UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2020, 11:15 am   #1
Cobaltblue

Default Antique Wireless Newsheet

Have these been scanned and put into an archive anywhere?

Many here will know and have subscribed to The Vintage Wireless Company Ltd antique wireless newsheet, and even been to his premises at Fishponds then latter Mangotsfield.

I won't go over old ground about the Proprietor Tudor Rees other than to say in the early days he was a great asset to a very poorly served hobby. I believe he passed away in 2010.

In the main the information in these is now of no real use however some contain quite nice period adverts and some interesting things such as in No 146 July 1988 he was offering a kit to replace the UL41 because they were getting pretty rare.

Should all this info go to waste? I don't know how far mine go back as they are spread over several boxes but I know that I didn't used to keep them once they were out of date the oldest I have found so far is No 98 July 84.

It's part of the history of our hobby, worth keeping?.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 12th May 2020, 1:27 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Antique Wireless Newsheet

I used to have a few, but I think they fell victim to a cull during downsizing. I do have an illustrated catalogue somewhere, and I think it would be worthwhile gathering any remaining scans if members have them, such information is scarce.
Old 12th May 2020, 2:10 pm   #3
Reelman
Octode

I remember as soon as they arrived in the post, taking to work and reading these in my lunch hour in the early 80s. Very interesting and he must have had a huge stock of vintage parts to produce such a large catalogue. There was also a monthly flier with special bargains, usually some weird and wonderful valves which presumably would not sell except at 10 for a pound!
In the same way that many of us wistfully read the old adverts in PW I’d like to see them preserved. I think all my copies disappeared when we moved here in ‘87.
One lasting memory of them was when Tudor was selling a component or valve for a particular purpose he would always describe it as “absolutely correct” for the set concerned. The phrase occurred many times.

Peter
Old 12th May 2020, 8:47 pm   #4
wartime sounds
Tetrode

Hi Mike,

I have a couple of the catalogues scanned and I would think it was worth archiving your info for interest if nothing else. I started my "electronics career" working part time stacking the valve shelves, scrapping chassis's and helping him set up his first shop in Staple Hill before I started my apprentiship into the radio and tv trade. My wife also, when we first got married worked as a mail order clerk in his Mangotsfield shop whilst I worked for a local tv repair company near by. It all seems a world away now but looking back was all good experience.

Peter

www.wartimesounds.co.uk
Old 12th May 2020, 9:03 pm   #5
peter_scott
Dekatron

We used to holiday in the West Country and Tudor Rees' shop was always a must. I have one or two Newsheets still.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tudor (Medium).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	205653  
Old 12th May 2020, 10:01 pm   #6
Cobaltblue

That's a really nice early one Peter.

I don't recall getting any in that style. I don't think I "discovered" him until 81/82 when he was still at Fishponds. Discovered by my best friend who was dating a lovely lady in the pub a few foors down now his xyl.

So I am happy to scan what I have it's a question as to where to host it might be worth contacting Lorne as the BVWS archivist since he may already have these.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 12th May 2020, 10:27 pm   #7
peter_scott
Dekatron

That's the one Mike that caused me to drive from Edinburgh to Cornwall for my HMV901 in a car that cost less than the set.

Peter
Old 12th May 2020, 10:55 pm   #8
Cobaltblue

Not Camborne by any chance a small junk shop at the bottom of the high street ?

I used to do maintenance in Devon and Cornwall 1978 to 1984 and I regularly dropped into junk shops all over both counties. I bought my first TV22 in Camborne and the proprietor said you should have been here last week I had a pre war telly

Cheers Mike T
Old 12th May 2020, 11:05 pm   #9
peter_scott
Dekatron

No, it was a dealer (in the grey pullover) who lived just across the road from the Jamaica Inn. Does that guy look like the Camborne man? I can't remember his name now, he doesn't live there now. The house is still there but it has been very much extended and altered in appearance. The chimneys are about the only thing that looks the same.
https://goo.gl/maps/HY4BScMhejTXBYoN8

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bodmin2 (Medium).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	205667   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV Bodmin2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	205668  

Last edited by peter_scott; 12th May 2020 at 11:29 pm.
Old 13th May 2020, 11:44 am   #10
Cobaltblue

David has responded to my request and they can be added to the BVWS archive which is good news. we need to co-ordinate our efforts to avoid additional work for everyone.

So thanks to everyone who has responded

Hi Peter yes different person I only ever stopped there a few times I was nearly always on the A38 rather than the A30 since at that time I lived in Torquay.

Back then the A30 was not all duel carriageway so mostly to be avoided especially in the summer

I would occasionally use the A30 if I was already in Okehampton needing to go further West or vica versa.

It was often a thankless task going to all these junk shops hence why the antique wireless newsheet was such a boon I must have bought a dozen or more sets of Tudor including my EKCO A22.

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 13th May 2020 at 11:45 am. Reason: Repetition
Old 13th May 2020, 11:57 am   #11
ms660
Dekatron

Did you ever go to Darkie Delves (Alladins Cave) in 'druth?

Lawrence.
Old 13th May 2020, 12:14 pm   #12
Cobaltblue

Possibly although I don't remember the name more likelihood if there was a traffic signal near by!

There was a place down the road from Tolvaddon cross roads bottom of the hill mostly furniture, Great fish and chips at Tolvaddon cross roads.

A short lived "shack" in Pool, its mostly lost in the mists of time!

Cheers

Mike T
Old 13th May 2020, 12:45 pm   #13
ms660
Dekatron

Darkie Delves place was quite close the the traffic lights in down town Redruth, up Back Street West I think.

I remember a junk shop on the left going down Pendarves Street heading from Camborne down to Tuckingmill on the Camborne to Redruth road it was on the left opposite the old Bickford Safety Fuse factory, further back up Pendarves Street was KTV who used to sell second hand TV's.

Lawrence.
Old 13th May 2020, 1:17 pm   #14
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
you should have been here last week I had a pre war telly

Cheers Mike T
It's interesting that pre-war sets were in Cornwall. In TV & SWW there is a report of Mr W.F. Steel of Minehead receiving AP pictures on a Spencer West Low Cost design with an added EF8 RF stage.

Peter
Old 13th May 2020, 1:56 pm   #15
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Seeing that no.38 dates from September '78, I think I must have been a subscriber from very soon after the birth of the publication. My hoarding tendency will have preserved most or all of the issues I received, so if early copies haven't already been digitised I'll look out for them in the coming months while continuing to sort through the boxes from County Durham.

Paul
Old 13th May 2020, 3:12 pm   #16
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Darkie Delves place was quite close the the traffic lights in down town Redruth, up Back Street West I think.

I remember a junk shop on the left going down Pendarves Street heading from Camborne down to Tuckingmill on the Camborne to Redruth road it was on the left opposite the old Bickford Safety Fuse factory, further back up Pendarves Street was KTV who used to sell second hand TV's.

Lawrence.
Yes that's the one! Tuckingmill, Darkie Delves place seems very likely what I recall was 2 places in Redruth one was like a tunnel quite narrow but very deep, the other was this open area with lots of windows, I,m going back 40 years bought an amplion horn speaker in the tunnel,

Cheers

Mike T
Old 13th May 2020, 3:25 pm   #17
ms660
Dekatron

Yes, Darkie Delves place was a bit dark and dingy inside, he lived in the house opposite his emporium, I think further up Back Street West at or near the end was another S/H place which was much better lit, windows getting the sun as I remember, Darkies place had little daylight inside.

There was also another S/H place on the St Day Road just short of its junction with Higher Fore Street in Redruth.

I knew the area well back in the day, for my sins I worked at Rumbelows at Redruth for a while.....the worst place I ever worked at when I was in the trade, couldn't wait to leave there.

Lawrence.
Old 16th May 2020, 8:13 pm   #18
greenstar
Octode

Mike, the American Radio History archive is a huge resource with international coverage. It's a good central place for such material if they are interested, perhaps send to them as well as BVWS.
Tony
Old 16th May 2020, 8:56 pm   #19
Cobaltblue

Hi Tony

That's a great idea once I get some scanning done I will see if they are interested.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 17th May 2020, 12:38 am   #20
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've got some Newsheets and other items I could add to the Archive. It's a really good thing to preserve this sort of info but the extreme focus on just fixing the hardware often misses the restoration point about paperwork perhaps. [I'm not talking about the many restoration geniuses we have on the Forum when I say that]. The N Sheets I have may be here in the south or Rammy, so access may take some time for obvious locked in reasons.

I opened some of my boxes this week that included sections of an RGD 1046 RG. The Guardian news paper packing was dated 2004... 16 years ago It featured a young prince and his hostility to the media Not much changes! I met Tudor Reese when I visited his shop in 1982. I was taking my son to Bristol Zoo and we stopped at Avebury on the way. Tudor told me he was closed on a Monday but let me in as he was stocktaking and very pleasant. I bought a print-out of an R1155 Manual amongst other things! I don't really know what went wrong later with him or in the early days of the BVWS with another significant individual but perhaps I should? These people did make a valuable contribution.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 17th May 2020 at 12:49 am.
Closed Thread