UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2007, 5:01 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default BVWS Trader CDROMs - problems?

In a recent forum post a member has said he can't read his original Trader CDROM. The 1-800 one. ISTR this CDROM had major pressing problems and we didn't have many spares. I was also approached at Harpenden by a member who's 1-800 CDROM was causing problems.

Is this a widespread problem? Do we need to do anything about it?

Unofficially I promised the member I spoke to that I'd copy mine on to a CDR and swap it for his faulty one. I know that strictly speaking this is breaching copyright but in the circumstances it seems reasonable.
Old 4th Oct 2007, 5:10 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: BVWS Trader CDROMs - problems?

A significant number in the batch of 1-800 CDs were faulty. Some seemed to be useless from day one, others seem to fail over time.

Note that there is a minor problem (I can't remember exactly what) with one or two of the items on the initial menu not working with Windows 2000 and XP, as the CD predates this (created on Windows 98). This does not indicate a faulty CD, and can be worked around by opening the relevant file manually. The second and later CDs are fine, though I don't know whether any of them work with Vista.

There are no more stocks of the original 1-800 CDs, and we have been supplying CD-R copies for a while (I have made 200 copies for this purpose so far). These do not have the bug mentioned above.

I recently compiled the first four CD-ROMs onto a DVD-ROM as we are running out of some others too (notably 801-1600). The DVD-ROM would then be issued to new members instead of the four CDs. I don't know whether that has actually been pressed yet though, or whether we are still using up stocks of CDs.

I think if someone has a faulty original CD-ROM then also having a working copy on CD-R is fine. The CD-R is in effect a backup copy which is being used because the original is faulty (the fact that someone else made the copy is irrelevant). It would only become a breach of copyright issue if copies were distributed to those who were not supposed to have them (people who have not been BVWS members since it was released and who the committee have not authorised to have a copy).

I should add that it is only the data/publication CD-ROMs (in the form of a DVD-ROM) that the BVWS will be continuing to supply to new members and will get further copies pressed as required. The various film DVDs will only be supplied until stocks are exhausted.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th Oct 2007, 5:32 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the clarification. DOes this mean that any member with a problem can approach the BVWS (presumably the membership secretary) for a new copy?
Old 4th Oct 2007, 5:45 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Yes, members should contact the membership secretary about any problems with faulty CDs etc. You may be required to send the faulty ones back before replacements are sent (to avoid people getting extra copies for inappropriate distribution).

Paul Stenning
Old 4th Oct 2007, 8:46 pm   #5
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I had a faulty one when new i think . I will try to remember to check them again . I do find them difficult to navigate ..unless thats a problem as well?
Old 5th Oct 2007, 5:56 pm   #6
Tom_I
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
I do find them difficult to navigate ..unless thats a problem as well?
Chipp, have you set up your Acrobat reader to always open documents in new windows? It makes navigation much easier. It tells you how to do it on the first and second CD Roms. Insert the CD, then click the box marked "View the Acrobat.txt file". It's in the section near the beginning called "Opening documents in new window".

Cheers

Tom
Old 6th Oct 2007, 12:39 am   #7
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

mm ..not sure about that . i havnt tried it in ages , and have a new"modern " computer now . so maybe its time i tried them again
Old 6th Oct 2007, 10:01 am   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The default in Acrobat is to not open in a new window, so if it is a new PC or Acrobat installation it won't be set that way.

Paul Stenning
Old 15th Oct 2007, 10:02 pm   #9
Rejectostat
Hexode

Its funny that ppppenguin posted this recently, because my 1-800 disk has just stopped working too on my home PC. I had never had any problems with it previously. I took it to work and tried it on two other PC's and in both cases the CD automatically booted to the opening menu, but did not load the associated Acrobat software. Certainly on my home PC I have not downloaded any updates to Acrobat, it just suddenly stopped on all the usual PC's I use.
Old 15th Oct 2007, 10:09 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Just in case anyone hasn't, it's worth copying the "PDF" folder on disks like this to your hard drive(s). Not only does this protect you if the CD deteriorates, but it makes accessing things a lot quicker and queiter too.

I've done this with Paul Stenning's CD-ROMs too.

N.
Old 16th Oct 2007, 10:58 pm   #11
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I agree. With the size of modern hard disks the few GB that my CDs and the BVWS CDs take up is irrelevant, yet it is much more useful having them all to hand without having to keep loading and unloading them. I keep them on our file server in a share that our normal logins only have read-only access to.

Because of the issues with the BVWS 1-800 CD-ROM I urge everyone to make a backup copy or two onto CD-R while yours is still working.

Paul Stenning
Old 17th Oct 2007, 10:24 am   #12
Rejectostat
Hexode

I wasn't sure what the copyright issues were relating to personal back-ups of the BVWS Trader sheets so didn't make clear the following in my original posting:

As it happens the disk I have at work is a personal back-up copy of the 1-800 sheet disk made a couple of years ago, yet it displayed exactly the same problem with associating the Acrobat program as my original disk on my home machine.
Old 17th Oct 2007, 11:59 am   #13
Paul Stenning
Administrator

This may be the bug mentioned in post #2 then. Can you open the main index PDF file directly (not from the initial menu)?

Paul Stenning
Old 17th Oct 2007, 3:21 pm   #14
newlite4
Octode

I was having these problems when the PC here at work was upgraded to XP a few years ago. I solved it by (after inserting CD) clicking START then MY COMPUTER right click on BVWS_ERT1(E) (cd drive) click OPEN then double click on TRADER ADOBE ACROBAT 7.0 DOCUMENT shortcut. It seems OK for now, I wonder if they will work with future upgrades.
Neil
Old 17th Oct 2007, 6:30 pm   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

It's always worked fine on XP for me.

N.
Old 18th Oct 2007, 10:06 am   #16
Rejectostat
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Can you open the main index PDF file directly (not from the initial menu)?
The three machines I tried are as follows:

Home machine..Windows XP................Acrobat 6.0....Can open individual files from File/Open etc
Work # 1.........Windows XP................Acrobat 7.09..Not tried accessing files directly yet
Work # 2.........Windows 2000 Prof.......Acrobat 8.0....Can open individual files from File/Open etc

At first I thought it might be because the two work machines have quite recent versions of Acrobat, but I haven't upgraded the home copy of Acrobat since I have had my PC unless the program has downloaded some updates itself.
Old 18th Oct 2007, 10:12 am   #17
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The files should open fine with Acrobat 5 and later, and probably a bit earlier too (it was probably created with either 3 or 4). I like Acrobat 5 and still use the full version for most things even though I have version 7 too.

Paul Stenning
Old 18th Oct 2007, 10:24 am   #18
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I've always just opened the sheet I want directly from Windows Explorer. I usually use the Foxit 2.0 reader (less bloated than Acrobat 7) and it works fine. I just tried opening the menu from the autostart and it didn't work but I don't care. It would only matter if the menu was hotlinked to the individual sheets.
Closed Thread