UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2016, 1:04 am   #1
britishrocket
Retired Dormant Member

Default Chinese made Insulation Testers

Hello,

This is a test gear question. Not sure which bit of the forum it belongs in so put it here.

I'm very familiar with insulation Testers from using them in my job for years, but have never owned one. You can pay a fortune for a megger so as I wouldn't use it that often was looking at the less expensive (probably Chinese made) ones that are ubiquitous on Amazon etc.

Anyone have any experiences with them?

Carl.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 2:04 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Chinese made Insulation Testers

I'd think that as with all the other Far East test equipment they'll be OK within their limitations. You'll get what you pay for.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 2:27 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I agree with Bill. I've no experience of insulation testers specifically, but other cheap Chinese test gear I've used has been extremely good value and perfectly adequate for occasional use. The construction quality is unlikely to satisfy a professional though.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 2:51 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

As I also only need occasional use I settled for an old magneto E&V duplex 500V one- you might have higher voltage/precision requirements, but the older ones (in working condition) aren't going for very much money. Mine was £6 incl. postage.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 3:06 pm   #5
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I have one which I've found very useful for testing capacitors for leakage - it can test at 250v, 500v and 1000v.

Andy
Old 16th Nov 2016, 4:08 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I bought an immaculate ex-MoD Megger Major (Continuity, 150, 250, 500, 1000V) hand-cranker a few years ago from Ralfe's for about thirty six quid. There were a glut of instruments for sale after the IEE Regs demanded a current of 200mA be used for continuity testing.

They're still about on the surplus market and there are bargains to be had.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 4:40 pm   #7

Save you money and get... https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=104271

Old 16th Nov 2016, 5:02 pm   #8
britishrocket
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the comments chaps.

Carl.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 10:56 pm   #9
Radio Wrangler

I've never tried a Chinese one, but I did buy a Japanese made 500v hand-cranked insulation tester for about a tenner at an amateur radio rally in Galashiels, made by Yokogawa. The case is thermoplastic, the gearing isn't as smooth as the classic British ones. I too have one of the little bakelite 250v jobs which works well. I picked up a Major Megger at another rally and found the switched test voltages to be very useful... then no sooner had I got it home than someone gave me another!

Keep your eyes open, good old instruments crop up at quite affordable prices.

The benefit of a magneto operated one is that it'll go no matter how long you left it since you last used it.

David

One credit card slip for chinese-made insulation tester, signed by Austin Powers!
Old 16th Nov 2016, 11:37 pm   #10
Top Cap
Octode

On a lighter note, my late Father told me the story of the factory electricians coming into his workshop to attempt a repair of their hand cranked Megger. After removing some screws the whole thing fell apart with springs and wheels going everywhere. After some 30 minutes of attempting to put it back together, their foreman shoveled up the parts with both hands and dumped them into the waste bin. As he did so he muttered " Megger Mind, Megger Mind"
Old 17th Nov 2016, 6:30 pm   #11
David G4EBT
Dekatron

As a hobbyist, I'm quite content with test gear and other electronics from China - where else do people think such stuff comes from - our homes are stuffed full with Chinese electronics.

I have a Victor V60B 'Digital Insulation Resistance Tester' from the orient, rather naughtily referred to as a 'Megger' MegOhm Meter, but then just as AVO has become a generic term for a multimeter, and people 'hoover' the carpet with a Dyson, I guess those who market insulation testers will tend to refer to them as 'meggers' and let's face it, who can stop them?

I bought it about 3 years ago and have found it to be an excellent bit of kit. It has three DC Voltage settings - 250, 500, 1000v, plus 750V AC. The resistance ranges from 0.1R to 2,000 M Ohm, it's powered from six AA cells (supplied), has a large clear display, a clip on lid to protect the display when not in use, and they typically cost about £45.00 inc P&P.

I first learned of them from an Electrician chum who had one, which - due to the similarity of its appearance - I'd mistakenly assumed was a 'Robin'. From what I can gather, they seem to be fairly well regarded in the trade, and I've been very happy with it. It's interesting to test waxy caps, which can range from a few hundred ohms to infinity, even when subjected to 1,000V DC - well above their stated maximum!

I thought 'Super Steel' two-part epoxy would be ideal for sealing the ends of re-stuffed capacitors as it looks like pitch when set, but wondered if - due to its name - 'Super Steel' might be conductive, rendering it unsuited to that application. I therefore mixed some and applied it to a strip of glass about 5cms long and measured its resistance at 1,000V DC and 750V AC. I've attached a pic below and as can be seen, the display reads '1' which is 'out of range'. In other words, the resistance is greater than 2,000 MegOhm at 1,000V DC, which is reassuring. The first pic shows that test, (the Super Steel on glass is at the bottom of the pic with the test clips attached to it). The second pic shows the end of a re-stuffed cap from a 1930s Ekco, sealed with 'Super Steel'.

Pictures and a full spec of the VC50B can be found here:

http://www.banggood.com/VICTOR-VC60B...-p-937236.html

Hope that's of interest.

(I do have a Bakelite hand-cranked Megger, but just as a curio).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Steel 1000V Insulation Test.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	132935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuffed cap end on.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	132936  
Old 17th Nov 2016, 9:08 pm   #12
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I see there're brand-new Chinese copies of the Series 2 traditional hand-cranked 1kV analogue instrument for sale on the popular auction sites too. 'Buy-it-now' at £31.99.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 17th Nov 2016, 11:10 pm   #13
mark_in_manc
Octode

I have a 'wee megger, variable voltage type' in the usual swirly red bakelite case. This thread reminded me I had it, and I just plugged it into my scope. The harder I crank, the more volts I get - up to 600-700v according to a DVM / AVO 8 if I really go for it - but when I don't crank so hard there's a huge ripple sat on the dc output which (when cranking fast) drops to about 150v pk-pk. Is this normal? No slipping clutch, it seems, in this one - perhaps that's what's implied by 'variable voltage type'...
Old 18th Nov 2016, 10:43 am   #14
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

The one I mention in post #5 is the same type which David G4EBT describes.

Well worth having IMHO.

Andy
Old 18th Nov 2016, 10:56 am   #15
britishrocket
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again for the helpful and informative comments. I too have no qualms about buying and using Chinese made test equipment. I just wanted to find out what experiences were with them.

Carl.
Old 21st Nov 2016, 7:18 am   #16
techiesteve
Pentode

I've had an electronic (no cranking handle) TMK insulation tester for many years and it's suited my usage. It's quite rugged, never had any problems with it. Doubt they are still available new.