UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 26th Nov 2023, 2:44 am   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Radiodays Woody Allen

This excellent film is on TPTV at 3-10pm today. Rarely shown [acccording to the Radio Times] although, in fact, it has been shown a number of times [sans adverts] on the BBC. Very funny and revealing about the Industry. This week's Footage Detectives follows and i know my wife will be very interested in 1960's Cruises! After that there is the very interesting series, "Tell me Another" which was only ever shown on Southern TV, so worth a catch up for those in the North! Millicent Martin, Roy Hudd, Beryl Reid et al.

Dave W
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2023, 9:00 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Radiodays Woody Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
After that there is the very interesting series, "Tell me Another" which was only ever shown on Southern TV, so worth a catch up for those in the North! Millicent Martin, Roy Hudd, Beryl Reid et al.

Dave W
I know TPTV are fond of putting their warning notice before many an inoffensive programme, but that particular episode of "Tell me Another" really did have " language and attitudes which reflect the time it was made".

I almost expected a Jonnie Hamp involvement, and a Granada TV end-cap, rather than Southern.
Graham G3ZVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2023, 10:14 am   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Radiodays Woody Allen

I don't think TPTV will have had much choice in terms of their License Graham In fact I think they were in some difficulty when they first started which seemed a bit ironic to me as, otherwise this is one of the most polite and innocuous broadcasters around. I thought they were under attack from those who felt threatened and then began to show older films themselves! Some of the material is "of it's time" [as with Sky Arts vintage items eg Tales of the Unexpected] but there is always a real or possible perceived "offence" for broadcasters to navigate around. Even the Beeb's invaluable Desert Island Discs Archive was edited for "content" when digitised. I'm glad I've got my own copies on C90 cassettes. I think it was much better when they used to play the whole music track as well.

"Tell Me Another" is not the most dynamic or memorable of productions but it's good to see footage of people like George Melly/Roy Hudd/Millicent Martin and Beryl Reid in conversation and it's not all humour. Best saved from the skip I think. I've never forgotten Millicent's tribute song on TW3 when Kennedy was assassinated. Beryl Reid was amazing in Smiley's People-miles away from her very basic but successfull Lancashire comedy act. She was wasted with that in a way! Since living in the South as well and long before TPTV I've come across a lot of material unknown or never seen in the North. Some on other peoples VHS tapes that I've salvaged!

Yes you're right about the echoes of Johnny Hamp and Granada. He was a great asset to the Company with a better grasp of things than many others in TV. In the invaluable 1965 Dylan Doc [Don't Look Back] you can see Tito Burns, in London, trying to negotiate with Mr Hamp [re Dylan's fee for a possible TV appearance]. Dylan's manager, the formidable "Albert The Bear" Grossmann takes over but it goes to the BBC in the end. Then they broadcast and wipe it! I hope you enjoyed Radio Days. It's a real comedy classic but I suspect, again, notable for it's historical insights. The German Submarine may be based on a true incident-nobody really knows!

Dave W

On the stormy coast-no deck chairs!

Last edited by dave walsh; 27th Nov 2023 at 10:37 am.
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote