UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 23rd May 2020, 10:08 pm   #21
MotorBikeLes
Octode

Default Re: Oscilloscope question - not vintage

WME Bill mentioned a good few scopes earlier, with which i would mostly agree.
I will offer just two, a valved scope and an all solid state one, bearing in mind the OPs needs. A Telequipment S32. Simple valve job, up to 10MHz bandwidth, everything replaceable or repairable. Very old, but stonking little 'scopes.
For the solid state, go with any of the D65, D66, D67 or D67A. 15 to 25MHz bandwidth, single or dual timebase, simple to operate and everything is off the shelf stuff. No magic ICs or other strange stuff.
Perhaps I should have thrown in the S54A as a basic solid state 10MHz scope as well.
If any of these has a good CRT (and quite a few replacements available if not) and a GOOD MAINS TRANSFORMER, you are good to go. Only Mains transformers could be difficult to obtain, everything else that is critical is easily found.
Les.
MotorBikeLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:48 pm   #22
hillmanie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmanie View Post
Insofar as I can think ahead I only need it to measure and examine the waveform of AF voltages in intervalve amplifier circuits looking for distortion TT
Ah, you may be heading for a small pitfall.

You're planning your scope needs around the signals you expect to have in a working piece of gear.

You will also come across things which go unstable and oscillate. A low bandwidth scope might not show this and give you a smooth low freq trace that looks OK.

I'd suggest you should get at least a 10 or 20MHz scope to cover the sorts of misbehaviours you'll come across. Any less and you'll miss some clues that could make life a lot easier.

Two channels are handy for comparing things. You'll get along fine without needing more.
David
Timely warning thanks. I may learn something from working on two of the exact same model which - Murphy's Law permitting may have different fault symptoms. I may be able to compare a working piece of circuit from one recorder with the same section of the faulty one. (I expect to always have a working clone as I, Heaven forgive me have been buying 10 junkers to a number of thirty five currently. Since a lot of British manufactures seem to use the same circuitry I'm hoping to gain experience that way
Tony
hillmanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 1:44 pm   #23
dave cox
Octode

An example of what David (Radio Wrangler) speaks !

here

dc
dave cox is offline   Reply With Quote