UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2018, 6:45 pm   #1
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Default Volume dipping with new stylus

Hey. Just replaced stylus on dansette conquest. Did have an St8 lps/st8 78. Just replaced with new stylus St12 lps/78 st12. Problem is when playing most records now volume goes up and down as record spins. Put old stylus back on and problem not there. Any ideas why and what’s happening? Real confusing? Please help!!!
Old 21st Apr 2018, 7:55 pm   #2
HG MICKE
Pentode

Default Re: Volume dipping with new stylus

St12/15 stylus is not the same as St8/9/10 the St12 has an alluminium cantilever and the St8 has a plastic cantilever which is thicker and will fit the rubber mount tightly, the St12 will move about hence the sound level going up and down.

Colin
Old 21st Apr 2018, 8:02 pm   #3
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you Colin. So why do people buy the st12? Or is it that it’s just not too good for the Dansette. I bought it to play my 80s vinyl. Would I be better trying to get an St 8 instead? What would you suggest? Any help much appreciated as I’m new to dansette and record players etc but I’m trying to learn because it’s such great fun.
Old 21st Apr 2018, 8:55 pm   #4
PsychMan
Octode

I would imagine that stylus is meant for another cartridge. There were likely a few different cartridges used in the various models.

A Dansette record player is not the best thing to play later LPs on, it will likely wear the vinyl more especially if it has an old cartridge with hardened rubber suspension, and it wont sound high fidelity. Has the player had some sort of refurbishment?

Don't want to pee on your parade, just I'm assuming they are LPs you're playing and you will probably get much better results from a late 70s direct drive deck.

To clarify, I love autochangers myself and if serviced and in good order they wont unduly wear records. That said, I'm not about to play my late fathers Pink Floyd LPs on them!!
Old 21st Apr 2018, 9:04 pm   #5
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Hey Psychman thanks for reply. The dansette has been cleaned and regreased by myself. The cartridge is a BSR X5h and where the needle sits is pretty spongy. It has a st8/lps needle on it that plays the records fine. But since buying new st12/“lps it’s going up and down in volume. Only reason I replaced needle was because I wasn’t sure how old or damaged/worn it was. Ps. It’s my 1980s Smiths lps and Just some other 1980s lps I’ve had for ages. Not quite pink floyd!!
Old 21st Apr 2018, 9:49 pm   #6
HG MICKE
Pentode

If you pm your details I can stick an St8 dual diamond stylus in the post.
The St12 is for an SC12M/H cartridge.

Colin
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 9:50 am   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Without overcomplicating this Thread, the BSR X5H cartridge as mentioned by the OP is actually the wrong cartridge for a Dansette "Conquest" as it is a high-output type. Incidentally, it's very rare now and worth a lot of money in it's own right for a better application to other types of players. That is why a plastic shanked ST8 type would suit it better. Sometimes these cartridges were fitted in a mistaken attempt to get more volume out of a player, but what was actually achieved was more distortion. The Conquest needs a medium output like the newer SC12M/H type referenced above.
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 1:52 pm   #8
Techman
Dekatron

It's true that unfortunately you can't usually get away with replacing an ST8 with an ST12, which is a shame as the ST12 is a much better stylus due to the flexibility of its cantilever arm. I've experimented in the past with swapping them over, but due to the thicker plastic arm of the ST8 having a 'wider' groove bed in the 'rubber' of the high output type cartridge, the thinner arm of the ST12 just flops about and won't work properly. Bad luck on this occasion, as some say they've managed to get away with it, but my experience has always confirmed that you can't.
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 2:06 pm   #9
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for the explanation and advice. Very much appreciated. Sending the st12 back and having a new st8 delivered soon. Thank you guys for all your help.
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 10:46 pm   #10
ben
Dekatron

The problem is, the X5H takes the ST8, 9 or 10 plastic stylus (the latter having two Lp tips, the former two also have one for 78) and the X5M takes ST12/14/15/19, metal shank. As has been said, physically they share the same mount so will clip in, but the stylus shank size differs and will affect the sound.

Note Colin, post 6. The ST12 will not be useable in an SC12 cart. These take the smaller ST16/17/20/21.

See my ceramic cartridge and stylus document for more info.
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 10:59 pm   #11
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Ben you’re an absolute legend. I’ve checked out the links. I’m learning more and more every day. Thanks so much guys.
Closed Thread