UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2020, 8:32 am   #21
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Avo vcm 163

Hi Folks, a bit of a pain, but with care the old contacts can be removed and a rescued on re fitted . The eyelets are not normally available nor their closing pliers, so use M1.8 or 8BA nuts and bolts

Ed
Old 13th Feb 2020, 11:06 am   #22
vintage_8bit
Heptode

Hi Ed, see post 4 for before and after repair pics.
Old 13th Feb 2020, 7:31 pm   #23
Dekatron
Octode

When your tester has these kinds of problems I can recommend that you check every solder connection on the switches and elsewhere as there might well be more poor connections and in the worst cases unsoldered connections, or wires that have been trapped beneath mounting posts or that have chafed isolation resulting in shorts.
Old 13th Feb 2020, 10:34 pm   #24
vintage_8bit
Heptode

Will do Martin. Been unable to get in shack tonight. I did wonder if that black wire wasn't attached properly in the first place as there was bare wire at tbe end. If it had fractured you woud expect to be still covered in insulation. I will be reporting back on its first power up, after repair.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 1:56 pm   #25
vintage_8bit
Heptode

Posting delay due to touch of Man flu.
Well, it all went back together ok, after close inspection of everything. I have run a few output valves and a largest rectifier on it with believable results, not that I can rely on any results before its had a calibration of course. just had some very low results, both sides with a couple of ECH35's last night. Will check switch settings and check the thumb wheels are doing there job as I'm using positions not tried before. My valve data book is from 1978.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 10:31 am   #26
vintage_8bit
Heptode

Trying a third ECH35 showed good results. So the tester was doing its job. I'm quietly confident that its working now as it should. Thank you all for your help and advice.
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 11:45 pm   #27
vintage_8bit
Heptode

One more question gents. I have just run 9 "807's" through the tester. Only 2 showed no problems. The rest showed varying degrees of leakage or showed some current on the gas test. I would assume that they are all destined for the bin.
I have run several different valves successfully up to now its just these 807's that have these problems.
So do they go in the bin or is some leakage acceptable. My view is the long term reliability would be in question. This particular batch has been sat in damp conditions so wondered if it might just be in the valve base?
Old 18th Mar 2020, 2:01 pm   #28
vintage_8bit
Heptode

Sorry if my last post was a bit off topic but just to tidy up.....
I left one of the 807's in an oven at around 80 degrees for about an hour, to see if moisture in the base was an issue. When it had cooled it went back on the VCM. I got the same results, so there binned now.
Closed Thread