UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2020, 8:15 am   #1
Keith956
Heptode

Default Marks on 465B graticule

My trusty old Tek 465B has one of the fine metal mesh plates, and ever since I've had it it has a mark which will not come off with water or IPA. I suspect it's corrosion. I have an ultrasonic bath and metal cleaning fluid but I've been loath to try cleaning it that way in case it damages the mesh - as I'm not sure what the mesh metal is. Is this likely to be safe - what sort of metal is it made from?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2774.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	202530  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 5:50 pm   #2
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Marks on 465B graticule

It may be lack of knowledge on my part but I would have thought that the outer surface of the CRT is plain old glass and that the graticule is printed on the inside surface. I do know that the 465B CRT has a metal (platinum?) mesh screen through which the electron beam passes but that is inside the evacuated glass enclosure. I suppose the screen might have some kind of non-reflective coating although I don't remember seeing a reference to such a coating in any of the literature.

Alan
Old 9th Apr 2020, 6:08 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

It's a woven-mesh sheet in a frame that lies against the face of the CRT. Iknow the HP ones not the Tek ones, but it's removable once the bezel is removed.

They act to improve contrast , and at least on the HP ones there is a little grounding lug so that it works as an electrostatic shield for EMC emissions via the CRT face.

I think the wire the screen is woven from is brass with a chemical blackening process having been applied.

David
Old 9th Apr 2020, 6:20 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Is the mesh on the +outside+ of the graticule-plate, embedded in it, or on the inside?

If it's embedded or on the inside, you might be able to polish-out the damage using one of the kits available from places like Halfords for removing surface-discoloration from plastic headlamp-shields.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 6:51 pm   #5
Keith956
Heptode

David, the metal mesh could well be brass that's been plated. There was a sort of greenish residue on the mark which suggests copper in there.

It's only a minor irritation - maybe I'll try a bit of brasso and see if that works.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 7:09 pm   #6
ajgriff
Nonode

Is the mesh removable? If so, would it be possible to post a photo? My standard 465B doesn't have this feature and just has the bezel with its blue acrylic sheet to provide implosion protection. There doesn't seem to be any mention of the mesh in the parts list. I'm intrigued.

Alan
Old 9th Apr 2020, 8:04 pm   #7
Keith956
Heptode

Alan, attached some photos. The first is with the cover removed showing the tube with its own (internal?) graticule.

The second is the mesh graticule on the left which sits between the earthing plate (centre) and the cover (right).

And the last the mesh (cleaned a bit!) as it fits into the cover.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2782.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	202570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2783.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	202571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2784.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	202572  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 9:12 pm   #8
ajgriff
Nonode

Thanks for going to the trouble of taking the photos Keith. It's as if the mesh is an alternative to the normal blue screen protector. Not something I've come across in relation to the 465B before.

Alan
Old 9th Apr 2020, 10:46 pm   #9
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I think i first came upon these external metal shields on a Cossor 4100 'scope.
I have previously smashed up colour TV tubes (after first releasing the vacuum by carefully tapping the seal under the"valve base").
I have used a cut up piece of a delta tube's mesh on a small scope. It worked, but there may well be better sources of screening mesh.
Les.
Old 10th Apr 2020, 10:25 am   #10
John_BS
Octode

The Tek 453 was often fitted with a mesh screen: they're so fine it's not obvious at first glance. Ditto (David) I think they're either brass or copper with a black finish. Ditto some marks don't come off! I find this type of contrast-enhancer the most effective in general.

John
Closed Thread