UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2023, 5:42 pm   #1
Beobloke
Heptode

Default JW Electronics UFO detector?

This rather unusual item popped up in my eBay feed recently under "things you might also like". It's a JW Electronics UFO Detector and, without straying into discussions of little green men and their existence (or not), I was wondering if any of you knew anything about it and how it is supposed to work? There seems to be nothing about it on the interweb and I'm just curious!

If all else fails, the seller is a friend of a friend, so I might have to make him a silly offer if it doesn't sell, just to have a poke round inside it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UFO Detector_1.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	288534   Click image for larger version

Name:	UFO Detector_2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	288535  
Old 21st Nov 2023, 5:59 pm   #2
spamfritter
Pentode

Default Re: JW Electronics UFO detector?

Interesting ! JW electronics Ltd only got wound up about 2 years ago but very little information. Amazon sell a "UFO" detector of some sort.
Old 21st Nov 2023, 7:11 pm   #3
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Fascinating! Thought I'd seen all the UFO detectors out there - and over the decades there have been plenty of published designs and "functioning" devices for sale...!

They usually work on the theory that UFOs (whatever they are, and if real probably not alien) have their own magnetic field (or locally influence the earth's), and it is this that they detect.

I think that assumption has come from the accumulated evidence that in some close encounters petrol engines stall, but diesel engines don't. (Yes, really - apparently!)

The Amazon UFO detectors use a Hall effect compass module to trigger an alarm - but I guess that'll usually be from a geomagnetic storm or passing large steel terrestrial lorry!

It's not really a vintage tech subject, and I'm not convinced of any of it - despite the US military recently admitting there is something to the phenomenon after decades of denial.

Anyway, there is a relevant *vintage* electronics UFO detector circuit published in the UK magazine FSR, 1968. There is an obvious error which was corrected some months later as indicated by Nick in the comments.

Article and comments:

https://forteana-blog.blogspot.com/2...-detector.html

An interesting area of pseudo-science - but you never know...
Old 22nd Nov 2023, 10:17 am   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT View Post

I think that assumption has come from the accumulated evidence that in some close encounters petrol engines stall, but diesel engines don't. (Yes, really - apparently!)
That was most certainly the case with some Rovers and Peugeots when they were driving up the B5305 past Skelton Transmitting Station and we were putting out 17MHz back in the 1990s!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 22nd Nov 2023, 12:29 pm   #5
Cobaltblue

As this has drifted onto Automotive the tread is going to be closed which is a shame for the original OP.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread