UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 3rd May 2021, 12:40 pm   #1
terrybull
Octode

Default Windows 95 floppy disc set

Has anyone a windows 95 floppy disc set tucked away. Iíd like to buy or even borrow a set to get my ancient laptop up and running.
Also any blank floppy discs not needed would be gratefully received, costs covered naturally. I mean the hard plastic floppies not the earlier floppy floppies.
Incidentally I never knew that windows 98 was apparently available on a floppy disc set.
Many thanks.
terrybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2021, 1:31 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Windows 95 floppy disc set

I have got a 3.1 floppy disk set with manual laying about in my archive.
Refugee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2021, 2:10 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Do you specifically want the floppy disc set (23 3Ĺ” discs) or would a CD-ROM be a suitable substitute? According to my inventory, I have a CD-ROM for W95 with USB support or a non-original one for W95 OSR2 which you are welcome to borrow, and which would be rather cheaper to post than the 23 floppies.

No, I never knew that W98 was available on floppies either. I dread to think how many of them are required. I am, however, pretty sure W95 was never distributed on 5ľ” discs, but I don't know about 3.1 - certainly, I only have it on 3Ĺ” discs.
Old 3rd May 2021, 2:17 pm   #4
frankmcvey
Heptode

Hi, David

No Win disks, but I have around 30 x 3 1/2" floppies lying about - you're welcome to them for the cost of postage. PM me if you still want them.

Cheers,

Frank
frankmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2021, 3:18 pm   #5
terrybull
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Do you specifically want the floppy disc set (23 3Ĺ” discs) or would a CD-ROM be a suitable substitute? According to my inventory, I have a CD-ROM for W95 with USB support or a non-original one for W95 OSR2 which you are welcome to borrow, and which would be rather cheaper to post than the 23 floppies.

No, I never knew that W98 was available on floppies either. I dread to think how many of them are required. I am, however, pretty sure W95 was never distributed on 5ľ” discs, but I don't know about 3.1 - certainly, I only have it on 3Ĺ” discs.
Thanks Dave but it has to be a floppy set. I have quite a lot of software on both CD and floppies including 95 on CD, but it has to be a floppy set. I borrowed 2 versions of Win 95 floppy sets, one about 16 disks and another 22 + start disc but they were returned and the lender has long since passed away. I have a few versions of DOS and Win 3.
I believe Windows 98 was about 33 floppies. I thought it would be more. I've a few windows programs, Word for sure, that is packaged with both the large floppy floppies and the smaller 'hard' floppies.
Old 3rd May 2021, 5:53 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybull View Post
I borrowed 2 versions of Win 95 floppy sets, one about 16 disks and another 22 + start disc but they were returned and the lender has long since passed away.
The latter is presumably the same as the set I have. If you are interested in borrowing them, I will check out what they weigh and how much it would cost to send them.
Old 3rd May 2021, 7:07 pm   #7
dglcomp
Heptode

Winworldpc.com have the disks which can be created with omniflop if you have a drive and disks.
https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-95/rtm
You'll need a 7zip compatible extraction tool (like 7zip ) to extract the files.
dglcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2021, 7:16 pm   #8
Goldie99
Heptode

I still have the 15x blank floppies listed in this thread if they're any use to you - all new, unused, foc + p&p

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=173872
Goldie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2021, 7:59 pm   #9
terrybull
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie99 View Post
I still have the 15x blank floppies listed in this thread if they're any use to you - all new, unused, foc + p&p

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=173872
PM sent Simon.
Old 3rd May 2021, 8:04 pm   #10
terrybull
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglcomp View Post
Winworldpc.com have the disks which can be created with omniflop if you have a drive and disks.
https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-95/rtm
You'll need a 7zip compatible extraction tool (like 7zip ) to extract the files.
Thanks. I only have a few discs at the moment but it looks like due to this great forum I will be acquiring more. I have written these discs years ago, is it about 1.6mb, but forgotten how I did it. If I donít find some here it might come to that.
Thanks for pointing this out.
Itís usually a learn curve for new operating systems but Iím on a re-learning curve. Mind you itís 25 years ago.
Old 4th May 2021, 8:35 am   #11
G6ONEDave
Heptode

If it's any help I think that I've got an unused Windows 95 installation CD/DVD (still in wraps), although it will take a little finding, as it's in a for disposal pile at present.

Dave
Old 4th May 2021, 10:51 am   #12
terrybull
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
If it's any help I think that I've got an unused Windows 95 installation CD/DVD (still in wraps), although it will take a little finding, as it's in a for disposal pile at present.

Dave
Thanks for the offer Dave but I have a CD copy already.
Old 5th May 2021, 6:50 am   #13
llama
Octode

Something to try: install Interlink on the target PC and Interserver on another PC (one with a CD drive). Install W95 on the target by putting the CD in the other PC. Use a parallel or serial "laplink" cable between the two.

When I used to rustle-up old XTs I used that method - typically upgrading DOS 3 to DOS 6.22 and then Win3.0 (3.1 wouldn't normally go in due to its requirement for a smidgen of extended RAM).

Apart from that, I'll have a look for a '95 install set of floppies later today.
Graham
Old 6th May 2021, 8:49 am   #14
llama
Octode

I've not been able to find w95 floppies. I have a huge number of them in various places so it's likely they would turn up eventually.

The attached picture shows a folder I've found on this PC's hard drive - it suggests I've had the required floppies at some stage. If I could get this data to you, maybe you could burn your own install-set.
Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W95directory.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	233402  
Old 6th May 2021, 10:43 am   #15
electronicskip
Octode

If you get stuck, there are a couple of sets of Windows 95 floppy discs for sale on ebay.
(no relation to sellers)
Old 10th May 2021, 12:14 am   #16
whyperion
Hexode

Installing W95 from Diskette tended to take a bit too long for me. I used to - if HDD capacity allowed create 3 partitions. 1 for boot and programs , 1 for data and a small partition for o/s set up. I created two directories DOSSET for at least one version of dos and WIN9XSET for windows of whichever flavour needed. Once I had enough of primary partition formatted with system files it was easier to use COPY command to copy over the diskette contents to the 3rd partition drive, ('E' normally), and then run the install pointing to that, it allowed me to make tea etc while installing from CAB etc files without having to change the diskettes just at the most annoying times, and generally installed faster even with the copying time. Also had a set of files I could copy over networks and to other hard drives and install from their. though I do note the problem with laptops and less capacity. It also meant any HDD problems or needing additional bits or changing the install flavour was easier to search the relevant DISK1 / DISK 2 etc subfolders. A lot of the WIN95 DISKETTE Install I think was multi language help and keyboard etc items. that were not needed for a basic UK English Installation.
whyperion is offline   Reply With Quote