UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2017, 11:14 am   #21
Voxophone
Hexode

Default Re: Ekco A22 capacitor value

I unsoldered the old mains wiring last night and the heat from the iron seems to have brought the switch partly to life as I can now get a reading. Hopefully Merlinmaxwell‘s suggestion will clear it up entirely.

I need to restring the dial cord as it was snapped as found. However there only appears to be one spring on the drive wheel. Does anyone know where I could find a replacement? I have a box of springs salvaged from various junk but none of them are a good match for this.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 12:27 pm   #22
David G4EBT
Dekatron

As to the missing dial cord spring, You might find something suitable in those packs of assorted springs which are widely sold. They do have compression springs which aren't any use in your situation, but quite a lot of tension springs. You may find one of the right diameter and tension, but may have to shorten it to the desired length. These sort of packs for example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-150pc-...-/400888657214

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200pc-Spri...-/151294121950

Alternatively, Halfords sell spring selection boxes (at a higher price) so if you have a branch nearby, you could pop in with your spring to see how it compares to their stock.

Good luck with it.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 1:10 pm   #23
Herald1360
Dekatron

Just attack an old retractable ballpoint and bend up the outside loops of a suitable length of its spring.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 15th May 2021, 6:28 pm   #24
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Ekco A22 C30/C24

The Ekco A22 service sheet calls it C30 with a value of 0.05uF. Trader Service Sheet no. 768 calls it C24, also with a value of 0.05uF. It seems some A22s have this value installed, but others have 0.005uF.

I have now worked on or examined five A22s and all have used 0.005uF. The higher value seems more appropriate, but I found on strong signals (i.e. my pantry AM tx) as the receiver's volume is turned up the sets start motorboating!

I stared a thread about this some time ago, although I was barking up the wrong tree! During the restoration of another A22 I decided to reduce the value to 0.005uF and the motorboating stops completely. There is no difference in audio quality, even below 100 Hz.

It is unlikely many users would have such a strong signal to cause this problem, but my pantry tx is quite beefy and puts out a really strong signal to swamp out all the other crud on MW now.

Great to fix something that has been niggling me for a couple of years!

For some reason Ekco changed the value but didn't update the documentation. Maybe listeners living close to a transmitter had problems. We'll never know...

Ian

Last edited by Station X; 15th May 2021 at 6:53 pm. Reason: Threads merged.
Closed Thread