UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2009, 6:52 pm   #1
dicky96
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips 170A radio - general question

Hi guys,

I've not been here for ages but this week I spotted a Philips 170A18 radio coming up in an house clearance auction, it's very clean cosmetically and it's surprisingly heavy!

All looks intact inside, and this looks to be a rather old set by the size of the valves for one thing, and it's general styling.

Could anyone give me an idea of the age of this set and whether it would be an interesting project to work on? Assuming I can get hold of it on the cheap that is lol

best regards
dicky
Old 25th May 2009, 7:06 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 170A radio - general question

The 170A came out in 1946. The manual is available up top there.

Quite and interesting and reliable set, and well capable of working today. Valves rarely go, it's capacitors that do. If you get it, don't just plug it in, do some checks first. This is a rewarding hobby though.

If you want to restore it, start here:

http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...ion/index.html

and have a read.

We're all here to help, so you aren't on your own.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 25th May 2009, 7:22 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

I restored one of these and they are common (not valuable) but a good solidly built set. Check it has the proper mains connector which is attached to the back panel. Unless you are very lucky the EM34 is likely to be dead. The philips wierdness in this model is wet electrolytics which will probably need replacing as they will have dried out, beehive trimmers which are very good, and an unreliable output transformer with crazy feedback arrangement...Peter
Old 25th May 2009, 11:14 pm   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

If memory serves me right - it was a long time ago - isn't there a large wirewound resistor - pale orange in colour; 1k5 ohms? - about the centre of the chassis (underneath) that tends to go O/C?

Al. / Skywave.
Old 26th May 2009, 2:55 pm   #5
dicky96
Retired Dormant Member

OK well it cost me a tenner so I thought I'd go for it it. Will have a good prope look at it later and see what condition it's in

best regards
dicky
Old 26th May 2009, 4:24 pm   #6
yestertech
Nonode

Good luck with the Philips - it is an excellent performer due to the additional RF stage and works very well on SW using only the internal plate aerial.
I have refurbished a few of these and still have 2 more here on the ROUNTUIT pile. They are in quite plentiful supply ( at the moment at least ! ) due to the relatively high numbers made.
The audio quality is excellent.

Andy
Old 26th May 2009, 7:23 pm   #7
telstar
Octode

Hi Dicky. Good luck with your Philips radio.There is also a wood cabinet version with the Mullard badge on it, called MAS281. This was introduced in 1947, but was built by Philips. It is a bit larger than the 170A radio, but not so easily obtainable.
Regards
Mike
Closed Thread