UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2021, 8:40 pm   #21
JamieEC
Tetrode

Default Re: JVC HR-7700EK / Ferguson 3v23 Issues

Thanks for the response

Last edited by JamieEC; 7th Jan 2021 at 8:50 pm. Reason: duplicate message
Old 7th Jan 2021, 8:49 pm   #22
JamieEC
Tetrode

I will take a look at that thread!
Next more major issue, the image is only outputting in black and white, no colour at all. The picture is very good apart from that!
Old 7th Jan 2021, 10:17 pm   #23
John123
Heptode

Check to make sure the switch on the back is set to 'Auto' or 'Colour'.
Old 7th Jan 2021, 11:51 pm   #24
JamieEC
Tetrode

Right my fault!
When reassembling I had connected the main solenoid and pinch roller solenoid the wrong way, funny thing is this allowed it to play fine, but with the connectors the correct way I need to help the load mechanism.
It is so close to loading correctly. I took a belt off a 3v29 which had a working mech, although the belt is fairly crusty. It was NOS which I bought about 7 years ago
Old 8th Jan 2021, 10:34 am   #25
JamieEC
Tetrode

Do you know what the Auto setting does? Does it just do it based on whether the tape is colour or not?
Old 8th Jan 2021, 11:21 am   #26
JamieEC
Tetrode

Also, I am looking to sort the backup battery, can I replace it with a capacitor?
Old 8th Jan 2021, 6:41 pm   #27
JamieEC
Tetrode

So as suspected it is the belt which has failed.
Anyone know the belt size for this machine. I believe it's the same as the 3v29/3v30
Old 8th Jan 2021, 9:21 pm   #28
its ur aerial
Hexode

I believe the Belt is the same one as a 3V29/30. You will need the SW on
the Colour position, I think if you play a Mono Tape on it with the switch in the colour position, you get a sort of coloured Confetti affect on the picture, were the Colour killer is not working Cant remember exactly now.
Probably not seen one in anger since 1985! As for the Battery, try removing it and flashing 12 volts with a bit of current across it, to shock it back into life, Ive done it many times, but be careful, the Elf and Safety Mob would not be impressed.
Ken G6HZG

Last edited by its ur aerial; 8th Jan 2021 at 9:36 pm. Reason: SPELLING.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 11:15 pm   #29
JamieEC
Tetrode

I cannot find one new though, I am a bit reluctant to buy new old stock since the other one I had on my 3v29 has already perished.
I will bear that in mind about the colour switch, however I don't think I shall be playing any b+w tapes!
I daren't risk the battery, as it is leaking already.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 11:17 pm   #30
JamieEC
Tetrode

You can tell they were showing off a bit, backup battery on a VCR. I don't think many did that did they? Ive certainly not had one with a backup battery
Old 9th Jan 2021, 7:41 pm   #31
John123
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieEC View Post
You can tell they were showing off a bit, backup battery on a VCR. I don't think many did that did they? Ive certainly not had one with a backup battery
Most machines would've had one to hold the clock and timer programming data (as well as the stored channel presets) in the event of a power cut. Later on, manufacturers switched to using Supercapacitors, instead.
Old 9th Jan 2021, 10:01 pm   #32
nigelr2000
Heptode

This is my goto for belts many different sizes just tie a string/thread round the reels to estimate the length then use Pi to find the diameter or cheat and use this https://www.omnicalculator.com/math/circumference.

Dead simple the only downside is that they don't list them by size https://cpc.farnell.com/c/audio-visu...earchlookahead

No connection to the company just been a satisfied customer for the last 35 odd years
Old 10th Jan 2021, 3:36 pm   #33
JamieEC
Tetrode

Thanks for that
Courtesy of a video on youtube, I have found that the belt is 28.5mm diameter X 1.8mm square. How close do you think the tolerances are? Do you think 30mm X 1.6mm would be good?
Thanks again everyone! This help is much appreciated.
Old 10th Jan 2021, 6:24 pm   #34
nigelr2000
Heptode

try it and see you can always drop down one size if it's too slippy.
Old 11th Jan 2021, 4:33 pm   #35
samjmann
Heptode

A loading belt job on these is easy... Just make sure that the rings that are driven by the gears on the loading motor assy, ARE NOT MOVED AT ALL when the motor is removed. If the rings slip round then the the deck timing is wrong etc etc.

I used to lock the loading arms in position with insulated wire or similar when removing the motor. Just be careful.

SJM
Old 12th Jan 2021, 1:31 am   #36
JamieEC
Tetrode

Ah well lets hope they haven't moved to much :/
Any advice on how to spot/fix this if its an issue?
Old 12th Jan 2021, 12:34 pm   #37
Winsoxuk
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieEC View Post
Ah well lets hope they haven't moved to much :/
Any advice on how to spot/fix this if its an issue?
I remember being mesmerized by these machines when they turned up at primary school.

I was that obsessed with these my grandfather went to shudehill video in Manchester and bought me a second-hand one at the price of £150.

It really got me hooked on electronics and home entertainment products and then decided that's what I wanted to do as a career.

Anyhow your 3v23 I would advise that you Mark the two rings which moved opposite each other when loading with a marker pen then it will be easy to line up. If you get it wrong you can tell because you'll see the guideposts as they load one will be ahead of the other .

Also the best way of working on these if you want to do it with the loading mechanism for the cassette out of the way is to cover the right hand side of the machine with cardboard pull the loading cassette lift out upside down to the right hand side of the machine on the top.
Manually load it down fully and make sure that you cover both ends sensors with something to prevent light getting in.

The real time counter is estimated on this unit by real rotation. Quite a feat for it's time and also the times 2 speed with audio was also groundbreaking for a machine of its age.

I really did love the 3 v 23 but don't drop it on your foot.!!!

hope you fix all the other issues with it also you can replace the battery backup on the clock board for a larger one I did this and my battery backup lasted for an entire two weeks!
Old 15th Jan 2021, 12:31 am   #38
JamieEC
Tetrode

Thanks for the info!
I have managed to find a replacement belt the correct size so lets hope this works.
When I have had it playing, the audio seems very low. Was using a tape recorded in some 90s Panasonic deck, not sure how well this will affect the linear audio.
I would love to get this working as it is very nicely engineered and back from an era when things were designed to be repaired.. and yes it is heavy!
How big are these compared to say a 3v16? It is bigger than my 3v29 because of the front load mech I think mainly.
Old 15th Jan 2021, 1:12 am   #39
Michael Maurice

Its an entirely different beast from the 3V16. This is bigger and much heavier.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 20th Jan 2021, 3:56 pm   #40
JamieEC
Tetrode

Looks like we are in business!
Machine working (Mechanically at least) with new load belt. Now I need to put it together and connect it to a colour set and play some decent tapes on it.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 22nd Jan 2021 at 10:04 am. Reason: eBay reference removed
Closed Thread