tape Magnetophon. Initially, broadcast versions ran at 1m/s, this speed necessitated by the quality of the early tapes and the use of DC bias. When RRG rediscovered AC bias (a happy accident - one day a Magnetophon started sounding phenomenally good, and was pulled into the workshop to find out why - the record amplifier was oscillating at tens of kHz), the tape speed was reduced to 77cm's, and it was at this stage that the technology was captured. The first non-German machines were more or less straight copies of the Magnetophon, and carried this speed over - I think it was Ampex who led the way with 30ips on the original 200 machine. The EMI BTR-1 ran at 77cm/s, which sets elephant traps for those remastering early tapes.

A lot of the Blattnerphone stories have been concatenated with tales of VERA, the BBC's linear video recorder. It ran half inch tape at 200 ips, with two-foot spools and lots of heavy engineering, but wasn't quite as dangerous as the Blattnerphone - at least the tape was plastic, even if the reels were still metal.
Closed Thread