UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2019, 10:46 pm   #1
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Ferguson Videostar 3V48 VCR head problems

I'm led to believe nearly all of these particular models suffered with the same issue as the one I have. The copper rings on the bottom half of the drum assembly have corroded and worn away.

Has anyone managed to resolve this? Guessing that I dont stand much of a chance of finding a replacement set of heads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_185306.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	180549   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_185313.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	180550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson-Videostar-Cassette-Recorder-Model-No-3V48.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	180551  
Old 29th Mar 2019, 3:57 pm   #2
Andy Doz
Hexode

Default Re: Ferguson Videostar 3V48 VCR head problems

Were's the wear? Looks like the normal rotary transformer windings from where I'm sat ...
Old 29th Mar 2019, 4:33 pm   #3
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

2nd ring in from the outside. On the bottom drum the wire has actually come away and creased, causing the lip that the top drum is catching on.
Old 29th Mar 2019, 10:01 pm   #4
Red to black
Nonode

Never heard of this issue myself either?
the rotary windings never/cannot touch normally anyway, never had any problems on these, nor any other machine come to that, new one on me
Old 29th Mar 2019, 10:23 pm   #5
jayceebee
Heptode

Me neither, only lower drums I ever changed were due to either wear or seized/noisy bearings. If you're talking about the the winding that appears to be a single loop of tinned copper, as a test try pushing some small bits of blu-tack into the slot so the wire is not protruding above the wall sides so it doesn't catch on the rotating upper drum. Reassemble and give it a try. Nothing to loose.

Last edited by jayceebee; 29th Mar 2019 at 10:31 pm.
Old 29th Mar 2019, 10:45 pm   #6
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
Never heard of this issue myself either?
the rotary windings never/cannot touch normally anyway
Ah, but they can of they come unglued! The windings in all rotary transformers are only held in the grove by glue.

When I used to service timelapse VCR's, there was one model (Panasonic I think) that suffered regularly from this problem. The glue would fail, the windings would lift and rub against the upper set of windings. You could hear a ticking noise as the upper drum rotated.

Replacing head drum bearings was also a standard procedure as they had a hard life rotating 24hrs a day for years on end. Timelapse really did push VCR mechanics to the limit and beyond. Some makes coped very much better than others! The Mitsubishi machines were particularly good.

All the best
Nick

Last edited by 1100 man; 29th Mar 2019 at 10:52 pm.
Old 29th Mar 2019, 11:03 pm   #7
jayceebee
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
Ah, but they can of they come unglued! The windings in all rotary transformers are only held in the grove by glue.

When I used to service timelapse VCR's, there was one model (Panasonic I think) that suffered regularly from this problem. The glue would fail
I wonder if it was the same glue they used to stick the felt onto the back tension band on the NV2000
Old 29th Mar 2019, 11:26 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

I had this exact issue in the late 90s with that model. I had stored it for about a year, working, then when I got it out again and tried to use it there was noise and terrible picture interference. You could hear the scraping noise from within the drum. Ended up scrapping it when I moved house.
Old 30th Mar 2019, 11:44 am   #9
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I think they failed due to head cleaning solvent getting in there - could be IPA or something in one of those wet cleaners - never found out.
Old 30th Mar 2019, 5:46 pm   #10
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Il need to carefully reshape the wire so that it's perfectly round before attempting to stick in place. As mentioned above it does appear to be the glue that's failed.

The assembly of the heads are overly complicated on this machine, compared to others.

Most machines simply removing the brass nut at the bottom of the spindle would allow you to withdraw the upper drum complete in chassis. But no not this one.
Old 31st Mar 2019, 9:59 pm   #11
jayceebee
Heptode

The upper drum containing the heads on this machine are not difficult to remove at all, there is no need to dismantle the rotary transformer section. All that needs to be done is to unsolder the leads from the tags, remove the two screws then lift of the upper drum. If it doesn't come off easily then a head puller may be required or just a gentle bit of heat from a hairdryer might help.

Reassembly is again fairly straightforward but the similar head fitted to it's big brother, the six head 3V43 with it's twelve wires can be tricky. Cutting a narrow drinking straw and inserting the wires into short pieces of it can help here.

John.
Old 1st Apr 2019, 8:28 pm   #12
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

I had to separate the motor part to gain access to the contacts. Simply removing the top half of the heads as you suggest doesn't allow access to the area in question.
Old 7th May 2019, 12:00 am   #13
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Pleased to say this machine is now fully working. I used good old loctite to glue the windings back in place. I did however have to add one extra washer to take up the gap between the lower and upper drum halves. Upon testing the machine displays perfectly with the tracking set dead centre.

I also had to strip the idler assembly and treat the rubber tyres with rubber renue. Seems parts for this particular deck are impossible to find online.

Good sound and picture, smooth and quiet operation from the deck too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190506-230314_Video Player.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	182610  
Closed Thread