UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2008, 6:12 pm   #41
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Skip finds

The scrap cable cages in some of our telephone exchange yards are "self emptying"
Old 1st Jul 2008, 7:55 pm   #42
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hmm, we have a similar problem with our waste disposal - anything metallic seems to erm, wander.......

HV cable is a real pain to strip!
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 6:39 pm   #43
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

Blimey, where do I even start? I've had huge amounts of stuff from skips.

Let's see - just off the top of my head:

* Tek 545B (still have)
* Tek 547 (still have)
* Tek 575 (sold)
* Solartron can'trememberthemodelnumber oscilloscope (the smaller of the non-rack-mounted duck-egg blue valve ones)
* Three EMI Mark 6 valve stroboscopes
* Farnell 30V 2A lab PSU (and then I found the operating/service manual for it in the same skip the next week - result!)
* BBC B (faulty), plus at least two disk drives for them
* Telequipment D43 x 2
* Box of panel meters
* Weird particle counter thing (about the size of a Tek 545 with a similarly-sized tube to one, plus a 6-nixie display - is probably going to come to bits for parts as I have no idea what it does, a lab equipment dealer I rang up about it wasn't interested and told me to "try ebay")
* Marconi digital frequency counter with 8 or so digit nixie display (can't believe how heavy this is for its size, it must have bricks in it or something. Due to its position under some other gear in the skip, it was a right struggle to get out)
* Solartron "Digital TFA" with lots of nixies in it - again probably a scrap candidate
* 6 or 7 of the old black Weston analogue meters, various voltage/current ratings

and there's more, lots more...
Old 4th Jul 2008, 11:32 am   #44
discoman
Retired Dormant Member

i love skips my brother drives for a skip company and as such i am allways suprised what he turns up with so far a nad amp and tuner has gone to a member here working and in nice nick, a 1941 army feild phone again gone to a nice guy on this great forum,i have selfishely kept a yamaha surround sound amp ,some mission and kef speakers all perfect .and numourous other bits of hi fi ,oh i needed a moniter for my computer and guess what he turned up with a 26 inch lcd tv come moniter after a clean and a quick check to see if it was damp or not it came to life and its looks great,so i dare say other stuff will wind its way to the members on here over the years,on an other note you people here are every thing i would some day like to be electronic wise regarding repairs etc but i am slowely getting there such a nice treat in these times to find good people look forward to talking and meeting some of you in years to come
Old 4th Jul 2008, 5:12 pm   #45
ianj
Heptode

Yes, My Uncle is on the skips and always brings things home-brand new unused tools, radio sets( which I claim!) and all sorts of good stuff..........ianj
Old 4th Jul 2008, 10:04 pm   #46
Steve_P
Dekatron

That I can agree with. A skip hire man Weaverham, Cheshire, showed me his office while I was there sorting out his radio system. Everything in it came from skips. Phone, TV, desks, chairs, carpet, rug... the lot.

He said farewell with the following phrase:

'It's amazing what people throw away!'

Cheers,

Steve P.