UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2011, 11:07 am   #1
clueslesswoman
Retired Dormant Member

Question Looking for information about Decca SRG899

Hi there, this is my first post on this site and was wondering if there was anyone here that could help.

I have come into possession of a Decca SRG 899. I have no knowledge of this piece of equipment and the internet does not seem to have turned up much either. Is there anybody who can give me any information about it ie, are they a sought after item, do collectors want them or is it best just to advertise locally? The radio and record player seem in good working order, the wood is not bad; a few knocks on the corners but nothing that couldn't be repaired.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Old 20th Aug 2011, 3:05 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Looking for information about Decca srg 899

Hi, and welcome.
Unfortunately, whilst a lot of people are interested in radiograms, most do not have room for them, (me included!). If you look at the "sticky" at the start of this section, you will see that in general, radiograms are worth very little, unfortunately. If one has not been used for some time, it will need various electrical items checking and probably replacing, and then of course there is the problem of transport.
This is not to say that someone, somewhere won't welcome it with open arms, but where value is concerned, I'm afraid it's a case of being worth only what someone is prepared to pay for it. I'm pretty sure that most charity shops won't take them nowadays, for Health and Safety reasons, so my advice would be to advertise it locally, and see what happens. My personal valuation would be around the £25-30 mark, but others may differ. You may find that even at this price there are no takers, so be prepared to lower the price, or even give it away. If you can state a definite price, you could offer it on the "Wanted" section of this forum. Hope this helps.

Barry
Old 20th Aug 2011, 3:54 pm   #3
Records
Hexode

Default Re: Looking for information about Decca srg 899

I agree with what's been said. I'm a big fan of radiograms; I have 2 and I'm not allowed to have any more because of the space they take up, I agree with my wife on this .

I think the price quoted to you is fair and what you could expect, some of the older grams from the 1940s command more money.
Here in Canada I see a lot of radiograms offered for sale at ridiculous prices and within a week they are either still there or offered free.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 20th Aug 2011 at 4:38 pm. Reason: Various minor typos corrected.
Old 20th Aug 2011, 4:49 pm   #4
clueslesswoman
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Looking for information about Decca srg 899

Thank you very much for your help. I think I may advertise locally to see what the market for this sort of thing is here.

Once again thanks!
Old 17th Apr 2012, 1:28 pm   #5
clueslesswoman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Decca SRG 899

Hi there, I posted on here some time ago seeking information about the above item, I have still been unsuccessful in obtaining much information about it, I am keen to sell the player and wondered if anyone would be able to have a look and tell me how I would be best going about it or whether anyone would be interested, apologies if this has been posted in the wrong place, Thanks for looking. Any help would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0868.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	65239  
Old 17th Apr 2012, 1:40 pm   #6
Station X

Default Re: Looking for information about Decca SRG899

I think you'll be lucky to give it away. There's one on Benelux eBay at the moment and it hasn't attracted a single bid.

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/270949047932

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=26411

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Apr 2012, 1:57 pm   #7
clueslesswoman
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for your help. As thought, it may be a freebie for someone unless I am lucky.

Thanks once again.
Old 17th Apr 2012, 5:05 pm   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

It's sad but true; I totally agree with what others have said.

Both of mine cost more than a small car when they were new, but the owners could only give them away.

Houses are getting so small now that there's no call for large items of furniture.

It's a great shame if they end up being scrapped or broken up for parts.
Old 17th Apr 2012, 7:14 pm   #9
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Decca SRG 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueslesswoman View Post
I have still been unsuccessful in obtaining much information about it, I am keen to sell the player and wondered if anyone would be able to have a look and tell me how I would be best going about it
What information do you need? It's a pretty standard radiogram from the early 1970s. Transistorised, so therefore of very limited interest, fitted with a BSR record deck. Cabinet in teak veneered chipboard. Sorry to sound brutal, but I suggest an advert in your local paper saying "Free to good home", and if you have no joy, be prepared to dump it. If you look on eBay, you will find many similar machines every week. Put a couple on "watch", and at the end of the auction, it's a fair bet that the vendor has either not attracted a bid, or it has been relisted at a far lower price. Many people believe that because radiograms are large pieces of furniture that produce music, they are valuable. Alas, the reverse is true. Unless the machine is of exceptional quality, or a very early and rare model, they are worth practically nothing.

Barry
Old 17th Apr 2012, 10:52 pm   #10
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have to agree with previous posts, as radiograms go, the later transistor jobs are pretty worthless, the only grams that seem to desirable are the likes of RGD, Dynatron & Decca, unfortunately these lovely old machines are only bought to strip them of their amplifiers

Mark
Old 18th Apr 2012, 8:52 pm   #11
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
the only grams that seem to desirable are the likes of RGD, Dynatron & Decca, unfortunately these lovely old machines are only bought to strip them of their amplifiers
Just to avoid any confusion, the Decca radiograms Mark has mentioned above are top quality 1940s and 50s models, with valve amplifiers, not the 1970s transistorised ones!

Barry
Old 18th Apr 2012, 9:16 pm   #12
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes. There has to be some chance that a local advert would reach someone equipping a 1970s room or house, or who grew up with this particular model, who might be only too happy to pay something in the £20 - £50 range for this one. Otherwise, just have to hope it finds a good home with somebody. Can't personally understand why more people don't like radiograms, but the 12 or so I have are about as many as I can accomodate

Paul
Closed Thread