UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2020, 4:00 pm   #1
BrianAllen
Heptode

Default Cosmetic changes Philips N4308

I have a couple of queries regarding the cosmetic changes made to my N4308/55 and N4308/85 decks during the production years and am hoping that someone may know of a website that lists the history of Philips N4307/N4308 tape recorders?

Maarten in The Netherlands has been very helpful in assisting me in identifying the manufacturing dates but rather than "pester" him for further information, I think it best to go out and do my own research.

Thank you.
Old 26th Jan 2020, 4:44 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Cosmetic changes Philips N4308

I don't know of a website, but the only significant change to the cosmetic presentation parts to the N4308 was in the final period of production, when the cabinet and control knobs were substantially changed. See the first page here:

https://freeservicemanuals.info/en/s...None/RECORDER/

It list the presentation parts changes in N4308/85 versions and there is a photo.
Old 26th Jan 2020, 5:36 pm   #3
BrianAllen
Heptode

Default Re: Cosmetic changes Philips N4308

Thank you.

It isn't essential that I have this information but just wanted to check that I have the correct lid for my 4308/55 as the logo on the front of the lid has 4308 and not N4308, also the same (4308) on the heads cover.

Anyway, with your help (the flywheel) , I have now managed to save two Philips tape decks for the nation!! Just a little soldering job and make up some clutches and a pause brake for the 4308/85.

Such a satisfying and interesting hobby; shame that I only discovered in later life. Oh well, better now than never.
Closed Thread