UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2018, 11:51 pm   #1
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Advance 63 Sig. Gen. tuning mechanics: friction?

When the tuning knob is rotated, there is a lot of frictional resistance against that movement. The drive mechanics appear to be a pair of slipping clutches - as found in Eddystone valved communications radios. I have lubricated as many bearing surfaces that I can see and am wondering if that degree of resistance to motion is to be expected with the mechanical design chosen. I will be surprised if it is to that extent, but I just don't know. Hopefully, someone here has had the necessary experience with this Advance sig. gen. to educate me accordingly.

Anyone, please?

Al.
Old 6th Feb 2018, 10:42 pm   #2
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Advance 63 Sig. Gen. tuning mechanics: friction?

No replies. Somewhat reluctantly, I've come to the conclusion that the degree of 'stiffness' I experience is simply 'the way it is supposed to be'. I base that on the fact that the mechanism uses two slipping clutch type of reduction gear and that I have lubricated all bearings and similar moving surfaces - with no improvement.

If anyone knows otherwise, please tell me!

Al.
Old 7th Feb 2018, 7:47 pm   #3
linescan87
Heptode

Default Re: Advance 63 Sig. Gen. tuning mechanics: friction?

I have one of these. I would not describe it as stiff but it certainly doesn't run free.

Sorry I can't help more.

John Joe.
Old 7th Feb 2018, 11:52 pm   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thanks John. Yes, in retrospect, I think I'm being unfairly judgemental over this and that's probably because of lots of other equipment I own or have used over the years that has / had a much freer rotating action. I'm renovating this S.G.: just wanted some re-assurance that I wasn't missing something.

Al.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 12:40 pm   #5
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

Hi Al,
I have used one of these generators and yes the tuning control mechanism is firm and smooth but not stiff or tight. There should be no mechanism backlash when setting frequency.

The one I have is a 63A and is still on the to do list since finding most of the carbon resistors are out of spec and has a number of suspicious Hunts capacitors located within.

Frequency stability and dial accuracy is good and this one has been much used as a marker generator in TV IF sweep alignment. Happy days!

Rich
Old 10th Feb 2018, 2:50 pm   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thank you, Rich. Yes, 'firm and smooth' is a better description of mine - and there is no backlash nor hysteresis. Over the years, I've used many Advance products and have been impressed by the careful balance they have achieved between simplicity and functionality. I suspect that my long experience with Eddystone radios is also colouring my judgement.

Al.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 5:16 pm   #7
Skywave
Rest in Peace

I've concluded that there is not a fault with the tuning mechanism: the way it is is the way it's meant to be. However, this S.G. did require some renovation, etc. That has now been completed and shortly I hope to reveal all in another thread.

Al.
Closed Thread