UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Sep 2022, 9:58 pm   #1
TopOfChassis
Triode

Default Ekco M23 base panel

Hi all

I've carried out a full restoration of an Ekco M23 and would like to put the final piece of the puzzle together, the (presumably) wooden base panel. I could throw something together of course and be done with it, but after months of work I'd like to replicate an original pattern and finish as far as possible. Does anyone have an image or details to share of an original base panel? I'm particularly interested if there are any ventilation holes etc in the original Ekco design.

Thanks

Derek
Old 23rd Sep 2022, 12:09 pm   #2
ajs37
Heptode

Default Re: Ekco M23 base panel

Hi, took some photos of the base panel from my M23 for you. It isn’t wooden, it’s a bit flimsy imo, seems to be some sort of fibre board, which has shrunk slightly over the years (meaning any measurements are no longer accurate!) - 287mm x 188mm btw. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C992DB21-AA83-419F-914B-1E215CED4E32.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	265138   Click image for larger version

Name:	CB2635BC-0A0E-47B5-919B-95B349C10F3A.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	265139   Click image for larger version

Name:	F5310E9F-4FE4-441F-830D-2E9EF2E707E0.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	265140  
Old 23rd Sep 2022, 12:10 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Forum member ‘Radio Dave’ did a superb total restoration of an M23 some years ago.

See this thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=58032

A bit of a long shot but maybe he still has the radio and could advise, if you drop him a PM?

Hope that might help.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 24th Sep 2022, 12:16 am   #4
TopOfChassis
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs37 View Post
Hi, took some photos of the base panel from my M23 for you. It isn’t wooden, it’s a bit flimsy imo, seems to be some sort of fibre board, which has shrunk slightly over the years (meaning any measurements are no longer accurate!) - 287mm x 188mm btw. Hope this helps
Thank you very much for taking the time to do this, appreciated. I could source some 1/8" hardboard and cover with black faux leather-look stuff, to the pattern shown in your images (with adjustment for shrinkage).
It's clear now from the pics that holes are indeed required not for ventilation but for convenient adjustment of both the selectivity & reaction controls and the hum control!

Derek
Old 24th Sep 2022, 12:40 am   #5
TopOfChassis
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Forum member ‘Radio Dave’ did a superb total restoration of an M23 some years ago.

See this thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=58032

A bit of a long shot but maybe he still has the radio and could advise, if you drop him a PM?

Hope that might help.

Good luck in your quest.
Thank you for your reply David

I certainly was inspired by Radio_Dave's excellent restoration work when I decided to undertake my own M23. I must have studied the excellent narrative & admired the pics in that thread for hours That, and researching the type and Ekco's history online, fascinating.
In particular, Radio_Dave's work provided me with direct guidance on dealing with the rectifier, and inspired me to go the whole hog and do a full strip-down, sandblast, re-wire etc.

Derek
Old 24th Sep 2022, 9:00 am   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopOfChassis View Post

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this, appreciated. I could source some 1/8" hardboard and cover with black faux leather-look stuff, to the pattern shown in your images (with adjustment for shrinkage).

Derek
Just bear in mind that if you do apply anything to one side of a thin sheet of hardboard, MDF or plywood, unless you apply the same material on the other side to balance it, it's likely to warp. It's not a very big area and might not happen, so it's worth a try with the faux leather on just one side and paint the unseen side to balance it.

Good luck with it Derek.
Old 24th Sep 2022, 10:25 pm   #7
TopOfChassis
Triode

[/QUOTE]

Just bear in mind that if you do apply anything to one side of a thin sheet of hardboard, MDF or plywood, unless you apply the same material on the other side to balance it, it's likely to warp. It's not a very big area and might not happen, so it's worth a try with the faux leather on just one side and paint the unseen side to balance it.

Good luck with it Derek.[/QUOTE]

Great tip, I had not considered that. I've ordered some of said faux, we'll see what arrives, but there should be enough to do both sides so I may as well cover the whole thing. Perhaps I'll put something up in 'Success Stories' in a bit to show off my relative newcomer attempts.

Thanks
Derek
Old 24th Sep 2022, 10:35 pm   #8
Cobaltblue

ISTR the original material is millBoard.

A common material back in the day

Last time I needed some I got it from here.

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-146-millboard.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 29th Sep 2022, 11:19 pm   #9
TopOfChassis
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
ISTR the original material is millBoard.

A common material back in the day

Last time I needed some I got it from here.

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-146-millboard.

Cheers

Mike T
Thanks Mike, I've already sourced a small sheet of 2.5mm MDF that was surplus at work. I hadn't heard of Millboard before, will bear it in mind.

Derek
Closed Thread