UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2018, 7:11 pm   #1
Paul Godley
Pentode

Default PR99 braking

Hello

I have a Pr99 which I am restoring ( lots of faults!) and now I have a braking problem or have I?

When using a combination reel size say 7" on the left reel (supply) and 10.5 on the take up reel on fast rewind, when pressing stop the reels stop but the 10.5 reel has some tape overspill. about half a revolution.

Its the same if I transfer the reels so the 7" on take up and 10.5 on supply, hit Fast forward and tape spills on the right reel this time.
Using 2 x 10.5 reels with a full tape load, both stop fine, both directions
I haven't tried it with 2 x 7" reels however.

I am missing something?

Thanks

Paul G
Old 10th Apr 2018, 7:52 pm   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: PR99 braking

Don't mix NAB and cine spools.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 9:09 pm   #3
Paul Godley
Pentode

Default Re: PR99 braking

Hello Barry

yes you are correct. I have tried 2 x 7" reels and also fine. The brake was weak though on the take up.
Thanks for the help.

Best regards

paul
Closed Thread