UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 28th Nov 2023, 4:12 pm   #1
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Decca TP99 Battery

A while ago, I was given a Decca TP99. Someone has been working on it in the past because I noticed that when I dismantled it, the loudspeaker was on the wrong side of the wooden front panel and all the screws and spacers were doing was holding the plastic front panel on.

Now, I have fitted it on the correct side I notice the PP9 battery doesn't really fit properly. It does seem to be the original speaker judging by comparisons I have made with the images on Radio Museum.

Any ideas? Did they make PP9s in different sizes? The data sheet specifies PP9 by the way and not PP7.

The first picture shows my ill fitting PP9 and the second picture is from Radio Museum.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deccatp99.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	288914   Click image for larger version

Name:	radiomuseum.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	288915  
Old 28th Nov 2023, 4:30 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Decca TP99 Battery

I am surprised at this, while PP types of battery may have varied a few mm between manufacturers, it would have been perverse in the extreme for a manufacturer to produce something really way off the standard sizes.

Alas I am not within range of my scanned copy of the Ever Ready specs for the PP series of batteries, or I could tell you the official dimensions.
Old 28th Nov 2023, 4:33 pm   #3
wireless_john
Heptode

I did Google battery sizes, and the Ever Ready one I've got seems a bit smaller than the 'official' dimensions. I've also tried slackening the screws holding the speaker then pushing it up whilst I tighten them up thus allowing the maximum clearance for the battery beneath it.

John

Last edited by wireless_john; 28th Nov 2023 at 4:39 pm.
wireless_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2023, 7:47 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi John, I think the speaker needs turning 90%, so the wide opening on the speaker frame accommodates the battery.

I would say the new PP9 batteries are slightly larger than of years ago, I seem to remember a plastic cased radio that would not take a modern battery maybe 2mm out.

John.
Old 28th Nov 2023, 7:56 pm   #5
wireless_john
Heptode

Thank you John. That had occurred to me but I noticed that it wasn't that way on the Radio Museum photograph.

Also the yellow wire on the speaker terminal looks like it's original and is connected under the screw on the left that holds the chassis in. If the speaker is rotated 90 degrees, it won't reach!

John
Old 28th Nov 2023, 8:02 pm   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi John, yes, I have just had a look at the service sheet, it's the same. Is there anything to be gained by having the speaker wires at the bottom? but then there would be the danger of shorting the speaker, not a problem with the cardboard sleeved batteries of years ago.

John.

PS, The RM picture shows the battery at a slight angle, to get it "Tucked into the end of the case"

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 28th Nov 2023 at 8:06 pm. Reason: Added last line.
60 oldjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2023, 8:11 pm   #7
wireless_john
Heptode

Yes, it is at an angle. That's what made me think that the batteries might be a bit bigger than they were in the 60's.

I never throw old ones away, just remove the innards and then modify the shells so that I can use AA or PP3 instead.

I'll have to look in my garage to see if I've got any from a different manufacturer that might be smaller.

John
Old 28th Nov 2023, 8:25 pm   #8
wireless_john
Heptode

No, all mine are Ever Ready Silver. I think they all came from Wilkos and I only stopped buying them when I had enough to stuff the shells with a battery holder and AA batteries from Poundland!

The one I'm trying to fit measures 76mm high, 64mm wide and 52mm deep.

The one in the Radio Museum photo is a different manufacturer and appears to be less deep than 52mm. I think its a Ray O Vac battery and they don't seem to make them anymore.

John

Last edited by wireless_john; 28th Nov 2023 at 8:40 pm. Reason: Last line added.
wireless_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2023, 9:08 pm   #9
Philips210
Nonode

I just had a look at my TP99 and checked to see if a plastic cased Panasonic PP9 will fit. It doesn't. This battery measures 76.5 x 65.2 x 50.3mm.

I found that if I put the battery at a slight angle so that it is against the side panel of the cabinet then the back will close but is under slight stress which is not right. With the battery in this position it is effectively in front of the side batten that the back panel rests on but the speaker fouls the front of the battery. I'm fairly sure the battery has to be fitted so that it is against the side panel otherwise the back cover steadying batten will foul the battery.

On my radio I noticed the battery steadying batten has been badly damaged possibly by a previous owner so that a non standard size PP9 could be fitted.

An original battery, even a dead one. as recommended by Decca for the TP99 would be useful to have to prove the point. John's loudspeaker looks to be correct. My speaker had suffered some rusting of the frame in the vicinity of the battery due to a leaky battery some time in the distant past. My radio is otherwise in a remarkably pristine condition which looks to have had little use.

Regarding Eveready, wasn't the well known maker actually Ever Ready? The reason I mention this is the dimensions for the two different makes are probably different. OT but I've also come across quite a few PP3s that have differing dimensions.

Regards,
Symon
Philips210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2023, 9:27 pm   #10
wireless_john
Heptode

Thank you Symon. I have come to the conclusion that modern PP9s are indeed larger than the originals in the 1960's.

Whoever had been working on the radio in the past had mounted the loudspeaker on the other side of the hole in the wooden part of the front panel. Then just put the speaker screws back in to hold the plastic front on.

I suspect this was done so that the speaker is a few mm further forward to make room for the battery but I don't really want to do that!

Going to have to think about this!

John
Old 28th Nov 2023, 9:27 pm   #11
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips210 View Post
I just had a look at my TP99 and checked to see if a plastic cased Panasonic PP9 will fit. It doesn't. This battery measures 76.5 x 65.2 x 50.3mm...
An original battery, even a dead one. as recommended by Decca for the TP99 would be useful to have to prove the point.
At which I retrieved the nearest card-cased Ever Ready PP9 Power Pack from a shelf, and it measures 79x63x46 mm.

This isn't the only model to be reluctant to accommodate new production PP9s, I met the problem long ago with Hacker Democrats.

Paul
Paul_RK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2023, 10:00 pm   #12
Philips210
Nonode

I think the best work around would be to make an original size PP9 case with with 6x AA cells in a suitable holder fitted inside. A period label could then be fitted around the case for appearance sake.
If high capacity alkaline cells or rechargeable NiMH cells are used then a small fuse would help keep things safe should a short occur. I made a rechargeable PP9 from 6x NiMH cells for my late father's Roberts radio. I used a Panasonic PP9 case though this won't fit the Decca TP99.

Regards,
Symon
Old 28th Nov 2023, 10:17 pm   #13
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips210 View Post
I just had a look at my TP99 and checked to see if a plastic cased Panasonic PP9 will fit. It doesn't. This battery measures 76.5 x 65.2 x 50.3mm...
An original battery, even a dead one. as recommended by Decca for the TP99 would be useful to have to prove the point.
At which I retrieved the nearest card-cased Ever Ready PP9 Power Pack from a shelf, and it measures 79x63x46 mm.

This isn't the only model to be reluctant to accommodate new production PP9s, I met the problem long ago with Hacker Democrats.

Paul
Thanks Paul for confirming the dimensions of your old Ever Ready PP9. When I can find the time I'll probably try and make a PP9 case based on those measurements.

Regards,
Symon
Old 28th Nov 2023, 11:08 pm   #14
wireless_john
Heptode

That's what I'll have to do as well. Thank you all for your help.

John
Old 30th Nov 2023, 12:10 pm   #15
wireless_john
Heptode

Having concluded that no currently available PP9 is ever going to fit in the case, I came up with the following workaround.

Now I know it works, I'll do another one but a make a neater job of it! I made the mistake of using a Dremel cutter and it made the plastic melt here and there!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Workaround 1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	289024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Workaround 2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	289025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Workaround 3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	289026  
Old 2nd Dec 2023, 10:26 am   #16
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You could always use a PP3 with an adaptor.
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 1:22 pm   #17
wireless_john
Heptode

Yes! The 6x AA battery holder has a PP3 connector on it so can be unplugged and replaced with a PP3. It'd rattle around in the case though.

John
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 3:49 pm   #18
Kentode
Octode

John what happens if you turn the battery through 90 degrees, so that the terminals are horizontal? Does it foul the hinge or the back?

BVWS member
Kentode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2023, 8:53 am   #19
wireless_john
Heptode

It fouls the back. It even fouls the back when in its normal position. With my workaround applied, it fits as it should and looks like it should. Only when you remove the battery do you see it.

John