UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2021, 8:36 pm   #1
Mgfmgf00
Diode

Default Wharfedale Teesdale omnidirectional speakers

Hi I have a pair of Wharfdale Teesdale speakers and was wondering if anybody had any idea of their value.

Many thanks. Martyn.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 9:12 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Wharfedale Teesdale omnidirectional speakers

Insufficient information! Which version of the Teedsale are they? Also we need photos to assess their condition. I'm not quite sure why you describe them as "Omnidirectional"?
Old 14th Jan 2021, 9:23 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Hello and welcome, Martyn.

Wharfedale had a habit of re-using model names, sometimes several times. So it can be fun tying one down to a particular version. The Teesdale was a fairly large speaker through all its incarnations.

I think the omnidirectional bit may be a give away. There was a variant in the late '60s that had side-firing vents near to the front, sharing a wrap-around grille. An unusual speaker indeed

I managed to find a photo on-line I can link to:

http://zozosir.blogspot.com/2015/06/...-teesdale.html

Would these be the beasties?

David
Old 15th Jan 2021, 11:03 am   #4
Mgfmgf00
Diode

Hi
yep these are the babies.

Model Teesdale
Ser No 1229

made in England by

Rank Wharfedale Ltd
Old 15th Jan 2021, 11:05 am   #5
Mgfmgf00
Diode

Cant supply photos yet but there condition is very similar to the photos posted by Radio Wrangler.
Old 15th Jan 2021, 11:39 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

They don't have any cult following of the sort which whomps up the prices of Tannoys, Lowthers and Quads.

After this era, Wharfedale went a bit downmarket, or maybe all the others went a bit up?

So, I'm afraid they're not worth a lot. Someone might be interested in a pair just to see what they sounded like as a representative of an era.

Someone on here recently bought a pair of Atkinson transmission line monitors from a charity shop for a fiver, and those are full of very desirable drive units that could have been sold for several tens of times what he paid for them.

Depending on who was interested, I'd estimate you might get between 5 and 20 pounds for them.

There is a for sale section on this forum, but there is a strict rule of exact prices only which is awkward if you're unsure of a fair value. The rule is to stop this turning into an auction site and potentially arguments breaking out.

If you want to turn them into money, then one of the internet auction sites is probably your best option. You might just get them seen by someone who once had a pair and feels the urge to reminisce with another pair.

The difficulty will then be one of transportation. Auction items listed 'collection only' take a big hit on bids offered. Packing will be awkward and postage expensive.

David
Old 15th Jan 2021, 12:53 pm   #7
Mgfmgf00
Diode

thanks for time and info wrangler.

interesting.
Old 15th Jan 2021, 1:19 pm   #8
Whaam68
Hexode

I used to have a pair of this model Teesdale and they were really nice speakers with a 15" sealed woofer and open baffle 5" and 3" firing upwards into the omni aluminium half cones up top....if memory serves they were based on a design project from some polytechnic students (or something like that) all ceramic magnets. They were quite sensitive and better sounding than a pair of rebuilt Alnico Wharfedale W3's I also had. In the end to make space I sold them on ebay for if I recall about £70. Wish I'd had the room to keep them. Looking like a washing basket the WAF factor was low!
Mike
Old 15th Jan 2021, 1:33 pm   #9
Whaam68
Hexode

Here were my Teesdale's from a few years ago...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3771.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	224656  
Closed Thread