UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2018, 4:27 pm   #1
Royce77
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dansette Bermuda Mk 1

Got hold of a Bermuda Mk1 new to renovating record players so need a bit of help. Looks as if it has been near heat as the knobs look melted but otherwise cannot see any other damage. It turns on but the amp does not seem to be working, not the valve as I have changed it from another Dansette, EL84 and it worked in the other one. Has anyone got any ideas what it could be.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 4:31 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Dansette Bermuda Mk 1

What are your skill levels? What test gear do you have?

We need to know so that we can post advice at the appropriate level without sounding as though we're patronising you or blinding you with science.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 1:21 pm   #3
Royce77
Retired Dormant Member

Hi no skills as such only what I've picked up doing other record players. Have a test meter. Have restored one record player and had to change the can with three capacitors which worked out well.

You don't have to worry about patronising me but just don't blind me with science. Thanks.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 1:22 pm   #4
Station X

OK. Use your meter to check the HT voltage at the smoothing capacitors. Meter set to DC volts. NEG lead connected to chassis. POS lead used to probe each of the tags on the can in turn. No test voltages given in circuit, but expect 200 to 250V.

Old 14th Feb 2018, 3:52 pm   #5
Royce77
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for getting back to me. I have put the meter on the can and it reads 210, 197 and 5 on the third. Does this help you to identify the problem.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 4:00 pm   #6
Station X

That's good. It indicates that HT voltage is present and the valve is passing anode and/or screen current.

As a next step can you check the voltage, with respect to chassis on all pins of the EL84 except pins 4 and 5 which are the heater. That'll tell us whether the O/P Transformer primary winding is intact. Looking from underneath the pins number clockwise from the gap.

Old 14th Feb 2018, 7:28 pm   #7
Royce77
Retired Dormant Member

Checked the cartridge and swapped it for another I had and hey presto it worked OK it's a bit quiet, but that could be the cartridge. Thanks for all the help, hope it keeps going when I put it all back together again. Once again thanks.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 9:31 pm   #8
Station X

Good to know it's working regardless of how you got there.

Old 14th Feb 2018, 9:53 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce77 View Post
Checked the cartridge and swapped it for another I had and hey presto it worked OK it's a bit quiet, but that could be the cartridge. Thanks for all the help, hope it keeps going when I put it all back together again. Once again thanks.
I suspect the cartridge you have now fitted is a medium-output type whereas the original cartridge was probably a high-output type. You will only get a limited volume with these, but it should be OK for 45s and 78s although not so loud on LPs.