UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2017, 3:54 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: GEC 2013DST Television.

Not specific to this TV, but look out for faults [open circuit] in those 'stick' resistors.

The end-caps pressed on to the carbon stick are made of brass and they go brittle with age - often a crack opens up along the entire length of the cylindrical part at which point the cap makes a poor-to-nonexistent contact with the stick, specially if a bit of corrosion also gets in there.
Old 17th Sep 2017, 7:33 pm   #22
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
"Nice to see the original back screws" the picture shows the back on with no screws so I sense a hint of sarcasm?
Ha ha!. Not at all. The back screws used on these GEC/Sobell receivers used to rust in place and were difficult to remove. I thought they were in place in your picture. Still nice and original. John.
Old 18th Sep 2017, 11:10 pm   #23
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
These were nice sets. Like ITT, GEC used the same basic chassis - with substantial modifications - from the 2000 DST right through to the Series One (2047). I remember reconditioing a slightly later version with a wooden front and selling it to a school friend.
The last one like yours I saw was rather sadly on the wall of a pub/venue in Chester (Telford's Warehouse). Sadly because it had been cut so it was only half deep and had shelves put across the screen aperture. Needless to say the innards would have graced a skip some time ago.
Glyn
Old 19th Sep 2017, 8:52 pm   #24
poppydog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Ha ha!. Not at all. The back screws used on these GEC/Sobell receivers used to rust in place and were difficult to remove. I thought they were in place in your picture. Still nice and original. John.
No worries John, they came out easy and they will be supplied with the TV.

Regards
Poppydog
Closed Thread