UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2007, 7:28 pm   #1
ajs37
Heptode

Default Hanneys in Bath is closing

Not sure if this is the right place to post (please move if not!)

Some of you may know about LF Hanneys, Lower Bristol Road, in Bath - it's been there over 50 years (saw an advert for it in PW dated 1951) - I use it for odd components and valves - it's always got something interesting in there - well today, as I was driving past, it had a big sign in the window "Closing Down - 50% off everything"

I'll be very sorry to see it go - I don't know of another shop like it in this part of the world - that's progress I suppose!

I haven't had a chance to go in (and I won't until next week) to ask precisely when it's closing - in the meantime, it may well be worth a visit, if you are in the area
Cheers
Andy
Old 21st Aug 2007, 9:52 pm   #2
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Hanneys in Bath is closing

Cheers Andy, I will take a trip over to Bath possibly after the bank holiday. Hopefully it will still be open then.
Old 21st Aug 2007, 9:57 pm   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Ah Hanneys!

I used to be a frequent visitor there when I was a student at Bath University. I've had a lot of bargains from them, including some Mullard ASZ20s (I think that was the type, which looked like and replaced AF117s, but didn't seem to fail in the same way; a Philips K70 Swedish made hybrid colour TV and a (new) Thorn TA01 synchro-amp (to go with my Ferguson 3230 tape recorder). Hanneys, at least in their later days, was owned by the same people that ran Ryland Huntley (the up-market Tandberg & B&O dealer in Bath).

I'm surprised they lasted this long!

Sadly missed.

Dazzlevision
Old 21st Aug 2007, 10:56 pm   #4
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

I was only thinking the other day that it was a bit surprising that they had survived for so long. I reckon I must have used them for over 30 years. Will have to go down and see if they have any bargains. I only ever saw the shop bit, but goodness knows what was squirrelled away upstairs! Sad day really as those sort of shops have nearly all gone and it's getting difficult to get small quantities of components especially if you just want one resistor or whatever for your latest project. Perhaps the Internet, lack of home construction and sky high business rates have hastened it's demise? I always found parking there to be a bit of a nightmare though. Sad day.

Ian.
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 8:13 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

When I went to school there, some of our classrooms were at Brougham Hayes and Stuart Place, and I used to walk there from the city centre, and look longingly at the Mullard 3-3 kits in Hanney's window (and the occasional trip to Tommy Best's in Lower Bristol Road, later Avon Street)
A piece of history gone.
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 9:23 am   #6
newlite4
Octode

Whenever I go past Hanneys, I wonder what is in the upstairs rooms and out the back. It must be crammed with stuff accummulated over the past sixty years, I will try to pop in next week. The other electronics shop in Bath closed about 25 years ago. This was J.Kiss components on the Upper Bristol Road, run by a Hungarian with a sharp bite . Nearly everything in the shop was ex-gov surplus. I looked out to the back one day to see the proprietors daughter removing transformers from a chassis with a club hammer before putting them in the sales racks . Those were the days .
Neil
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 2:15 pm   #7
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

I went down to Hanneys this morning. They will be closing in four to five weeks. Reason given: they are both beyond retiring age so it's time to go.

Still a lot of stuff in the shop, some of it up to 50% off. They have a lot of valves there, NOS in original cartons. There was a box of (mainly) TV valves, all in cartons for (I think) £5.00.

They have others not listed and even more on a list 11 pages long. They told me that they are all new and boxed.

I might be able to scan the list if anyone is interested.

Some of the prices seem to be about par with what you might pay from usual sources of valves. Some I don't recognise at all eg CH1150 for £135.00 + VAT! what is that? Others on the list include PM1HL and PM1LF, PM22A, PM2 and hundreds more.

Ian.
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 4:03 pm   #8
yestertech
Nonode

Any chance anyone could take a snap of this erstwhile establishment before it's bulldozed away ?? Andy
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 6:54 pm   #9
Dynamo
Triode

I used to go in there when I was a spotty lad, some 40 years ago, so to be honest I'm amazed to hear that it's still open at all. Then annoying thing is that I've just today got back from near Bath, where I went to on Monday, and I nearly took a walk out to see if it was still there.
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 9:43 pm   #10
Tim
Dekatron

Oh No! That's a real shame.
I'll have to get over there with a wad of cash!!
50% off everything?
Good, the prices might be reasonable now!
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 10:55 pm   #11
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Oh No! That's a real shame.
I'll have to get over there with a wad of cash!!
50% off everything? !
It's up to 50% on most items Tim..even then the prices still seem a bit steep for some things! They told me today that people were going in there and expecting everything to be 50% off. That's not how it is.

Ian
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 9:13 am   #12
newlite4
Octode

I will probably go in on Saturday to get some contact cleaner before they close. I will take a picture of the outside while I am there. I was not a regular at Hanneys, they could be rather expensive, but handy for emergency supplies.
Neil
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 3:01 pm   #13
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

I popped in there for a look and saw the telly valves for a fiver. There's a box of valves at £1 each, which are worth looking through.

There's a rack at the back with useful odds and ends, such as 4 way tag strips.

There are some items of test gear, marked down but still a bit pricey for what it is IMHO.

I went there for the first time about six years ago, and came away with the impression that his prices were on the high side and it wasn't easy to know what he'd got unless you asked, so I wasn't a regular either.

I'd say, it's worth a look if you don't have to travel too far to get there. You might come away with a nice clutch of hard to find bits, if you forage around and ask.

There's a supermarket with a car park nearby. It might be an idea to nip into the supermarket to pick up a few items and use the rest of the couple of hours they let you park there to check out the electronics shop, otherwise parking is difficult round there.

It's a bit sad that it's one of the last electronics/junk shops and is closing, but OTOH, I share the view that it's surprising it's kept going this long.

Pete.
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 10:02 pm   #14
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I will try and get a picture or two when I visit Bath,possibly next week some time.
Old 24th Aug 2007, 7:30 am   #15
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC View Post
There's a supermarket with a car park nearby. It might be an idea to nip into the supermarket to pick up a few items and use the rest of the couple of hours they let you park there to check out the electronics shop, otherwise parking is difficult round there.
Pete.
I might be in Bath in a couple of weeks time, if its still open I would like to call in, can someone post the supermarkets name, it'll give me something to aim for not knowing the area.

Thanks

John
Old 24th Aug 2007, 7:46 am   #16
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Is it the Sainsbury's one that used to be (the much lamented) Green Park station?
Old 24th Aug 2007, 8:32 am   #17
Dynamo
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Is it the Sainsbury's one that used to be (the much lamented) Green Park station?
That's the one.
Old 24th Aug 2007, 8:45 am   #18
John M0GLN
Octode

Sainsbury's i'll be heading for.

Thanks

John.
Old 24th Aug 2007, 9:34 am   #19
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

I usually park in the adjacent DIY store (Homebase?) car park as it's a bit closer. Hanneys do have two dedicated parking spaces round the back of the shop but it's usually very congested round there so I don't bother.

Incidentally, I do have a scan of the valve list now, 11 pages in all, so if anyone wants a copy drop me a PM with their e-mail address and I will send it off.

Ian.
Old 24th Aug 2007, 5:14 pm   #20
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

I went down to Hanneys today to pick up an order and was pleased to find that all the valves on their valve list were 50% off +VAT.

I took some pictures:

One outside and a couple inside. The valves in the box are from a radio amateur who is silent key and are £1.00 each on a pays your money and takes your choice basis, proceeds to charity. The black things on the floor under the retail packaged cables are mainly transformers!

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-018F.JPG
Views:	506
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	11781   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-019F.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	11782   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-020F.JPG