UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 21st Mar 2019, 9:21 am   #21
ex seismic
Hexode

Default Re: Crackle paint

Why was this finish used? I wonder if it has some property that makes it worthwhile compared to normal finishes. It may be aesthetic for car dashboards but this is irrelevant in say, US WW2 military kit which uses it quite a lot. Better to grip maybe but again not relevant to a radio fixed in place. And every time I come across it the finish is different so each manufacturer has had his own formula. Again, why bother?

Confused of Tonbridge
ex seismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2019, 9:49 am   #22
M0FYA Andy
Octode

I can see being hard-wearing and non-reflective as two advantages.

Andy
M0FYA Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2019, 9:58 am   #23
phut bang
Triode

i used wrinkle paint on my grampian amplifier there is a picture of it on here in another thread it is very critical for temperature i sprayed it in my electronics shed i have thermometer and fan heater to get things right just clean item to bare surface and follow instructions on can oh, and i switch fan heater off when spraying just in case there is a flash over from fumes
Old 21st Mar 2019, 11:16 am   #24
vidjoman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post

Andy
And it covers a multitude of scratches. I used a brush on variety back in the 50ís to paint chassisís. Brushed on and cooked in the gas oven for a time at low temperature.
vidjoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2019, 12:27 pm   #25
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post

Andy
And it covers a multitude of scratches. I used a brush on variety back in the 50ís to paint chassisís. Brushed on and cooked in the gas oven for a time at low temperature.
Exactly what my dad did with a R1155 cabinet, came out perfect.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 1:38 pm   #26
ColinTheAmpMan1
Heptode

I don't think my photo of the MGB dashboard was very informative, so here is a better one. No ruler for comparison, since the bit near to it wasn't so clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MGB dashboard painted_4.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	180287  
ColinTheAmpMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 3:13 am   #27
FrankB
Hexode

I have purchased "Black & Grey Crackle paints here in the U.S.and it said on the spray can for best results to bake item in the oven at 150-200 F for 1- 2 hrs. It produced the same finish as the U.S. military had on many items. I'd pull the chassis out of the cabinet & bake it.
Note: It DOES smell a lot. The XYL may strongly object to "HER" oven being used.
Likely a heat gun would work, and the XYL won't get into a tizzy.

When you get into the U.S. Military "CARC" paints, that's a whole 'nother ball game.
2 part, epoxy base, very fast setting. (IIRC "CARC" stands for Chemical and Radiation Coating). Most often used on aircraft and vehicles, but I have seen it on radio gear too.
Easy to I.D. as the surface feels like sandpaper, and if you happen to bark your knuckles on it, have a plaster ready. It removes skin like 80 grit sandpaper. (I still have the scars from that from working on my T925 A.M. General 6X6 5 tonner.)
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 6:00 pm   #28
Boulevardier
Pentode

Can all these paints be sprayed direct onto bare aluminium, or does it need an etching primer?

Mike
Boulevardier is offline   Reply With Quote