UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2019, 11:36 am   #21
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Removing DIL IC's

See if you can get a fine bladed screwdriver under the IC and wedge it there gently levering as you heat the pins. As others have said, keep the heat to a minimum to stop trace damage.

You can use ordinary copper wire as braid and also the inner of co-ax or shielded cable. make sure to use plenty of flux but make sure you clean it off.

Andy.
Old 21st Jul 2019, 12:11 pm   #22
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

My Antex iron has a tapered bit and I have used a short piece of copper pipe reshaped to clamp on the bit to make a straight edged bit long enough to melt all connections down one side of a through hole chip. The chip can then be tipped sideways and then the other side can be melted to remove the chip.
The attachment can be added to the iron by hand if you are very quick but do not try to remove it without a pair of pliars.!!!

I have an iron with a hollow bit and a manual sucker pump. This is quite good at removing solder from holes and with a bit of luck can free a multi legged chip.
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 3:05 am   #23
trobbins
Heptode

Although I would also normally snip legs, I too have used a custom bent piece of copper plate shaped in a U so that all pads of a DIP are melted at the same time. The copper edges of the U can have filed and tinned tips to align just with the pads. I use a hole in the middle of the U to 'attach' to the iron tip.

And best to use a temp controlled iron and keep the temp as low as practical, no matter what method you use, to minimise collateral trace or pad damage.
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 12:06 pm   #24
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Station X and G6Tanuki's recommendations are the two methods I have very successfully used in the past, along with the good old Weller Pyropen, which, if properly and judiciously used, gives the best results of all, in my experience.
How one tackles the job must mainly depend on the fragility or otherwise of the print on the board, and the closeness of the surrounding components . Tony.
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 6:39 pm   #25
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I will admit to being a little more brutal, and actually crushing the IC with a big pair of cutters, it is messy, but effective - not too sure I would be doing this on anything too rare though.

I have also had no problem using desolder braid with lots of flux