UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2018, 8:24 am   #21
petulia
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: CA 1010 amplifier advice needed

I have just come across these as they are right on my doorstep https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THIS-IS-A...8AAOSwB1JazO0y

Interested to hear your thoughts! Don't worry I won't post each speaker I come across on here!
Old 20th Apr 2018, 9:34 am   #22
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

They will give plenty of omphhh I would have thought. The dome damage on the mid-range unit is essentially cosmetic and can be ignored. Quite rare too. These will not sound as "accurate" as the Wharfedales you were looking at but will be great for parties.
Old 20th Apr 2018, 9:41 am   #23
Radio Wrangler

Large Japanese speakers are fairly rare in the UK. Shipping costs made them uncompetitive and European tastes in sound are different to Japanese. Most people bought Japanese electronics, but went local for the woodwork!

Sony did a deal with B&W in the seventies amd the posher end of Sony's speakers were badged B&Ws. EG: DM70 became the Sony SS7000. Not a suggestion spare electrostatic drivers could be a problem.

It may be hard to find anyone with any knowledge of them. They are probably OK but not exceptional.

Don't rush. People have found better speakers for lower prices than that. The key to searching is that they are too big to post! look in charity shops, freecycle or ebay collect only.

David
Old 20th Apr 2018, 12:49 pm   #24
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by petulia View Post
I have just come across these as they are right on my doorstep https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THIS-IS-A...8AAOSwB1JazO0y

Interested to hear your thoughts! Don't worry I won't post each speaker I come across on here!
I'd give those a wide berth. There were some very good Japanese loudspeakers but the bullet tweeters and shiny dustcaps suggest that these are 'more show than go' (I have never encountered any loudspeaker with a shiny dust cap on one of its drivers that is any good!).

Your Yamaha is a superb amplifier - it deserves much better.
Old 20th Apr 2018, 5:51 pm   #25
sp10mk11
Octode

A natural match for this high end amplifier would be the Legendary Yamaha NS-1000s, they are still held in high regard after all these years, though of course there are others, IMF transmission lines etc.
Good luck you have made a very good purchase
Gary

Those speakers on your doorstep would be like running an old Rolls Royce on 2* petrol don,t even bother
Old 20th Apr 2018, 6:50 pm   #26
stevehertz
Dekatron

You'll need to put aside between £1,000 and £1,600 for a pair of Yamaha NS1000 speakers. Not a goer in my opinion, but then I am not aware of your financial situation! There were smaller versions of the NS1000 mind you, but they too are expensive.
Old 20th Apr 2018, 8:16 pm   #27
sp10mk11
Octode

stevehertz
Don't worry Steve I do not have enough money to have a "situation", though there is a pair on ebay for 800...........

Yours Poor In Cornwall
Gary
Old 20th Apr 2018, 9:16 pm   #28
Radio Wrangler

Having had a look around, inspired by mention of IMF transmission line speakers further up the thread, a pair of IMF TLS80 even MKII ones look like they would fit within the budget and these beasties are rather special.

One nice thing about second-hand speakers is that they've done all their depreciating and if you really don't get on with them, you can sell them and get your original money back.

The danger with keeping swapping speakers is that eventually you'll realise that something you sold some time back was the best you'd ever had and you wish you hadn't sold them. Some things just aren't fully appreciated until you swap to something you find you like less.

Murphy!

David
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 9:18 pm   #29
petulia
Retired Dormant Member

Unfortunately after using far more than my budget allowed on the amp I don't have much in the way of money for the speakers.

I have since found a pair of Wharfedale S500's which are on Gumtree, reckon if I can get them for £30 they would be a good buy?
Old 24th Apr 2018, 10:21 am   #30
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You could use these for the time being. I think their power rating is 75 watts so don't overdrive these.