UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2021, 10:18 pm   #1
ChasHeater
Triode

Default A question regards value

Hello all, a little guidance regards value is needed. A chap near me is upping sticks and moving after many years and has some vintage radio equipment: a R1155 receiver, a B40 admiralty receiver and a Hallicrafters S-27 receiver. They are all huge beasts but what could they be worth? The condition looks reasonable and I am being told they worked when last fired up a year or so ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EB4F2FDD-3EFF-40D3-904C-2B18F1239939.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	236205  
Old 21st Jun 2021, 11:10 pm   #2
wave solder
Hexode

Default Re: A question regards value

I always think the best way of finding out value is to go on Ebay and look at the prices of sold items in the completed listings search option.
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 1:47 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Many R1155s were heavily modified in the fifties and sixties when they were released onto the surplus market. People used them as a cheap way to get a shortwave receiver, but they lacked internal power supplies and speaker-driving audio stages. So the DF sections got removed to make space. People wanted the receivers and the matching T1154, oh, and the variometer, but couldn't be bothered about the cables, switches, intercom and other accessories.

In today's market, people want R1155s as museum pieces. They want the DF sections, the cables and accessory boxes, so it's the complete units that fetch the highest prices, and prices depend a lot on what's been done to the thing. If you want one just for use as a receiver, there are substantially better sets on the market.

Certainly look for completed sale prices, but be careful to compare ones in like condition. past BVWS auction prices are another guide.

Murphy B40s are one of those better radios, famously massive. Usually not expensive, they never caught the imagination to the extent their quality justified. If you want a single conversion HF receiver, they may be the best bang per buck. They're the generation after the wartime sets, but before multi superhets were used to fix frequency drift.

David
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 8:14 am   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

As a total guesstamate , you will get I think at least £100 each and possibly more re 1155 and S27.
The S27 does not come up too often. That 1155 has been modified note.
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 9:04 am   #5
Peter F4VSA
Tetrode

I sold two of my B40's a couple of years ago, a B40D for £60 and an A version for £40. They are very heavy and don't have a great following. Only one more to go! When one reaches a certain age one realises that they are too heavy to pick up. As an aside I got my amateur licence in the late 60's. As a 16 year old ex-military gear was the only affordable option for receivers and there were so many around at reasonable prices, yes we butchered them but they were put to use again rather than ending up down a mine shaft. They are a little more precious these days.

Peter G8BZR/F4VSA
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 10:15 am   #6
David Simpson
Nonode

Thing is Chas, if your strong & fit & have a big sturdy workbench - then do as what VRR&R stands for - spend many an enjoyable hour restoring these old beasts. Once you've finished, if you don't want to keep them, then flog them & move on to another challenge. Quite frankly, in their present state, I'd take a punt at £50 each. Surely, later on, restored, you might get £100 each at a Swap-Meet, VMARS, or Retrotech, etc., Auctions.
Sadly, over recent years, I've noticed an increase in "silent-key" disposal situations. Heffing Covid has probably worsened their occurrence. Anything is better than the skip-site or a mine shaft for old vintage stuff.

Regards, David
Closed Thread