UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2018, 3:38 pm   #421
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Maplin stores

Earlier this week, can't remember which day, Solihull Maplin had a sign up saying new stock had arrived. I guess they are emptying the warehouse. I bought a 12V 1A PSU for £8 (marked price £19.99). Most shelves are now looking empty, yet they still have some bigger stuff at only 30% off.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 8:25 pm   #422
Mooly
Octode

I have pretty much the same comments as everyone else...

Went into the Blackpool store today (and its probably my last visit) and was disappointed but not surprised to see nothing I wanted at anything like a reasonable price.

Pre-packaged RCA and HDMI leads were at least five or six times the price of similar quality stuff available from the likes of CPC etc.

As I walked around I couldn't help but think that this situation is purely one of their own making because first and foremost they are just not competitive. Even the staff seemed disinterested today as they seemed to be just talking among themselves.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 1:45 am   #423
IanBland
Hexode

I think as well that as the focus shifted from the old core business of components, the stunning ignorance of the staff didn't help their image to the customer. Components wise they had no idea what they were selling. "It's an op amp" would elicit a total blank look.

A while ago I was buying a bunch of various CMOS chips. At one point the guy got something from a drawer and plonked it on the counter and I was, "that's not right. That's a piezo buzzer". (The "FFS" muttered only internally).

He had no idea that it was wrong. And this fellow has I know worked there for some considerable time- but had never developed any interest in the things he was selling. I can't understand how somebody can even do a job in that state of ignorance. I'd feel awkward all day thinking what the customers would be thinking of me.

But anyway, I'll still miss the chance to buy a ludicrously overpriced capacitor or two (not three though, mind) in an emergency. I daresay before long drone deliveries are going to fix that though anyway.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 10:12 am   #424
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil29 View Post
I went to the Newport road branch on Tuesday but I wasn't tempted by any of it because as many people have said the prices haven't come down that much considering they're meant to be clearing it all out..
You would think that one of the bean counters would understand that if they don't get rid of the stuff now, it's going to end up in some warehouse anyway costing rent and taking up room and then being rush sold off for peanuts.

In my local there were half used cable reels haphazardly stacked with prices £1- £2 etc I thought good time to stock up with a reel or two ..assistant then said that is per metre sir not the whole reel LOL
Old 13th Apr 2018, 11:15 am   #425
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Yes, in Solihull there were random part reels of cable. The only price information displayed was the discount. I couldn't be bothered to ask, because the reply would probably be more than I was willing to pay. I was tempted to make an offer to take the part reel off their hands, but I knew they would not accept this. I guess the staff have an interest in not selling the stock, as their job disappears when the shelves are empty. The liquidators seem as incompetent at destroying the business as the former owners were in running it. I wonder what the people who started Maplin think of all this; it was successful while they ran it.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 12:10 pm   #426
chriswood1900
Octode

A visit to both my local store in Bristol and Basingstoke whilst travelling meant I bought a few heavily discounted battery holders and other components but all the larger stuff was still very overpriced and they seemed to have bundled the normal electronic components in odd combinations for sale in their drawers. Anyway, I left having spent £21 & £9 respectively, I can't see how they ever hope to sell the overpriced Drones and Radio controlled bits at the prices they are.
Chris
Old 13th Apr 2018, 12:21 pm   #427
pastyboy
Hexode

I enquired with my trade account manager to purchase large qty of 2 lines we take in around 50 to 100pcs every few months, the price was higher than when we last bought them 6 weeks ago ! when I asked if I could at very least have the same price all I got was in his exact words "no can do !" I didn't even bother with a reply that would have gone along the lines "with an attitude like that, no wonder they are going down the pan !"
Old 13th Apr 2018, 5:17 pm   #428
bobskie
Hexode

Went in today and came out with 3 project boxes for £5 and a large set of drawers filled with components for £25. The components are just a bonus as I was looking for some drawers to organise my stuff, however now I have even more stuff to organise.
Old 16th Apr 2018, 1:42 am   #429
AL-M0KFO
Retired Dormant Member

It would appear (please correct me if I'm wrong), that Maplin will no longer allow you to order and pay online to collect.

This is a PITA when you want to order a number of low value items, and allow them time to find the components and bag them up, ready for when you get there.
Old 16th Apr 2018, 10:09 am   #430
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I went to the Christchurch (Dorset) store yesterday. Very much as others have described with component drawers, reels of cable and minimal discounts on higher value stuff etc. Lots of drones, disco gear and other electronic toys still available.

Headphones were 40% off, so I bought my partner Sennheiser RS 120 II cordless headphones, was £99.95 now £59.95. This is something we were looking for anyway so we were happy to get with a good discount.

There were three staff, none approached us but they were available and happy to help when asked.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 16th Apr 2018, 10:23 am   #431
evingar
Octode

That's a very good price, Paul, and shows they are making meaningful discounts on some higher value things.
Old 16th Apr 2018, 3:45 pm   #432
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I popped into the rugby shop on Saturday as I was passing. They have restocked some items. The big prototyping breadboards were being sold off at 70% discount meaning they were £3.30 ish which is an amazing price so bought a couple.

Some extra plugs and sockets but not much more. I had a look at some of the lucky bags of components but was not tempted by any of them. The sets of drawers were bundled up though I was not tempted to spend £20 to £100 on stuff I don't have any use for.

Christopher Capener
Old 17th Apr 2018, 1:10 am   #433
winston_1
Hexode

Thought I had been for the last time, but I couldn't help popping into one in Charlton as I was passing. Came out with a 100m real of Webro WF100 cable for £21. It was claimed to be 80% off from £109! In fact just over half of what other places charge so still OK.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 10:31 am   #434
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Yes, at 60-80% discount their cable is now worth buying.
Old 19th Apr 2018, 9:29 am   #435
ex seismic
Heptode

Same story as everywhere else at Chester this weekend. Stuff still overpriced even after the discounts. You'd think they would want to get rid of everything rather than pay to ship and store it somewhere.

Very different at the adjacent Toys-r-us which was nearly empty of stock and even the shelving was being sold.

Gordon
Old 27th Apr 2018, 3:29 am   #436
AL-M0KFO
Retired Dormant Member

Website now says minimum 40% off, but the main point is the website closes on the 30th April. Can't be long before the shops shut.
Old 27th Apr 2018, 11:23 am   #437
Orakle42
Pentode

I visited my local Maplins this week to see what was on offer, I can only reiterate what has been observed by many others. If you want a discounted drone or disco lights ok but everything else still over priced. Many shelves are empty and are themselves up for sale. If you are tempted by their batteries check the dates on the packaging although like everything else they are still expensive. I came away empty handed feeling that I had wasted the parking meter fee.

Orakle42.
Old 27th Apr 2018, 12:22 pm   #438
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orakle42 View Post
If you are tempted by their batteries check the dates on the packaging although like everything else they are still expensive.

Orakle42.

I bought a price reduced pack of six pp3 9v batteries, then see 3 weeks later they are selling a pack of six pp3 for £2.40 or you could buy an single "Extra power" pp3 for £2.40 ?? Both Maplin Alkaline and look same but different code, can there be that much difference in capacity?

John.
Old 27th Apr 2018, 3:05 pm   #439
Jolly 7
Octode

Maplin's website is closing down on Monday 30 April so this is the last chance to buy something online from them unless you live close enough to one of their stores, which are running low on some items but still remain open .
Old 27th Apr 2018, 4:06 pm   #440
Station X

Have any branches actually closed?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread