UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2020, 12:29 pm   #61
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

Default Re: Tellux record player

It’s working at the moment!
Old 17th May 2020, 12:00 pm   #62
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

OK, so I do have sound now, it crackles every now and again and it doesn't seem particularly loud, but to be honest I have no recollection or idea of how loud these things would be anyway.
Old 17th May 2020, 12:17 pm   #63
Michael Maurice

Do you have to put the volume to full to get a reasonable listening level? Those amplifiers were never that powerful.

You might find that replacing some capacitors would help, that depends on your skill level, also as another poster has said, replacing the half wave rectifier with a bridge rectifier will help.

If you feel confident, then we can guide you through it.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 17th May 2020, 6:45 pm   #64
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

It’s really quiet even at maximum volume, I could have knocked the tape off slightly, I’ll have to take it apart again when I get chance.

It certainly sounded louder when I first tested it.

Last edited by ChrisChilton; 17th May 2020 at 6:52 pm. Reason: Incomplete
Old 17th May 2020, 6:56 pm   #65
Techman
Dekatron

It could be the tape insulation slightly damaged as you slid the transistors back into the heatsinks - you need to open them up very slightly. However, I suspect the cartridge - do the buzz test again on full volume and if it seems a LOT louder than the music does through the cartridge, then that's your answer. If this test proves inconclusive, I would advise measuring the voltage across the large silver capacitor and reporting back. If this capacitor is leaky it will drag the supply voltage down and if it is, you'll also notice that it runs warm to the touch. Usually failure of this large capacitor causes an increase in general hum from the speaker, regardless of volume control setting, but check out the cartridge first.
Old 17th May 2020, 7:10 pm   #66
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
It could be the tape insulation slightly damaged as you slid the transistors back into the heatsinks - you need to open them up very slightly. However, I suspect the cartridge - do the buzz test again on full volume and if it seems a LOT louder than the music does through the cartridge, then that's your answer. If this test proves inconclusive, I would advise measuring the voltage across the large silver capacitor and reporting back. If this capacitor is leaky it will drag the supply voltage down and if it is, you'll also notice that it runs warm to the touch. Usually failure of this large capacitor causes an increase in general hum from the speaker, regardless of volume control setting, but check out the cartridge first.
I have a meter but as you know I’m a complete amateur, please tell me, how to measure across that capacitor.
Old 17th May 2020, 8:05 pm   #67
Techman
Dekatron

Always start with the highest DC voltage range and work down, but highest (600 volt?) range will do, but check the audio with another buzz test first. You've had the cartridge tags off and probably put stress on the pins of the cartridge. These tags being often tight, causes a problem with the connections inside with these old cartridges, as they're not soldered internally and are just a 'touch' connection - a VERY common problem with the X5 cartridge. I always advise people to avoid touching the cartridge pins unless it's absolutely unavoidable, as in your case. Never get a soldering iron anywhere near the cartridge pins, as the heat will kill a cartridge in seconds.
Old 17th May 2020, 10:44 pm   #68
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

Quote:
There was a definite buzz from the speaker this time when I took the cartridge out and touched one of the cables.
Old 17th May 2020, 10:49 pm   #69
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

Just put the cartridge back in, it’s much louder but the sound keeps dipping in and out (loud and quiet).
Old 17th May 2020, 10:54 pm   #70
Techman
Dekatron

Yes, but was it a speaker rattler or just 'low level' like your record sound output - you can touch the connection with your finger for maximum buzz! If you had the means to do it, a proper test would be to supply the input from another music source.
Old 17th May 2020, 10:55 pm   #71
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisChilton View Post
Just put the cartridge back in, it’s much louder but the sound keeps dipping in and out (loud and quiet).
Definitely the cartridge - like I suspected.
Old 17th May 2020, 10:59 pm   #72
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

Quote:
Quote:
Definitely the cartridge - like I suspected.
Seems to have sorted itself out now.

Can go really loud but too scared to with my wife asleep downstairs.

Can you recommend a replacement cartridge please?
Old 17th May 2020, 11:19 pm   #73
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

Sound is fine sometimes, then goes quiet/crackly, give the cartridge a tap and it’s back to normal.
Old 17th May 2020, 11:31 pm   #74
Techman
Dekatron

It may be the connection to just one of the pins on the inside of the cartridge, but it could be a combination of both of them. If you can identify which pin it is, you can flex the pin with a pair of long nose pliers, which sometimes makes the internal contact good again, but can also break the contact altogether - the risk is yours.

A replacement (if you can find one) could cost up to £40 and will be 'old stock' so could go the same way as yours. If you don't play 78s, then the Chinese red/black ones for £1.50 are excellent and won't spoil your records, but you'll need to make a spacer to fit it and also get a tracking weight gauge to reset the head weight to prevent record damage - they're cheap enough, so get one anyway while they're still available on Ebay. You'll have to spend a lot more to get one with a mounting clip like your original one, so be 'adaptive' and make something yourself. You can stick it in temporarily with Blu-tack, but don't forget the extra weight that you'll have to adjust out with the use of a balance.
Old 17th May 2020, 11:36 pm   #75
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

Quote:
It may be the connection to just one of the pins on the inside of the cartridge, but it could be a combination of both of them. If you can identify which pin it is, you can flex the pin with a pair of long nose pliers, which sometimes makes the internal contact good again, but can also break the contact altogether - the risk is yours.

A replacement (if you can find one) could cost up to £40 and will be 'old stock' so could go the same way as yours. If you don't play 78s, then the Chinese red/black ones for £1.50 are excellent and won't spoil your records, but you'll need to make a spacer to fit it and also get a tracking weight gauge to reset the head weight to prevent record damage - they're cheap enough, so get one anyway while they're still available on Ebay. You'll have to spend a lot more to get one with a mounting clip like your original one, so be 'adaptive' and make something yourself. You can stick it in temporarily with Blu-tack, but don't forget the extra weight that you'll have to adjust out with the use of a balance.
The problem is that there is no weight to counter-balance on this tone arm.
Old 17th May 2020, 11:49 pm   #76
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
The problem is that there is no weight to counter-balance on this tone arm.
Yes there is, it's a BSR deck and there's a spring under the back of the arm.

Read the 'sticky' threads on your deck at the top of this page.
Old 18th May 2020, 12:44 pm   #77
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

So any of the cheap red/black carts will be fine? Do they need to be mono as this one only has two pins.
Old 18th May 2020, 1:10 pm   #78
AC/HL
Dekatron

If you look under the arm, you'll find the other two wires tucked up underneath. They can be joined to produce mono at the tag strip under the turntable chassis.

Edit: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...34&postcount=1
Join the black to the green and white to the red.
Old 18th May 2020, 1:30 pm   #79
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
If you look under the arm, you'll find the other two wires tucked up underneath. They can be joined to produce mono at the tag strip under the turntable chassis.

Edit: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...34&postcount=1
Join the black to the green and white to the red.
Sorry, you’ve really confused me.

Are you saying that I’d need to use the two wires that are unused under the tone arm on the other two pins of the cartridge?

Last edited by ChrisChilton; 18th May 2020 at 1:34 pm. Reason: Pressed send too soon.
Old 18th May 2020, 4:10 pm   #80
Michael Maurice

Yes that's correct.

I tend to favour these cartridges the should fit the bracket you have.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread