UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 11th Feb 2024, 1:31 pm   #641
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Baird T5 restoration project.

I'm probably just repeating the meaning of Ed's comment but might it be an idea to add a little something to bring the heater up slowly each time, either constant current or a generous slow start to be kind to the weld?
Old 11th Feb 2024, 5:59 pm   #642
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I'm probably just repeating the meaning of Ed's comment but might it be an idea to add a little something to bring the heater up slowly each time, either constant current or a generous slow start to be kind to the weld?
Hi Kevin,
if the CRT is to survive some means of limiting the current surge in the tube filament on switch-on.

Murphy310 wrote: "Not wishing to be a pessimist I doubt this will be a lasting repair especially when the set is transported.
It's really difficult to weld a heater/filament as the required welding current would be well above the filament current for it to be a success, but of course that current would blow the heater out of the window."

How about this? A capacitor charged up to say, 5000volts. Discharge the capacitor across the heater or filament pins of the CRT.
q = CV. (a) the energy sored in the associated electric field is 1/2 joule when the PD is 1 volt.
(b) the PD is one volt when the charge is 1 coulomb.

W = 1/2CVsquared joules. Instantaneous discharge current will be a very high value within the short discharge time.
There is an AW43-80 CRT upstairs which had an OC heater. A blast of EHT fixed the heater for a short while but the "repair" didn't last long. Try the capacitor discharge method.

If 5KV doesn't work a voltage doubler can be tried.

DFWB

Last edited by FERNSEH; 11th Feb 2024 at 6:06 pm.
FERNSEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2024, 11:02 pm   #643
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi David
Yes exactly what I thought was to charge up a capacitor with 5 or 6kv. The problem is if you go too far and blast material off the "loose" ends. I remember shorting out a 1uf 5kv cap fully charged, one hell of a bang and the screwdriver was firmly welded to the capacitor! I'd be thinking of 0.1uf maximum at 5kv.

If successful a simple limiting resistor in series with the heater feed would limit the surge and if the AC supply is too low for that a bridge rectifier made with high current Schottky diodes and a meaty reservoir cap will give you more headroom assuming it's a separate winding on the mains transformer.
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 5:56 am   #644
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi David, I have some NTC's at home from SMPS use the are about 1R when hot, more when cold. It will mean a higher heater voltage feed

Ed
Ed_Dinning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 9:50 am   #645
radiomarktv
Pentode

I would go with the NTC soft start reference to Trevor and Ed’s comments.

You had the set running ok for a while after the first attempt and it seems the next cold switch on surge was too much for the tube.

Mark.
radiomarktv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 9:29 pm   #646
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I have to report the CRT has gone OC heater again.
Will try the capacitor discharge method to weld the filament but to be honest it looks like it'll have to be a Cossor 65K for this set.

DFWB.
Old 22nd Feb 2024, 11:16 pm   #647
FERNSEH
Dekatron

This Cossor 65K will go into the Baird T5 after a number of reversible modifications have been carried out.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cossor_3265_CRT.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	293470  
Old 15th Mar 2024, 11:51 pm   #648
peter_scott
Dekatron

A period shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	432725109_10233504666258203_7453638774860868355_n.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	294813  
peter_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2024, 12:14 am   #649
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Peter,
that's a big scary tube. Seems they were oblivious to the danger of implosion in those days.
Although, I guess we all were.

DFWB.
Old 16th Mar 2024, 1:48 am   #650
Panrock
Nonode

It's now approaching 90 years of age and this is seriously old. Doesn't glass slowly flow over the time scale of centuries? Could a structure containing a vacuum become unstable long before that?

Steve