UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2017, 10:35 pm   #1
GW4FRX
Pentode

Default 1.5mm solder pins (Veropins)?

Connections to the PCBs in an amplifier I'm restoring were originally made by soldering wires directly to the pads on the board. Not being a fan of this method I'd like to connect them to Veropins or similar.

The difficulty is that these only seem to be made in 1.0mm or 1.32mm diameters whereas the PCB through-holes appear to be 1/16in diameter or very nearly 1.6mm. Unfortunately the pads themselves aren't much larger and there's not enough meat for turret tags or thereabouts.

Does anyone know a source of slightly fatter PCB pins? I've combed the internet but not come up with anything.
Old 14th Sep 2017, 11:52 pm   #2
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Default Re: 1.5mm solder pins (Veropins)?

Could you make some out of something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TINNED-COP...z2W8_9PHBRk4CQ they do 1.60mm and there are some 1.6mm PC board drills advertised on ebay?

Kev

Last edited by Oldelectronics; 14th Sep 2017 at 11:57 pm.
Old 15th Sep 2017, 1:32 am   #3
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW4FRX View Post
Connections to the PCBs in an amplifier I'm restoring were originally made by soldering wires directly to the pads on the board. Not being a fan of this method I'd like to connect them to Veropins or similar.

The difficulty is that these only seem to be made in 1.0mm or 1.32mm diameters whereas the PCB through-holes appear to be 1/16in diameter or very nearly 1.6mm. Unfortunately the pads themselves aren't much larger and there's not enough meat for turret tags or thereabouts.

Does anyone know a source of slightly fatter PCB pins? I've combed the internet but not come up with anything.
If there is a paucity of pcb track material, unless the pins are a very tight fit in the hole, there is the risk with forces on the pin that the tracks could lift, this problem is worse on older phenolic pcb's. It helps if splined pins can be found.

There are two methods I have used in the past to remedy the situation:

One method is to use miniature brass eyelets; there are some visible on the pcb's at the end of this article (ignore the article and just scroll to page 20 to see these):

http://www.worldphaco.com/uploads/Hi...d_the_ACS..pdf

The only caveat is that these 1.6mm eyelets are hard to get, the ones I have were purchased in Tokyo, but they might be out there somewhere else, I saw some on ebay once. I had to make my own staking tool, from two brass rods to fit them properly.

The other method is to use miniature 1.6 mm brass screws and nuts. Hex head ones are popular with the model railway people. In this case the screw is fitted through the hole with the hex (or other head) on the track-side, a nut is used on the component side. When tightened this ensures the track is held down well and the head is soldered to the track. Then to attach a wire, a miniature flat lug is used with an extra nut +/- a washer. I used this method on my Eddystone EC10 radios, so I could fit many kinds of trial transistors without any repeated soldering damage to the pcb. I also made a miniature socket wrench to do up the nuts from an Allen key head screw attached to the end of a screwdriver.
Old 15th Sep 2017, 2:36 am   #4
Argus25
No Longer a Member

...these ones look about right:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-Eyelet...QAAMXQBwlRW0K6

The trick when fitting them is to just slightly flare the ends, not so much they split, using a tool with a taper. Then another tool with a flat end to compress them.
Old 15th Sep 2017, 9:38 am   #5
Alistair D
Nonode

I have a large stock here of pins that may just suit your needs. They are a bit difficult to photograph so will describe them as best I can.

Each pin has 3 steps. The bottom one is 2.4mm dia by 0.5mm high. The middle step is 1.7mm dia by 2mm high. The third is 1.8 mm dia by 6.2 high.

I have had these for 20 years or more only ever used 1 or 2 of them. I don't even remember where they came from so if they suit your needs you are welcome to a small bagful FOC + postage, just PM me your details.

Al
Old 15th Sep 2017, 9:38 am   #6
ronbryan
Octode

How about some Harwin pins or turret lugs? The turret lug in the link is 1.57mm diameter, but there are other types of pin on Harwin's web site in the pcb hardware section.

https://www.harwin.com/products/H9001-01/

Ron
Old 15th Sep 2017, 10:52 am   #7
Alistair D
Nonode

Ron's mention of Harwin triggered a memory. The pins I have are H1201B01s

https://cdn.harwin.com/pdfs/H2101B01-H2103B01.pdf

Al
Old 15th Sep 2017, 11:09 am   #8
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Doing a trawl of Farnell, they stock US manufactured turret lugs from Keystone, so they are made to imperial dimensions. Farnell part 2579713 has a shank that is 0.062" (1.57mm) or to fit a 1/16" hole. The picture is representative - that actual terminal has a fork to take the wires (look at the datasheet).

Not cheap at 27.7p each plus VAT.

Craig
Old 15th Sep 2017, 6:34 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

What about using the pins from the little 'link headers' used on PC motherboards ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_header

The usual ones come in strips but can easily be broken-down to singles. The plastic base could be glued to the upper side of the PCB using epoxy-glue after soldering, to provide extra robustness.
Old 15th Sep 2017, 7:14 pm   #10
GW4FRX
Pentode

This really must be the most helpful and knowledgeable forum anywhere on the internet -- very many thanks for all the suggestions.

The Harwin stepped pins look ideal for the job and I've taken up Alistair D on his kind offer. The suggestion to use small brass screws and nuts is also very useful since on inspection some of the holes look even larger than 1/16in and an M2 screw looks as though it will fit nicely.

Wonder why a reputable amplifier manufacturer thought it was good practice to solder wires directly to PCB tracks?
Old 18th Sep 2017, 7:08 pm   #11
GW4FRX
Pentode

Just to wrap this thread up, the Harwin stepped pins arrived this morning from Alistair D and they're perfect for the job. The shoulders of the pin fit into the holes on the PCB very well with a little heat from the soldering iron and the body length is ideal for either wrapping the connecting wire round or vertical mounting and sleeving. So they're ideal for the 1/16in holes.

Argus25's recommendation to use brass screws and nuts looks perfect for the slightly larger termination holes for the output transistors and I'll use that too.

My very grateful thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Closed Thread