UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2022, 3:16 pm   #1
Jimbone

Question Faint recording on one channel Ferrograph 724

I have a problem with my Ferrograph Series 7 Mk2 Model 724 quarter track 3 speed recorder.
It's in great condition but records extremely faintly on one channel. The other channel is perfect. All the other facilities work well, amplifier, inputs, outputs, meters etc etc. It s areal pity.
Please can anyone suggest what the problem mught be and a solution to fix it.
I don't have an electronics backgound so any dissaembly and component level repair would be beyong my resources. I would be prepared to pay for a repair within reason.
many thanks.
Old 13th Jan 2022, 10:33 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Faint recording on one channel Ferrograph 724

Its more common on a quarter track machine for the left track to go weak before the right. This is often because tape head wear affects the left more than the right. The short term solution is to thoroughly clean the offending heads.
Old 18th Jan 2022, 2:07 pm   #3
BillDWVA
Pentode

Default Re: Faint recording on one channel Ferrograph 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbone View Post
I have a problem with my Ferrograph Series 7 Mk2 Model 724 quarter track 3 speed recorder.
It's in great condition but records extremely faintly on one channel. The other channel is perfect. All the other facilities work well, amplifier, inputs, outputs, meters etc etc. It s areal pity.
Please can anyone suggest what the problem mught be and a solution to fix it.
I don't have an electronics backgound so any dissaembly and component level repair would be beyong my resources. I would be prepared to pay for a repair within reason.
many thanks.
One quick check is to make sure that both channels are getting bias applied when in record mode: Meter switch in ‘BIAS’.
Closed Thread