UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2009, 6:28 am   #1
Psimonics
Retired Dormant Member

Default Alternative to PP9 for Roberts R717

I recently dug an old Roberts R717 out of the cupboard and wish to use it outside in the garden. The problem is that PP9 batteries are not at all available where I live, in Japan, and the cost of having them shipped in from overseas is prohibitive.

A friend suggested a lithium 9V PP3 battery might be a suitable substitute due to its long life. I also noticed that there is a rechargeable Lithium PP3 available here. Would such a battery be suitable?

Would appreciate any feedback. It's a beautiful radio it seems a shame not to put it to use.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:04 am   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Alternative to PP9 for Roberts R717

Hello,

Roberts used to make a battery box, the 06600, which took six C type batteries for their portable radios where PP9 batteries were not available.

http://www.bobsradio.co.uk/accessori...attery_box.htm

They're no longer available but I daresay you will be able to find something similar in Japan to power your R717.

Howard
Old 26th May 2009, 11:07 am   #3
petervk2mlg
Heptode

You could use use 6 X AA batteries in a suitable battery holder.
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 cell holder.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	25814  
Old 26th May 2009, 11:58 am   #4
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Alternative to PP9 for Roberts R717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psimonics View Post
A friend suggested a lithium 9V PP3 battery might be a suitable substitute due to its long life. I also noticed that there is a rechargeable Lithium PP3 available here. Would such a battery be suitable?

Would appreciate any feedback. It's a beautiful radio it seems a shame not to put it to use.
I use a rechargeable Uniross PP3 with a suitable clip, these can be bought in packs of five. Keeping the original PP9 connector and wiring the PP3 clip to it, observing polarity. I haven't heard of lithium rechargeable, the Uniross is a nickel metal hydride. I had a two week business trip to Japan, a beautiful country.

Geof
Old 26th May 2009, 12:57 pm   #5
Psimonics
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks so much for all your replies.

I'll check out what battery boxes are available.

Geof, what kind of battery life do you get out of the Uniross 9V?

Cheers all,
Simon
Old 26th May 2009, 12:58 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

If you've got an old metal case PP9, it's fairly simple to empty it out and rebuild with 6 AA alkaline cells inside.

A bit of a hassle come replacement time, but nice and cheap!

Alternatively, there are rechargeable ones available

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...94955488&Nty=1

but at £30 each maybe not very attractive!

Chris
Old 26th May 2009, 1:10 pm   #7
batterymaker1
Heptode

I also build replica PP9s. They two banks of 6 AA batteries.
Old 26th May 2009, 1:13 pm   #8
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

A word of caution about those RS rechargeable PP9s, I picked up a couple of these for just a pound each at an audiojumble, they work well but are slightly oversized compared with a standard PP9, and have "squarer" corners, so they won't physicaly fit in most Roberts and Hacker models! Fine for most other sets though, If space is tight, the 6X AA cells in a holder is probably the best option.

Regards, Mick.
Old 26th May 2009, 1:44 pm   #9
Psimonics
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again to everyone for your replies.

I'm just wondering, is any one of these options preferable in terms of battery life or performance?

Simon
Old 26th May 2009, 5:19 pm   #10
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Geof, what kind of battery life do you get out of the Uniross 9V?

Cheers all,
Simon
Hello Simon

The Uniross PP3 is a 200mA/H and gives several weeks operational time from one charge, it came fully charged to be used as a standard battery which then can be recharged. I have seen Uniross PP3's with slightly different milli Amp Hour ratings but this is the largest.
Geof
Old 27th May 2009, 6:03 am   #11
Psimonics
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Geof

The rechargeable 9V I was looking at is 400ma/h and can be found by following this link:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2373

Simon
Old 27th May 2009, 9:14 am   #12
Psimonics
Retired Dormant Member

I have another question regarding a rechargeable 9V lithium battery - it says in the spec. that the nominal voltage is only 7.4V. Could this cause any problems with the unit?

Regards,
Simon
Old 27th May 2009, 10:05 am   #13
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

The lithium batteries will work, though they are quite powerful so precautions should be taken to make sure they can't short circuit. The terminal voltage is lower than the Uniross that do actually go to over 9 Volts when charged. I make the connection by taping the PP3 connector wires around the PP9 connector after making sure the polarity is correct (the radio will be very badly damaged if this is wrong). The Uniross are cheaper.

Geof
Old 27th May 2009, 3:02 pm   #14
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

I have a Roberts R717 and I've used an adapted PP9 as discussed above. Mine was an old "GP" brand battery and the case is plastic and in two parts. I opened it up, removed the old cells and have installed a Mapling 6x AA carrier inside wired to the terminals at the top of the case. It all fits nicely and the set of Duracell AA's in the pack must be at least three years old and still work fine for 30 mins every time I have a nice long soak in the bath to Radio 4!

Hope this helps
Old 27th May 2009, 3:45 pm   #15
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
I have another question regarding a rechargeable 9V lithium battery - it says in the spec. that the nominal voltage is only 7.4V. Could this cause any problems with the unit?

Regards,
Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytrev View Post
It all fits nicely and the set of Duracell AA's in the pack must be at least three years old and still work fine for 30 mins every time I have a nice long soak in the bath to Radio 4!

Hope this helps
The radio should work down to 7.4 Volts and the terminal voltage is usually higher than the nominal specified.

Duracells do go on and on, though I have found the Ultra types can leak, probably due to the inbuilt test function, the Plus types are better in this respect. I have just removed a couple of gooey Ultras from my Casio digital clock. The Duracell Pro range can now be brought privately and I have fitted these, and they would also be suitable for making the battery box, being the same as the Plus.

Geof
Old 27th May 2009, 5:19 pm   #16
Psimonics
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you so much for your replies.

This evening I rigged up a battery box and tried a 9V manganese battery that my wife picked up today.

I tried the sound on that battery and then on mains connected 9V power supply. The sound when running on the power supply is absolutely crystal clear - on the battery there's a small but noticeable amount of distortion. Would this be due to a difference in voltage?

Trickytrev, how is the sound on your R717 with the Duracell AAs? (not that we have the copper colour top variety over here). I quite fancy having a go at rebuilding a PP9.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 27th May 2009, 8:47 pm   #17
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Hi Simon,

I'd lost my original power supply for the radio years ago, so built a small regulated 9V supply for it. To be honest, sound is exactly the same on both. With the duracell AA's the sound is clear and un distorted, even at loud volumes.

I would say though that the only failing of the R717 (or at least mine) is a lack of bass. Not quite as meaty as the older Roberts sets!

I've added two pictures of my home made pack if that helps? Incidentally, I lied! After opening the set I remembered that it was actually an old EveryReady pack. Use by marking is 2007, so I guess it was bought around 2002?

Cheers,

Trevor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001.JPG
Views:	780
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	25848   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG
Views:	1665
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	25849  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 28th May 2009 at 9:27 am. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
Closed Thread