UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2017, 5:06 pm   #21
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Triang Children's Record Player

I am mainly just doing it as a bit of a learning project, if I need some part that costs 50 quid of course I'm not going to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
The amplifier can almost certainly be repaired if it is faulty. The only component that would be difficult to get is that little driver transformer in the middle of the PCB, and that is unlikely to be defective.

The problem, of course, is finding out which component(s) are faulty, particularly if you don't have much experience. But I am sure people here can talk you through it.
Okay, well that's comforting. Thanks to the friendly community here.
Old 16th Sep 2017, 8:23 pm   #22
Herald1360
Dekatron

From the pictures of a previous attempt at reviving one of these, the cartridge is unique and made of unobtainium. There are however nowadays some seriously cheap and not rubbish quality Chinese ceramic cartridges (couple of quid tops) that may be worth some bodgery to fit.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 16th Sep 2017, 9:25 pm   #23
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Well if it is botched I guess that'd be an option.
Old 16th Sep 2017, 10:33 pm   #24
julie_m
Dekatron

Chinesium must be better than Unobtainium ..... Having one of the aforementioned cartridges (this one actually says "Japan" on it, but that might be fake too) to hand, I ran my trusty measuring stick over it, and got the following measurements:

Width 9.59mm.
Height 8.83mm.
Length 26.82mm.
Pins 4.50mm.
Old 17th Sep 2017, 9:48 am   #25
duncanlowe
Nonode

I'm pretty sure I had one of these when I was young. If not it was something very similar. The reason for mentioning it was it hardly ever worked. I seem to remember it ate batteries so my parents were loath to spend money replacing them.
Old 17th Sep 2017, 12:54 pm   #26
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Alright, since I'll be able to get to work tomorrow, I thought I'd ask some questions so I can begin the restoration.

1. How would I check if the white transistor looking things still work, and if they don't where can I buy some new ones?
2. How can I check if the amp is working, and if it isn't where could I buy a new one?
3. There are some cables missing, so will everyday hardware store copper wire work?
4. Is there any way to check if the stylus is working? And if it isn't then how would I connect a different one from China?

Thanks alot for all the help so far everyone!
Old 17th Sep 2017, 5:21 pm   #27
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It's not about whether the stylus is working, it's about the cartridge that the stylus sits on is working. But you can't check that until the amp is working - OR - you could try feeding the output from the cartridge through the Aux input on a radio or music player.
Having said this, is the motor working OK so it can to drive the turntable?
You can replace the old amp with a simple mono audio module from say Maplins which will work better than trying to work your way through that very old original amp with its hard to replace transformer/s and other suspect components.
Old 17th Sep 2017, 5:58 pm   #28
camtechman
Nonode

Jacob,

In the words of "Jones'y" of "Dad's Army"...."Don't Panic" LOL.

You've probably found the only bloke on the planet who actually has two of these amplifiers and I've had to work out how they work, not that they're that complicated but they are peculiar in the way they are designed to be connected but, being a Record Player amp it should be straight forward. And what with all the knowledgeable members on this forum, you're in safe hands.......and be grateful that some of us are old enough to even remember when the "ARK" was being built !!!

1) As to the 'white' transistor looking things, they're aluminium cased transistors and although they're getting harder to get, there's alternatives we can suggest but buying an exact replacement amplifier is unlikely but with what you already have there it can be made to work, worry not.

2) As to testing the amplifier, give me a couple of days and I should be able to provide you with a diagram that will enable you to wire it up and how to test it.

3) The type of insulated, multi stranded connecting wire can be obtained from a Maplin Store either online or, if you have one near you, pop in to your local store.

4) Getting a complete Cartridge & Stylus is easy & cheap (the Chinese ones via Ebay) I recently bought 5 for about a couple of pounds each & they arrived in 2 weeks. BUT DO NOT BUT IT YET, lets get through the other jobs first and then buy the cartridge/stylus.

Two other things to test first are 1) The Motor and 2) The oval shaped Speaker. If one or both of these don't work, then you may have a problem.

Two pieces of equipment you must have or buy are, a Soldering Iron & Multi Core Solder and a Test Meter.

P.S. Could you provide a photo of the top part of the record player that shows the Turntable & the Record Arm.

Tony

Last edited by camtechman; 17th Sep 2017 at 6:15 pm.
Old 17th Sep 2017, 6:21 pm   #29
Clydeuk
Hexode

I think the OP is getting confused when asking about the "white transistor looking things", the only white parts I can see on the photo are the Hunts capacitors?
Old 17th Sep 2017, 6:42 pm   #30
ms660
Dekatron

Looks as though the copper print that the B+ wire is soldered to has come adrift...?

Lawrence.
Old 17th Sep 2017, 7:11 pm   #31
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
In the words of "Jones'y" of "Dad's Army"...."Don't Panic" LOL.
It's good to know that I'm in safe hands haha. Okay, so the transistors I shouldn't worry about yet, got it.

Not sure about how to use the diagrams, but again, I'm sure you can explain it for me (right?).

Alright, I'll look into getting some of that wire soon then, I don't actually have a Maplin near me, but I can just order some online.

And as for my fourth question alright, I'll wait. I've attached some images showing the turntable and arm. and the underneath of the cartridge/stylus.

By the way, what thickness of wire should I use as there is a ton of options on Maplin's website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_9617.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	149594   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_9615.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	149595  
Old 17th Sep 2017, 9:16 pm   #32
julie_m
Dekatron

The common sizes of "hookup" wire are 7/0.2 and 16/0.2. (The numbers are strand count / diameter, i.e. 7 or 16 strands of 0.2mm. diameter wire.) You will be fine with just the larger size for this job.
Old 17th Sep 2017, 9:33 pm   #33
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you!
Old 17th Sep 2017, 11:17 pm   #34
Clydeuk
Hexode

Having read through the other thread that was mentioned in an earlier reply and looking at the picture of the arm here, the striking similarity is the amount of rust/corrosion around the stylus. I can only think this is caused by the crystal decomposing after absorbing moisture over the years. As far as I can work out from the other thread the crystal element is open to the elements in these rather than being encased in an actual cartridge. In any case even a proper crystal cartridge of this age would very likely have suffered the same fate by now. The upshot is that it is very doubtful you will get any sound out of what is left of the "cartridge"

The other thread seemed to stall trying to find a cartridge that would fit the arm. I'm assuming it looks bigger in the photo than it actually is.
Old 17th Sep 2017, 11:30 pm   #35
Herald1360
Dekatron

Another pic with a ruler for scale alongside the old cartridge or a dimensioned sketch of the space left when it's removed would tell us whether a "Chinese Cheapy" could be made to fit.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Sep 2017, 12:07 am   #36
Refugee
Dekatron

Perhaps it could be bodged with the sounder from a Christmas card and the stylus out of a cheap cartridge from some place like banggood.
I got quite a posh multimeter that has a simple signal generator to test the amp with and capacitance ranges as well as all the other ranges you will need from babggood for under £15.
On the banggood website search for AN8008.
Old 18th Sep 2017, 2:20 am   #37
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
Not sure about how to use the diagrams, but again, I'm sure you can explain it for me (right?).

Absolutely Right !

It won't be the technical style "Circuit Diagram". Using both your two photos of the actual amplifier (top side & under side) I'll mark it up with arrows pointing to where to place wires (or where wires should be).

I have a mate, now in his 70's like me and although he'd been an electrician & plumber most of his working life had always wanted to understand electronics but thought it would be too complicated and so never took the step. But, when I explained to him that, having been an electrician & plumber, he was 2 Thirds the way to grasping basic electronics.

When I asked him if he was familiar with the London Underground Map, and he obviously did as he lived in London, when I explained and showed him a basic 2 transistor circuit that flashed 2 LEDs and then compared it to plumbing, taps, water flow etc. Then he looked at me and in his East London way said, "Well b****r Me!"

He's now wired up an extensive model railway layout in his loft, electronic signals et al, modified some of his carriages to have LED lighting etc, etc.He's now as happy as a pig in muck!

Last edited by camtechman; 18th Sep 2017 at 2:26 am.
Old 18th Sep 2017, 7:52 am   #38
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Two pieces of equipment you must have or buy are, a Soldering Iron & Multi Core Solder and a Test Meter
Don't be persuaded to buy lead-free solder, though! For most repairs you'll need conventional 60/40 tin/lead flux-cored solder, about 0.7mm diameter. Maplins don't seem to sell it, but there are numerous sources on-line selling small quantities.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 18th Sep 2017, 8:13 am   #39
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Don't be persuaded to buy lead-free solder, though! For most repairs you'll need conventional 60/40 tin/lead flux-cored solder, about 0.7mm diameter. Maplins don't seem to sell it, but there are numerous sources on-line selling small quantities.
I probably sound like a bit of a 7 year old child here, but isn't LED quite dangerous and needs to be handled properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Another pic with a ruler for scale alongside the old cartridge or a dimensioned sketch of the space left when it's removed would tell us whether a "Chinese Cheapy" could be made to fit.
Attached a photo, it's about 14cm long.

Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely Right !

It won't be the technical style "Circuit Diagram". Using both your two photos of the actual amplifier (top side & under side) I'll mark it up with arrows pointing to where to place wires (or where wires should be).
Okay, well that's great then! Thanks alot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_9618.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	149610  
Old 18th Sep 2017, 8:27 am   #40
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I've been working with conventional leaded solder for almost 50 years, and have experienced no problems as a result of using it!
Closed Thread