UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2018, 5:13 pm   #1
Bigmike1958
Tetrode

Default Bush TV85

Hi, I’ve just seen on a local for sale site a 1959 bush TV model TV85 for sale 20. It has been in a cellar for over 40 yrs, was in house when seller moved in, now moving house need to be rid of. No mains lead, can anyone tell me anything about this model, looks in very good condition. bigmike 1958
Old 21st Jul 2018, 5:53 pm   #2
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Default Re: Bush TV85

I think that if you were to read through these pages, it would answer your questions...
https://www.radiocraft.co.uk/502.htm
Old 27th Jul 2018, 7:13 pm   #3
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Bush TV85

A couple of points about the Bush TV85 (also apply to the TV75 and TV95 series):

The grey Westinghouse selenium rectifier tended to be short lived. In service, we replaced them with an Automat equivalent (dark green) and we never replaced one of those!

You can, of course, replace the rectifier with a suitably rated silicon diode but remember to fit a suitable series resistor to keep the HT voltage to its design figure.

Behind the voltage selector panel are (or were) two green 21Ω WW resistors. (The values might vary by about one ohm or so in different chassis but 21Ω is close enough.) If only one (or neither!) has been replaced, make sure you replace both, as the original Welwyn components were very unreliable. I think they were 4W types and we always replaced them with RS 5W ones, which never failed.

In the link in the previous post there is reference to applying something to the tuner contacts using a metal bladed screwdriver but I wouldn't recommend it as the silver plating is easily damaged.
Closed Thread