UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2018, 11:54 pm   #1
SpyguyUK
Tetrode

Default Plasma TV/ Betamax Compatibility

Hi Everyone,

I've just joined the forum and would like to say Hi.

I have some information for those of you own Plasma TV's which you use with a Betamax VCR. Many Betamax models work fine of course with Plasma TV's but in previous messages I notice a couple of people including myself have experienced issues with the picture on Playback.
Sanyo M20 and NX100 seem fine but when using my Sanyo 5000 I noticed speckles or white dots like interference on the screen.

This seems to happen when you connect to your TV via a Hard Drive or HD/DVD Recorder which then goes through HDMI into your TV.
The interference does not seem to happen when you connect direct to TV via Scart, AV3(Phono/RCA Leads) or RF.
I even used the machine that caused the issues through HDMI and issues didn't happen when connecting Betamax VCR via AV3 input - Not Scart adaptor.

Hope this may be of help to some of you.
Old 1st Sep 2018, 7:45 am   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Plasma TV/ Betamax Compatibility

I had absolutely no idea that anyone still used Betamax. While clearing our loft after several decades of junk accumulation I tossed a whole boxful of prerecorded Betamax tapes into our local dump two days ago.

Craig
Old 1st Sep 2018, 10:05 am   #3
Snarf81
Heptode

Damn
Old 1st Sep 2018, 10:38 am   #4
irob2345
Retired Dormant Member

If you are talking about a plasma and not an LCD TV, I recall seeing that effect with Plasmas some years back. I just backed off the contrast so the limiter wasn't hitting the stops and the speckles went away.
Closed Thread