UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2020, 8:06 pm   #21
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Very interesting auction of communications equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3VKM_Roger View Post
Not a lot of room for a well-attended auction
That's normal at the auctions I attend - have to park miles away and walk!

Nearby roads are yellow lined, probably because there's been previous problems with indiscriminate parking on sale days.

Best to get out and fetch your car before the end of the sale so that you can (hopefully) grab one of the few spaces at the venue itself before everyone else does the same for loading up your goods (if you've bought anything, that is). It often involves going in one entrance and back out again and round the block until a space becomes available. Recently, a particular 'pest' has regularly been parking a large van right in the isle to load up, completely blocking the car park, for an hour sometimes, and it's a one way system. The auction staff ought to sort him out, people have been getting very irate!
Old 16th Jan 2020, 9:49 pm   #22
PJL
Dekatron

Cataloguing is a bit wild. The Mullard Valve tester is split between 3 lots.
Old 16th Jan 2020, 11:22 pm   #23
Chris G0EYO
Pentode

Because of parking issues, I now only bid on auctions online and if successful go and pick item(s) up a few days later when parking is not an issue.
Chris G0EYO
Old 17th Jan 2020, 2:56 pm   #24
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Splitting things across several lots _could_ be a cunning ploy by the auctioneer to delight his customer by maximising the profits from the auction by making you buy 2 or 3 lots rather than just the 1.

It's not uncommon for 'sets' of things to be split this way by a smart auction-house: I've seen the plates/cups/saucers of a bone-china dinner-service worth £1000 or so be sold as one lot but its matching gravy-boats sold as a different lot [intermingled with a load of other cheap-and-nasty crockery] sold separately. Auctioneer gets to shift two lots!

Looking at the catalog there's indeed some interesting lots - several Clansman PRC320s, some WWII-era Collins "TCS" TX/RX gear, and some Redifon stuff too.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 7:18 pm   #25
emeritus
Dekatron

Reminds me that when a local Marconi site shut down, the auction included many items of test gear. The manuals for the test gear were sold separately in three or four lots without itemising what each lot contained.
Old 18th Jan 2020, 4:59 pm   #26
ex 2 Base
Heptode

As some one mentioned earlier, will the auctioneers parcel up and dispatch. So I went along to auction premises this morning to enquire, yes the will, World wide said the lady. No doubt at a price. I think when Peter bought his very early AVO he had it delivered from the same venue. I hope that is of help. John
Old 18th Jan 2020, 6:39 pm   #27
David G4EBT
Dekatron

If this really is - as has been intimated - the collection, or more accurately the 'hoard' - of one deceased G3, it beggars belief. ('The Hoarder Next Door' comes to mind). I've just had a quick scan of the 101 lots, and as near as I can tell, there are 180 domestic sets, plus horn speakers, empty wooden boxes that had once housed pre-war radios, boxes of valves and other bits and bobs. Then another 125 or thereabouts amateur and military sets, plus test gear, heaps of old phones, sundry boxes of spares and junk, a box of 50 panel meters, heaps of test gear and so on.

I think that if we believe that the auctioneers have somehow split the lots (as has clearly happened with some equipment) with the intention that bidders would have to bid for say three lots to get a complete HRO, we're endowing the auctioneers with abilities, attributes, inclinations and limitless time that they don't possess.

What a tedious and irksome task it must have been to have sorted this mountain of neglected and in many cases, seemingly incomplete equipment into some semblance of order, to transport it to the auction, photograph it, manhandled it to put it on display for viewing, then to organise and conduct the auction, and maybe to have to ship lots of it to all points of the compass.

They've made some attempt to put certain makes of sets into lots - Roberts for example, and three lots of Heathkit equipment.

Viewing next Weds/Thurs, Auction next Friday.

I guess some forum members will watch it live online and a few might even bid.

Don't know if the results are published on the auctioneer's website in due course.

Unlike eBay, both the buyers and the sellers have auction costs to pay. The 22.5% buyers' premium/VAT/Sales tax, plus 5.94% % online commission/VAT/Sales tax, total 28.4% significantly adds to the 'hammer price' so £100 becomes £128.40, £200 becomes £256.80, £300 becomes £385.20 and so on. Seems to me that for an auction of this magnitude, with bulky and heavy equipment to dispose of, the auctineers deserve every penny. Money for old junk, yes, but certainly not 'money for old rope'!

The whole auction has 230 more non-radio related items to dispose of too! 331 lots in all, between 10.30am - 4.30pm.

The mind boggles!
Old 18th Jan 2020, 7:38 pm   #28
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
If this really is - as has been intimated - the collection, or more accurately the 'hoard' - of one deceased G3, it beggars belief. ('The Hoarder Next Door' comes to mind).

I think that if we believe that the auctioneers have somehow split the lots, we're endowing the auctioneers with abilities, attributes, inclinations and limitless time that they don't possess.

What a tedious and irksome task it must have been.
Absolutely David, they just wouldn't have the time. I find this sort of mix up all the time at local auctions. There was a Linguaphone gramophone at one of the sales which was in the (expensive) room which is connected to the internet, while in the other room where the 'clutter' sale was going on at the same time, I bought a lot that happened to include the Linguaphone records in their proper matching case that should have been with the gramophone in the sale in the other room.

If it wasn't for me having a couple of property moves necessitating big clear outs over the years, then that 'hoard' could easily be similar to the collection that I might have had by now
Old 19th Jan 2020, 12:35 am   #29
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Folks, a friend of mine in N Yorks died last year and his extensive collection was sold at Tennant's. Fortunately it was lot'ed by an experienced auctioneer not unknown on these forums in a sensible manner and realised a good sum for his widow, looks like this may not be the case here.
I'll watch the proceedings with interest (but not bidding) and see if all items are sold. It would be interesting to see if there are min bids set and what happens to unsold items. If they are "rounded up" into the next lot they could ake that expensive if carriage is then added.

Ed
Old 19th Jan 2020, 9:45 pm   #30
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I was just pondering on a 'guesstimate' of the likely weight of this 'cornucopia' of clobber. Given that this is a vintage radio forum, the auction is of vintage radio equipment and I'm of pre-decimal vintage myself, it seems appropriate to use pounds and tons as units of weight rather than kgs and tonnes.

A Bush DAC90A weighs 10 Ibs, a Bush TR82 weighs 7 Lbs. Let's assume that an average weight of the 180 domestic radios on offer is 8 Lbs. That's an approximate total of 1440 Lbs - just over half a ton. On the military/amateur radio side, an 1155 weighs 33Lbs (yes, some have steel cases, other aluminium). Some sets in the auction will weight less (amateur stuff) other will weight more, but so as to not split hairs, let's say an average of 25 Lbs, which may be a bit on the low side. So, 125 Mil/AR sets x 25 Lbs = 3,125 Lbs. Thus, those whole lot will be 1,440+3,125 Lbs = 4,565 Lbs. One ton = 2,240 Lbs, so the whole collection will tip the scales at just over two tons.

Strewth!

It will be interesting to see how 'avoirdupois' pounds compare to GB £s after the auction!
Old 21st Jan 2020, 8:11 pm   #31
M6SPW1974
Pentode

Some interesting bits, but the buyers premium / fees of 28.4 % is a bit steep for my liking,especially when i can go to auctions & find similar equipment with 0% buyers premium also the fuel to get there & back would just tip the scales too far for me.

Good luck to anybody that bids / attends the auction, going to bow out & watch this time

Last edited by M6SPW1974; 21st Jan 2020 at 8:33 pm.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 3:09 am   #32
Techman
Dekatron

I popped into one of the auction houses on the outskirts of the local city today (well yesterday now) to have a look round - the sale is tomorrow (well today now). The only item that I might have been interested in was a rather nice Hacker record player, all complete with both single play and autochange record spindles. Unfortunately, it's been plonked together with one of those large and bulky electric reclining armchairs, so it's unlikely that I'm going to bother to go, as I don't want to be lumbered with the armchair. I'm finding this sort of thing more and more with this saleroom and am struggling to buy anything radio related. The other month there was a Bush VHF61 lumped together with a whole host of unrelated stuff. The bidders were obviously bidding for some of the other 'desirable' items in the lot, whereas I was only interested in the radio. The price for the lot went right up and I suspect that whoever bought the lot dumped the radio in the nearest bin when they got outside. That was in the 'clutter' room, whereas in the (normally) 'expensive' room with internet bidding and lots are often sold as single items, there was one of those big all singing, all dancing Telefunken Concertino radios with VHF/FM from the mid to late 50s, which looked unused for decades, but basically complete. It was a high lot number which would have come up late in the afternoon or even early evening and I've had enough by just before the end of the 'clutter' sale that finishes just after dinner, so I usually go home at that time, which I did. I later checked up to see how much that radio went for and was horrified that it only made a fiver, which is the lowest bid accepted in that room (wish I'd hung around). I am registered to bid 'on-line' with them, but have never used the facility, and you can only use it to bid on items listed in that room anyway. Interestingly, at the same sale in the same room, a Philco 444, complete, but with no back, I think made forty quid.

The thing is, I really don't need anymore record players or radios and I really should be getting rid of some rather than buying more - well, that's the plan!
Old 24th Jan 2020, 1:06 am   #33
Big Al...
Tetrode

After all the build up did anyone manage to buy anything at the auction?
Old 24th Jan 2020, 1:27 am   #34
M6SPW1974
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al... View Post
Its not on until later today Al, no doubt with this post the prices will go through the roof now pal,
a lot like Roberto being present at Gnosall
Old 24th Jan 2020, 6:36 am   #35
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
I suspect that whoever bought the lot dumped the radio in the nearest bin when they got outside.
So there's just time to hire a skip and plant it handily outside the auction house and see what freebies it collects? Stick a bit of general rubbish in to give people the right idea......

David
Old 24th Jan 2020, 11:39 am   #36
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
I suspect that whoever bought the lot dumped the radio in the nearest bin when they got outside.
So there's just time to hire a skip and plant it handily outside the auction house and see what freebies it collects? Stick a bit of general rubbish in to give people the right idea......

David
An old mattress to cushion the fall when its thrown in?

Peter
Old 24th Jan 2020, 3:30 pm   #37
M6SPW1974
Pentode

Lord please tell me that was Roberto as the internet buyer who was bidding & winning the majority of the lots of valves
it had to be surely?? unreal those prices being paid (especially with the buyers premium fee on top) when you are more or less buying blind through the internet

Last edited by M6SPW1974; 24th Jan 2020 at 3:36 pm.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 10:27 pm   #38
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al... View Post
Well then?

Any forum visitors/bidders?

Anyone get anything they were keen to acquire?

How many lots had no bids?

Do the auction results get published?

Etc.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 11:11 pm   #39
M6SPW1974
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

Do the auction results get published?
Today's auction results can be found here from page 5 onward's,some people seriously paid out for stuff,no doubt this thread contributed towards that ....

https://www.davidduggleby.com/auctio....aspx#MOVEHERE
Old 24th Jan 2020, 11:39 pm   #40
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Thanks for the link.

Crikey - it’s true then - ‘the only difference between men and boys is the price they pay for their toys’.

(Plus 28.4% buyer’s premium of course)
Closed Thread