UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 22nd May 2020, 11:15 pm   #1
DMcMahon
Octode

Default Telefunken M204 TS E2 Commenced

Made a start tonight checking out my Telefunken M204 TS E2, which arrived a few days ago. Unlike its rebadged sibling the Senator TT 494, it arrived with no shipping damage and good condition Perspex lid.

Condition wise looks reasonable from the front, quite tatty from the rear and inside.

3 of its 4 drive belts are missing with remaining belt (flywheel) possibly well stretched and like the Senator the capstan shaft is well off centre (to the left of) of the hole in the heads mounting plate. Heads look good condition and pinch roller is quite cracked and stiff to rotate.

When I removed the chassis from the case I found 2 springs inside, hopefully will find a home for these later. All 4 springy plastic bars to reset the tape counter segments are broken/missing, I found 2 remnants in the case.

The Mode selector switch is very stiff on its first 5 positions and will not switch to the last 2 positions including "Stereo".

Noticed that one of the internal fuses (315mA) has blown, hopefully that is not ominous.

Will fit a 3 core mains cable and plug and power up to see if motor runs and DC supplies come up, before doing anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Telefunken 204 #1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	206492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Springs.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	206493  
DMcMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2020, 9:38 am   #2
DMcMahon
Octode

Default Re: Telefunken M204 TS E2 Commenced

Continental 2 core mains cable and 2 pin plug replaced by 3 core and 3 pin. Mains voltage selection changed from 220 to 240. Replaced blown 315mA fuse.

Powered up OK (so fuse OK) and motor runs. +21.5 volt DC supply good. Because had to disconnect from internal speakers to get it out of its box, presently the two fuses for the output of the two power amps are removed, will refit these later when reconnected to the speakers.

Next to install 3 new belts, am hoping that the fitted flywheel belt may be OK (a bigger job to replace that belt) and hopefully get the tape transport all working. Will do some general cleaning as I go.
Old 23rd May 2020, 8:38 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Octode

3 new drive belts installed and the tape transport appears to be working fine and all 3 speeds work. The original flywheel drive belt looks to be holding up (thought originally it looked a bit loose). Did quite a bit of cleaning, lubing various stiff parts and glue repairs.

Next to check out the very stiff (and some positions not switching into at all) Mode select switch. Very unlikely to be the associated electrical switch, which is multi position slide switch on the main board, assume problem to be a mechanical problem with one of the connecting actuating mechanisms.
Old 24th May 2020, 10:18 am   #4
DMcMahon
Octode

Stripped, cleaned and lubricated several mechanical parts of the Mode Selector switch mechanisms, all of which were gummed up. Now operation not stiff but not as smooth as one might expect, I think just due to the design (how the teeth on a pawl ratchet segment engage with a little roller pin).

However during the above I realised that it was impossible for the mechanics to switch to the 6 positions marked on the switch control knob, it only can switch to 4 positions.

Comparing the switch operation to my Senator, I then realised that I had mixed up the 2 knobs between the 2 machines. Both knobs had been in the same component storage box and by mistake I picked up the Senator knob and fitted to the Telefunken.

The Senator is 4 track with 6 positions on the knob and the Telefunken is 2 track with 4 positions on the knob. Seems a stupid thing to do but I think at the time had not really released that the Telefunken was 2 track and therefore automatically assumed that the 2 control knobs were the same.

Next to test playback and record.
Old Yesterday, 9:14 am   #5
DMcMahon
Octode

Refitted the two 1.25A output fuses in the power amp and reconnected the loudspeakers in readiness for testing playback and record.

While doing this got side tracked for quite a while, when I noticed that one side of the main board was somewhat bowing out due to the tape speed switch actuation hardware that operates a slide switch on the board, not being correctly aligned and as a result the slide switch was not switching properly if at all.

Did several things to fix this, no single one worked reliably on its own.

1. Top corner plastic fixing of the board was broken and the fixing screw head was smaller than the hole in the board. Used a longer self tapping screw (original machine screw being too short when used with the washer) and large washer to fix down, this reduced the bowing but not enough.

2. Loosened and adjusted a fraction inwards metal actuator on the slide switch.

3. Tweaked (slightly twisted over) the main metal actuator so that the slide switch actuator sat on the horizontal top edge of the main actuator, rather than sitting on the sloped edge as before adjustments.

4. Combination of 1, 2 & 3 got it working OK wth no bowing but quite stiff operation, which somewhat surprisingly was due to the slide switch itself, a spray of contact cleaner got the switch loosened up.

Interestingly while comparing the switch operation to my Senator, saw that on the Senator all the components on the board are identified but on the Telefunken none of the components are identified.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowed side of board.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	206709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resecured top corner.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	206710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Senator components identified.jpg