UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 23rd Feb 2024, 4:25 pm   #1
majex45
Hexode

Default Psion 5mx, Psion 5

I am one of those people who still use a Psion 5mx pocketable computer every day but they are notorious for going wrong with broken flexi circuits or broken cases. Not to mention the dreaded leaky batteries.
The case on my latest one has broken in several places so I am looking for a Psion 5mx, ideally working properly but if not, in any state.
I would also consider a Psion 5, again working or not.
Price depends on condition.
Please let me know what you have and how much you would ask for it.
majex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 9:30 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Psion 5mx, Psion 5

It doesn't answer your question, but I don't know if you've checked the price of Psions. Typically £200 upwards with no guarantee that they're working. Just as with vintage radios, with the caveat: ‘Functionality and/or performance is not guaranteed - sold as collectibles only’.

I have a Series 3mx which has an issue with the screen flex, in that it only works at a certain angle, so I stopped using it about 12 years ago. I bought it in 1991, used it extensively and had it repaired once in 2005 with a new flexi connector and looked into getting it repaired again, purely from nostalgic perspective, but cost wise, it would be nostalgia triumphing over common sense and is more than I'd want to pay.

A company called 'Psionex' (based in Lincoln) service and repair them, buy working, non-working or damaged ones, and sell refurbished ones, but as far as I can tell, don't sell spares. The service includes replacement of any worn parts, along with a new screen cable and housing where necessary, so you will receive a refurbished unit with a one year warranty on all parts replaced.

For that, as might be expected, for the Series 5mx & Series 3mx they charge £100 plus delivery, plus VAT:

https://psionex.co.uk/repairs

I hope that might be of passing interest.

Good luck in your quest.
David G4EBT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2024, 2:49 pm   #3
majex45
Hexode

Hi David,
Yes I am aware of ebay and other ways of getting Psions. I have bought from there on occasion with varying degrees of success. Generally they actually sell for about £60 ish, rather than the astronomic prices asked by wide boys hoping to cash in on a trend.
I normally replace the flexi myself - buying them from a couple of sources. It is tedious but not difficult.
Unfortunately the case on the one am using has almost disintegrated so I really need a non-working unit I can "borrow" the case from. The 5 and 5mx use the same case but the 5 has the horrible "touchy-feely" coating which I usually try to remove, if it hasn't already fallen off.
I just hoped someone on here (liking technology) would have one tucked in a drawer 'cos "it'll come in useful someday". Well, today's the day. Pass it on.
majex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2024, 6:25 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

My memory was playing tricks when I said I'd bought my Series 3mx in 1991 - they weren't produced until 1998. The Psion Series 3a (1993), the Psion Series 3c (1996), and the Psion Series 3mx (1998). Psion 3s was discontinued in 1998 shortly after the launch of the Psion Series 5.

A Psion Series 4 doesn't exist, due to Psion's concern of ‘tetraphobia’ in their Asian markets. (Tetraphobia is the practice of avoiding instances of the digit 4. It’s a superstition most common in East Asian nations and is associated with death).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_Series_3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_Series_5

Psions seemed to be everywhere at the turn of the century, so I think your suspicion that someone on here will have one tucked away - maybe a non-worker due to the flexi cable defect - is well founded. At least I hope so.

I'm of a generation that holds onto anything and everything for years, with an uncanny knack of throwing stuff away a couple of weeks before I need it. I even have little conversations with myself about cardboard boxes, because 'well, it's a really good box and you never know...'

Good luck.
David G4EBT is online now   Reply With Quote