UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2006, 4:48 pm   #1
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default The NVCF.......

Nice to put a lot of faces to the names today!

Thanks to everyone that collected their items as arranged!

As for purchases, well, other than a couple of drinks and a sandwich, I came away with nothing!

I saw a few TV22s that I like the look of, but one at £260, one at £165, and one at my sort of condition with holes in the case for a magnifier at a staggering £135.00!

Whilst I dont mind paying a fair price for a decent set, I collect rough stuff and make it look better, so I do think the prices asked were a little optimistic!

Generally I do think that prices seemed a lot higher than previous events I attended at the NEC.

I am a little unsure as to the venue. Of course, the costing and profitability is paramount for the event's future, so I do appreciate the need for a cheaper alternative.

However, The Warwickshire Exhibition Centre? Are they having a laugh?, I am sure the owners are justly proud of such a grandiose title for a selection of ex agricultural stores!

Surely this is meant to be the premier event for collecters in the UK, and requires a venue that is not located on a B class road with a builders rubble roadway and grass parking?

I wholly support not producing the event guide as a means of entry ticket, but an elastic band? A better proposition is a simple inkstamp - it is cheaper, and does not cut the blood supply off from you hand when your wrist is larger than a child's!

Catering was ok, but to allow smoking around the corner, and to be seeing food preperation staff nipping out there for a quick one is not great. i wonder what the arrangement was for the less able bodied amongst us?

Stall layout was cramped excessively - I understand the need to maximise selling space to offset the cost of hall hire, but this makes viewing items crammed under tables a real problem - there is no room to crouch down with out fear of blocking the gangways.

Sellers ought to be instructed to not encrouch on the gangways - if they have that much stuff to need to overspill then they ought to have purchased more table space.

The television display was very interesting, but could have benefitted with some more room, as the display of standards converters various was very cramped. Provision also needs to be made for hot air to escape!

On the whole I enjoyed the event, and the organisers need to be congratulated on a stirling effort - my comments above are meant in a constructive fashion, and come from my own experience of organising similar events.

So, Hats off to all, and I hope that there is a future for the event!

Cheers
Sean
Old 7th May 2006, 5:27 pm   #2
harvestgold
Hexode

Default Re: The NVCF.......

Following on from the above comments. I went this morning for the 10.30 opening time and stayed for about 3 hours. I must say, I thought the event had a much nicer feel than at the NMM - not quite up to NEC standards, but I appreciate why the move was made away from there! The parking was excellent - plenty of it and well marshalled. The venue was in "the back of beyond", but the directions from the WEC website were spot-on and it was a very pleasant drive through the countryside, and hardly took any longer than the NEC from my place (Bromsgrove) especially when the ease of parking and subsequent walking into the hall was taken into account.
The payment and "ticket" issuing was very efficient - better than most autojumbles I have been to.

Space was at a premium, but this is understandable in order for the organisers to hopefully at least break even this time. The layout was sensible, and overall, I felt, a good compromise. The TV display was very interesting and thoroughly enjoyed - not only just viewing the wonderful sets, but chatting with very interesting people!

I didn't get to try the food facilities this time ( I have had to work this afternoon - boo!) but the toilets were clean and modern (always important).

I thought there was a better variety of items for sale this time (compared to last October's event), and there were plenty of bargains to be had. There must have been even more gems prior to the 10.30 "Common People's Opening Time"! I saw a lot of things I had to stop myself from buying. . .

I came away with a B&O BEOCORD 5000 Cassette deck and a Philips CD200 CD player, plus an early '80s Toshiba Walkman (for a friend). But as I say, I could easily have bought more if it wasn't for a serious "lack of space problem" back at home.

I would like to voice my thanks for all the hard-working organisers and people behind the scenes, whose work often goes unappreciated. Also having had two NVCF stalls last year, I realise that it is not an easy job preparing and holding a stall for the day, so the variety of things on offer today was heartening.

Here's to the next one, where hopefully I may be able to book another stall for myself.

Neil.
Old 7th May 2006, 6:38 pm   #3
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Well, I liked the venue, and although the parking was on grass, at least it was only a couple of minutes walk from the hall!

I would have liked to be able to get a coffee whilst I wasited for the 10:30 opening, but I can always take a flask in future.

My main gripe was with catering - they were out of sandwiches by 1 o'clock, and I didn't want a full meal. I suspect that the venue was caught out by the number of visitors.

I though the general atmosphere was very good, and relaxed, with good access to the stalls, though stall holders must be told not to place items out infront of the table, disabled people were struggling (again).

My thanks to the organisers, and glad to see so many forum members attending, if I didn't speak to you, or didn't recognise you, I apologise.

Jim.
Old 7th May 2006, 6:44 pm   #4
jay_oldstuff
Octode

well that was my first NVCF and as a whole i am mighty impressed, dispite the venue being somewhat in the back and beyonds it was easy to find even by me and i have no sence of direction, the signs where good too.
parking was excelient plenty of space and good marshalls

the building was a little rustic on the outside but we wernt there to look at the asthetics of the building.
i must agree it was a little cramped inside and the tv display although very enjoyable was rather warm i would of licked to stay a little longer in there and have a chat with a fiew people but the heat was a little to much for me

there was a good selection of items on sale and a wide veriaty of prices from the very cheep to the rediciosely overpriced

all in all i thurally injoyed it and would defenetly go again

Jay
Old 7th May 2006, 7:09 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Hello,

Good to see many forum members at the NVCF today I found it quite easy to find the venue, but it's still over 100 miles each way for me though. There were some fabulous 1930s round Ekco radios for sale, but a bit too expensive for me. Also I noticed many early US built transistor radios and small 1950s US valve sets there which were rather nice. Loads of telephones (gosh aren't they expensive). The television exhibition was interesting too, I loved the two mechanical sets !!

I did very well today, I bought another USSR radio, a VEF 206 that no-one else wanted for next to nothing, potentially mint (next one for success stories I think), a mint Roberts R707 for £25, an Ultra Transistor 101 (I have two now from which to build a nice one), a Bush TR230 from oldjohn (I have two of these too now to build a nice one) and a restorable Bush TR130 with Caroline on the tuning scale.

That lot should keep me quiet for a while

Howard
Old 7th May 2006, 7:18 pm   #6
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Todays NVCF event

Hello there,
I had a good day at the NVCF today. I thought that this venue was very good. The car parK coulden't have been much closer to the hall. There was good food and a very interesting 405 line TV demonstration. I have no room left here so I only bought another THREE tellies. One being a Pam console, a sony VHF/UHF set and a Marconiphone set. I also picked up one of Malcom Everiss domino convertor which I will play with over the next few weeks. I met quite a few people on this forum there today
Many thanks to the NVCF team, Can't wait for the next one

Christopher Capener
Old 7th May 2006, 7:51 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_beacon
My main gripe was with catering - they were out of sandwiches by 1 o'clock, and I didn't want a full meal. I suspect that the venue was caught out by the number of visitors.
Well I asked for a sandwich at around 3pm and they happily made me one. I guess right on lunch time that might not have been viable though.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th May 2006, 8:07 pm   #8
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Hi All, Thoroughly enjoyable day.A few less valve sellers than i'd have liked and no Sid Chaplin? Personally i didnt find the gangways particularly congested but that's just my opinion.A lot of congestion problems are caused by people holding conversations in the wrong place.Thank god there was an efficient paging system.I don't know if it was just my phone but i was'nt receiving inside the building.Was the structure all metal and blocking incoming signals.This also happened at the last venue.This can be somewhat frustrating as many many people rely totally on their mobiles to meet others to swap sell and trade etc.Fortunately the paging system came to the rescue.I had no problems phoning people inside the building,just people outside who were meeting me there to collect goods.Not a complaint,just constructive critiscism.I had a smashing day,bought five radios,all at very bargain prices,plus a scope for £45.00.I also found a few handy valves and a volume knob for my McMichael 137 and a scale glass for my Bush PB63.I met lots of very friendly people including Mikeymush and Josh and Mark Ramsey who had a display in the TV room. Excellent day,can't wait until the next one.Many thanks to all the organisers for their hard work and for making such a worthwhile event. Regards to all, Colin <ekcobeach>
Old 7th May 2006, 8:10 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I agree that the place is not as grand as the title would suggest. However is is reasonably easy to get to and for me from Hereford it took no longer than the NEC (especially when considering the NEC car park fiasco).

Car parking is very close. It could get rather muddy if it rains a lot though, so we have to hope for good weather! I had an organiser's pass which would have let me park at the side of the hall, but I didn't bother to use it as I arrived early enough to park close to the entrance in the main car park.

Remember that this venue is less than a quarter of the price of the NEC and NMM. By comparison it's a lot better value, and I think it's completely adequate for the NVCF. We already know the event made a profit, before the final figures are calculated - which is probably the first time in recent years!

The food was reasonable and the portions were ample. Tea and coffee was 80p for a good sized cup, and it was made with real milk so it tasted good.

I didn't spend any money, other than renewing my Airwaves subscription, but I wasn't planning to buy anything so didn't take thata much notice of prices etc. There seemed to be a good range of items available (and also less of the modern hi-fi stuff).

The TV display area did get rather warm. I guess nobody considered the hear given off by about 30 valve TVs (if 200W each that's 6kW).

As for the elastic band, you only needed it if you went outside the building and wanted to get back in again, so you could have put it in your pocket for the rest of the time if it was uncomfortable. I don't see the point of them, and think a handstamp just for those needing a pass-out would have been adequate.

The next BVWS committee meeting (conference call) is on Thursday, and I will report the comments (good ad bad) from here, so keep them coming!

Paul Stenning
Old 7th May 2006, 8:34 pm   #10
Dickie
Octode

Yes, a big "hats off" to all for organising this year's event. A bit crowded maybe, but nowhere near as bad as last year. With the (very) high ceiling and concrete floor it's got the same "ambience" as the NEC. The catering might have been a bit limited, but for the average coffee drinkers and sandwich eaters amongst us the prices were OK and there was somewhere to sit!!
Having been to every NVCF since they started, (I can't remember when) and watched them wax and wane at the NEC, this venue looks good for the future.

And I quite enjoyed the leisurely drive along the 'B' roads to get there!

Richard
Old 7th May 2006, 8:56 pm   #11
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Just thought I'd add...

Exellent event. Easy to find, fast and efficient entry and opened on time. Not a glam site perhaps, but very satisfactory for the event, if only just big enough at peak visitor capacity. (I was very glad to see one stall-holder whom I thought had died!)

The TV displays were excellent! Must have taken ages to set up. Many thanks to those who loaned their sets. But I hope everyone who would have liked to see them knew they were there as they were a bit tucked away.

Thanks to all those who spent weeks (of their own time) organizing the whole event.

Ian
Old 7th May 2006, 9:13 pm   #12
JoshWard
Octode

I had a fantastic time, is that partly due to a McMichael suitcase set arriving in the collection? The venue was fine but was a little cramped. I feel there was a lack of components but a good selection of radio sets. I also enjoyed the television display. Pity there were no chairs so I could watch Steptoe and Son! Josh.
Old 7th May 2006, 9:13 pm   #13
Photo_Tube
Retired Dormant Member

We arrived just before 11am and walked straight in - I dont think it was too cramped, the NMM was a lot worse for that. Just spent a minimum today, the prices are typical NVCF- reasonable or over priced, but the choice was better than the last one.

Really enjoyed the TV display and always wanted to see pre-war sets in action. Was the BVWS bargin stall there - I dont recall seeing it ?

Would really like to see the event in the same location next year, its easy to get to, free parking and has a nice rural feel to it.
Old 7th May 2006, 9:37 pm   #14
slidertogrid
Octode

Just thought id add my bit I had a fantastic day , I really enjoyed the vintage TV display the mechanical sets in particular! the workmanship is amazing!
I had no problem with the event location, the food was great, much more than I could eat! I got quite a few bargains, including a RAP (my third) I tried not to buy it..... I went back three times, Honest!!
A big thank you to all the organisers!
Old 7th May 2006, 9:39 pm   #15
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo_Tube
Was the BVWS bargin stall there - I dont recall seeing it ?
No it wasn't. With Mike now one of the core team organising the NVCF, he wouldn't have had time to organise the stuff for a bargain stall too (and the BVWS store is in Swindon, near Mike's home).

Paul Stenning
Old 7th May 2006, 9:59 pm   #16
Richard
Heptode

Hi Everyone

Well done and thank you to all those people who put in there time to organize today.

I thought the location was fine, easy access from main roads, no queues just to park, parking near the hall, food was nothing special, but plenty of it and reasonably priced, hall a bit cramped in the first hour, but not a problem - what more could we want??

I delivered all the stuff I had sold, and the wife spent the money and some more on a HMV 104 gramophone player, and has spent the last 1 1/2 hrs since we got home playing records on it, all I got was 2, 2 pin bulgin plugs for my Leak TL50+s speaker connections.

Richard.
Old 7th May 2006, 10:17 pm   #17
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

I have sold at most NVCF since the start. I was pleasantly surprised by todays event. It was well organised and the venue was adequate for our needs. I sold everything on my stall - first time I have ever donr that! My prices were at the stupidly low end of the market I would add, don't see the point in overpricing things.

I would add (for constructive reasons):

1) I like the mix of radio / television / HiFi / computer / telecoms. I think it sits nicely together and brings in a healthy mix of stallholders and public. I think drifting the event in the direction of "pure BVWS radio / television" would be a mistake. I accept that I may be wrong and would accept and understand if the comittee took it in that direction.

2) I think the marketing needs to be broader and more modern. Examples would include being fully bookable via the internet paying by credit card. While it is no real hassle to print a form and put a cheque in the post it all seems a little 20th century. There is a big national and international market out there - I sold more to the bargain hunting Italian buyers than anyone else. Ebay could provide a potential advertising area. See the following link for tickets to the UK pinball shaow:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UK-PINBALL-SHO...QQcmdZViewItem

3) I think personally there is a choice to be made. Either make it big and broad and push it hard, or keep it small and accept that it becomes a Harpenden like event and increasingly pure radio.

For the sake of sanity of the comittee and organisers I guess the latter will prevail and I would add weight to the above comments that this venue in many ways is as good as we are likely to get for a small radio show.

I would finish by adding my sincere thanks to the organisers for a job well done today.

Kneale
Old 7th May 2006, 10:19 pm   #18
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I'd like to thank the organisers for making the event possible and for inviting me. I had a most excellent (and tiring) day; I lost count of how many times I explained how my PC system worked and can't remember everyone I met. I amazingly avoided buying anything, a good thing as the poor hired Corsa was full enough on the return trip with the gear I'd arranged to collect. I'm absolutely shattered now; I'll post more comments tomorrow after I've had some sleep. Fantastic, my first NVCF and as an exhibitor as well.

Regards, Kat
Old 7th May 2006, 10:32 pm   #19
audiomagpie
Heptode

I thought it was a good venue. I didn't visit the MM last year, but compared to the NEC the parking was very near to the hall (and free). I took my 9 year old son thinking he would be bored but he really liked the TV display, as did I. As we past the various stands, he kept saying "Look Dad, another radio like yours!"
Thought the cafe was ok and prices reasonable. Bought an almost mint Grundig Yatchboy, all 3 'Tickling the Crystal' books from the BVWS stand and one of those minature am/fm repros (Ekco SH25) for the lad for being good.

Well done to all those involved, a most enjoyable event!

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 7th May 2006, 10:43 pm   #20
Danny
Heptode

Hi all I arived at 6oclock sat evening and the hotel i planned to stay at had sold out i then waisted a few hrs tring to find another but failed in my quest so slept in my van then arived at the hall to early and had to wait for the visitors gates to open. once in the event i spotted an ecko tv that i am missing from my collection asked the price £275 it was in prestine condition and like a fool i walked away i got to the end of the row then ran back but you guessed it i had missed it well things happen in three dont thay . i then couldnt find anything to take home for my trouble
this will make her in doors moan wasted deasel . I must say i didnt like the
hall at first but once inside it was full and almost had the feeling of the nec. the food was good . The tv show was good and interesting if only thay were for sale . i thought the layout was good i didnt think it was too cramped. i do think that in futer events it would be nice to see more displays as this adds to the event maybe hifi items on show for us to try?
or grams ect to keep it varied and interesting. Oh and i did get a new mixer for my old disco so i didnt get wrong for wasting valuable resorces
thanks for the fun had a good day realy .
Danny
Closed Thread