UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2018, 2:42 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default The dreaded green spot on Midwest speaker

Having restored one of these , I could not resist it when a chassis came up on EBay fast forward a few month I decided to check the speaker to find that the energising coil was o/c , Ed kindly rewound it for me some ten thousand turns, but it came out a bit lower resistance than quoted in the circuit.

This is no ordinary speaker it has two coils the second one it tapped, after re assembling the speaker a thought came to me supposing the coils were connected wrong causing the magnetic field to cancel, how did I find the correct way, well I plugged the speaker into the chassis, switched on and was greeted with fantastic sound loads of volume.

I needed to prove my theory so fixed up a changeover switch as to reverse the two connections to the coil, the results were immediately much lower volume.

Next job is to restore the second chassis, pic of previously restored chassis. Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0026.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	160126  
Old 4th Apr 2018, 9:47 am   #2
jmedley
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: The dreaded green spot on Midwest speaker

This looks a very interesting piece of kit, could you post more information re make and model, with more pictures of chassis
Thanks
Jim
Old 4th Apr 2018, 10:06 am   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: The dreaded green spot on Midwest speaker

Hi Jim can I refer you to a previous post:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=134775

As the first chassis had some rust I decided to strip it totally this took a while and loads of diagrams, but it was worth it, the second chassis I have is not too bad so I have just restored it electrically. I am looking for a suitable cabinet, or when I have time I intend to make one. If you want to see some Gorgeous radios Google Midwest Radio Museum.

Mick.

Last edited by vinrads; 4th Apr 2018 at 10:12 am.
Old 6th Apr 2018, 8:47 am   #4
jmedley
Rest in Peace

Default Re: The dreaded green spot on Midwest speaker

Thanks Mick
Closed Thread